Prediction...Who will play in the BCS National Championship Game?

Early in the season I predicted LSU vs. Wisconsin, then Wisconsin crashed and burned. LSU and Lester are of course looking good. Arkansas' only loss is to Alabama, and they get their shot at LSU this Friday night. If Arkansas wins then it's absolute, total chaos. If LSU wins out and Bama does too, then it looks like a re-match. Don't count out Va Tech, or OSU as one loss teams. This year OSU doesn't have to play a championship game, that's an edge but also a downside given they could have gotten an extra quality win out of it. If Va Tech wins against Clemson who beat them earlier, that helps them. Stanford is still in it, but they need help, too much it seems. For Stanford to get in, Alabama has to lose the Iron bowl, Va Tech has to lose to Clemson and OSU lose to OU. don't see all those teams losing. What it seems to hinge on is LSU vs. Arkansas this Friday. At this point it looks like LSU vs. Alabama rematch.
  • Go4it
  • 11-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Wanna think about a really weird possibility.

Assume Bama wins out, but LSU loses to UGA in the SEC. Do the polls drop LSU any further than they did Bama when they lost. Thus making Bama 1 and LSU 2. But, by BCS rules, they CAN NOT play each other. Why? Because no conference can have more than TWO teams in a BCS bowl and UGA is the automatic qualifier by winning the SEC.

That would be an awesome mess for us BCS haters. #1 and #2 can not play each other because of BCS rules.
Stanford and LSU
Haven't explored the Stanford-LSU possibility. Wonder how they would matchup?

One of the things I see that effects any matchup with LSU is that their defense is good overall, against the pass, against the run. So the real issue to me is how well a defense can shut down LSU's running game. The running game is what opens up LSU's passing game. When you have five backs carrying the ball, wearing down a defense, it allows the quarterback to pass when he wants, not when he must.
I would just like to see how Andrew Luck can fare against the LSU defense. How good is he? I am also sure most Colts fan want to know the answer to that question as well :-)
Penn State bwahahaha!

I am not a fan of LSU even though I should be. My university's team sucks, so I always rooted for a boyfriend's team. The last one was Penn State...sue me! Also love Bama!
Wanna think about a really weird possibility.

Assume Bama wins out, but LSU loses to UGA in the SEC. Do the polls drop LSU any further than they did Bama when they lost. Thus making Bama 1 and LSU 2. But, by BCS rules, they CAN NOT play each other. Why? Because no conference can have more than TWO teams in a BCS bowl and UGA is the automatic qualifier by winning the SEC.

That would be an awesome mess for us BCS haters. #1 and #2 can not play each other because of BCS rules. Originally Posted by Go4it
can you give me a link to this, I have not heard of this and I listen to sport talk radio 24/7
Stanford is looking good! More BCS chaos and they are in.
Nobody mentioned the University of Houston for the BCS Championship game, especially the powers that be that control the BCS. They dont want the Cougars in the championship game. People will say that Houston plays in Conference USA and is a weak conference. SO WHAT!!! The Cougars do not make the schedule, they just play the games. Houston has no real defense, but they have plenty of offense and can score, score and score some more. LSU and Alabama have great defense, but they would not be able to control the HOuston Offense. Houston would just score as much as possible and hope that would be enough to win the game. The BCS does not want teams like the University of Houston in the big games. Houston does not have a great following and they dont have a big home stadium. Houston actually getting a chance to play in a Championship game would defeat the whole BCS system. When we will ever get a college football playoff system????
Durango, I think you are crazy if you think LSU's defense could not control Houston, but I would like to see LSU play either Houston, OSU or Stanford. I think we need an out of conference and a non-repeat of a game played during the regular season to help bring the doubters over to the purple & gold side.

If both finish undefeated, sounds like a good plan to me.
Houston has too many really good receivers and a quarterback that knows the system and has only three interceptions all year. LSU has a stud defense, really fast, but they could only knock down so many passes, eventually Houston would move the ball and score a lot of points. I think it would be a great game, but I know it wont happen.
Durango, I think you are crazy if you think LSU's defense could not control Houston, but I would like to see LSU play either Houston, OSU or Stanford. I think we need an out of conference and a non-repeat of a game played during the regular season to help bring the doubters over to the purple & gold side.

If both finish undefeated, sounds like a good plan to me. Originally Posted by tigercat
Just like Boise St. would never beat Oklahoma?

Houston is going to get a BCS bid. So long as they don't screw it up it should make for some fun times if the winner of the BCS "championship" game has one loss.
  • Lanny
  • 11-26-2011, 06:50 PM
As Long as LSU handles Georgia in next weekends SEC championship game (which they should)...The reason is simply this: LSU and Bama's lead on the 3rd ranked Hogs was huge...a half a point is VERY difficult to overcome in one week...OK State would seem to have best chance IF they win Bedlam game....but looks more and more like another 9-6 game between re-match between LSU and Bama...

Once again, what a great year for a play-off...who wouldnt want to see high flying Houston or Ok States offenses VS big Defenses of LSU or Bama, or as Bolt said...A Luck/Stanford against those defenses...???
In my opinion there's Alabama and LSU, then everybody else. I believe Alabama is the better team, but playing the BCS Championship in New Orleans gives the edge to LSU.

Meanwhile the Horns Beat A&M!!!
In my opinion there's Alabama and LSU, then everybody else. I believe Alabama is the better team, but playing the BCS Championship in New Orleans gives the edge to LSU... Originally Posted by cookie man
Guess there are no neutral sites for LSU to play at.

They beat Bama at Bama.

They beat Oregon in Dallas and everyone says it was not a neutral site.

They have to play Georgia in Atlanta, boy that is a neutral site.

My question is, if Bama wins in New Orleans, where will they play the best of three series tie-breaker? Oh yea, Bama will get a trophy, no best of three in this case. But if LSU wins, we just get people crying that it was not a neutral site.