Why do we need hobby phones if all you do is text us???

How do you explain to the SO why you have a Google Voice app on your phone? Originally Posted by pyramider
I don't. I access through my web browser (voice.google.com).
How do you explain to the SO why you have a Google Voice app on your phone? Originally Posted by pyramider
i think u say u don't post taint and i need to see taint.
Tinman u r greatness! That's what I needed to know! Perfect.
Fair warning... on some phones the texting for GV does not work. I know on my particular phone I have to text via computer because they do not come through to my phone. Was so happy about my phone upgrade until that one little glitch in the matrix.
Tinman u r greatness! That's what I needed to know! Perfect. Originally Posted by stevehefner
I'm no technical expert (I believe it was Thatdude who helped me navigate GV when I was first playing with it), but one piece of advice: don't tie your regular phone to your GV account until you've thoroughly tested the setup to make sure it works the way you want it, and to know how to switch it on and off. I tested it with my hobby phone at first to make sure it was doing what I wanted it to do (eg, I don't want my real phone number showing up on some lady's Caller ID).

My understanding is the apps are a little easier to use than the mobile version of the website, but once everything got set up I have found it to be acceptable...and preferable to having an app on my phone that I might have to explain.
You don't have to have the app on your phone to use google voice. I use safari private browsing on my iphone and just log in to gv online and text from there.
Fair warning... on some phones the texting for GV does not work. I know on my particular phone I have to text via computer because they do not come through to my phone. Was so happy about my phone upgrade until that one little glitch in the matrix. Originally Posted by GracePreston
Do you have a smartphone? Most of us who don't use the app use the phone's web browser.