Blast from the past

Who remembers The Brown Derby at Monroeville Mall?
Oh yeah, I remember that place, only been there once. How about Howard Johnson's? I worked at one on the turnpike in high school days.
Who remembers when Monroeville mall had the ice skating rink. Perhaps I wandered off topic. Forgive me
Who remembers when Monroeville mall had the ice skating rink. Perhaps I wandered off topic. Forgive me Originally Posted by flows-with-water

Funny you should mention that. I had younger friends watching the original "Dawn of the Dead" and they thought the inside of Monroeville Mall was 'faked' for the movie. I had to tell them thats what it was like back then- clock tower, skating rink. They asked where the rink was & were surprised to find out it was where the food court is at.
The Wendy's on rt 286 wasn't a Wendy's originally that's why it's designed with the sunroom. I believe it may have been a Miami subs, Quiznos, and something else at one point(?). It's bad, I've been in that general area almost all my life and I can't remember ��.

There's a Hoss's on rt 22 in murrysville. Not sure how many of those are left but only one I know of. Pretty sure there is also a ponderosa in Butler that is still open. I used to love going to buffets when I was a kid. Originally Posted by swtslnce
Some Wendy’s do have a sunroom, Latrobe does as well as the one on 22 in Ebensburg. I’m sure there are others but those are two that I’ve been to.
Who remembers The Brown Derby at Monroeville Mall? Originally Posted by DrivesAllDay
How about the Original Oyster House and Di Pomodoro, I'm dating myself but I worked at the Mall late 70's early 80's great place to meet woman back in the day made lots, and lots of friends, and FWB
How about the Original Oyster House and Di Pomodoro, I'm dating myself but I worked at the Mall late 70's early 80's great place to meet woman back in the day made lots, and lots of friends, and FWB Originally Posted by t-bird57

Same friends of mine thought I was kidding when I told them about smoking in the mall. I still remember the day it went non-smoking, as I was walking into Monroeville Mall, cigarette in hand, walked half way thru till I realized no one else was smoking & there were no ash trays. Oops!!

These friends of mine thought I was making it up!!
You should've seen there amusement/amazement at an old cigarette machine at the bowling alley in Dormont. For them it was like discovering an ancient relic.They all took pics for their Facebook/Instagrams. LOL!
Loved the Kings Restaurant that was near me in Gibsonia PA but due to COVID, it closed. Recently the outside was painted an there was work going on inside so was hoping it would soon reopen. Well it has just reopened as a "Medical Marijuana" shop. I am so bummed. Now I have to drive to Butler if I want to go to Kings.
I know the one in Bridgeville was there until relatively recently (last few years). Where, when I say it was "there", I just mean the structure was there and the signs still said King's. Not sure when it stopped operating. It's a Mexican restaurant now. Originally Posted by laserface
Actually you are referring to the former Heidelberg Kings. That is the one that is now a Mexican Restaurant.

The Bridgeville Kings never changed into anything when it closed. The site has been available for lease for a while
Back in the early 60s my father owned a tavern in White Township. You bought a pack of cigarettes from the machine for 30 cents but there was three pennies between the inner pack and the cellophane that you thumbed out after pulling the red opener on top. Now if that doesn't date you nothing does. Sorry to be a little off topic.
In the late 90s-early 2000s, I worked at a newer Kings as a Dishwasher while working on a 2nd degree. I guess you could say I had fun. The pay sucked, and I turned down quite a few propositions. Still kicking myself over that. Time & Age wasn't kind to some of those girls. LOL!

Lets just say if you work at a restaurant you wont eat there.

Not long after I quit most of the staff quit. I always said they left because the guy who did ALL the work was leaving.

And YES! I got to meet Hartley during a banquet for the help that stayed 5yrs or more.

As a busboy/dishwasher I learned that the public assumes just because you're cleaning off tables, you must be deaf or retarded because they'll talk about all kinds of stuff while you're around, even if its something illegal.
There's also a Hoss's in Belle Vernon, the Kings in Bentleyville closed up from covid
Kings was a mainstay of mine back when I was a kid in the 70's 80's. We would get a group of kids to eat the kitchen sink, the Kings Castle or a banana wheel delight. It was a great place....and sad that they are coming to an end of an era. Covid or whatever has fucked up a lot of my favorite places in general. Including titty bars and places of ill repute.
Del Kids was an awesome greasy spoon. 6 egg omelettes, mounds of home fries and a half a pound of bacon. It was open 24/7. Gus was the cook. Miss that place. Off the Craftin exit on 79.
Kings was a mainstay of mine back when I was a kid in the 70's 80's. We would get a group of kids to eat the kitchen sink, the Kings Castle or a banana wheel delight. It was a great place....and sad that they are coming to an end of an era. Covid or whatever has fucked up a lot of my favorite places in general. Including titty bars and places of ill repute. Originally Posted by eyecu2
Kings got bought out several years ago and has been going downhill ever since. It’s like the company that bought it doesn’t know what to do with it, they keep changing the menu etc.

I met Hartley King about 5 years ago, cool guy and really down to earth. I recognized him right away from the old TV commercials when I was a kid, lol.