Seriously???

My favorite board in California has a forum called "The Bitch Box." Members post everything from "Oh my god, traffic fucking sucks!" to "This asshole won't stop texting me" to "That bitch ripped me off" and they receive some virtual sympathetic back-patting, or some pointed "Go fuck yourself" messages from other members. If you go into The Bitch Box and read the posts, and subsequently get your feelings hurt, it's no one's fault but your own. Everyone knows the back-biting and complaining goes in there. As a result, the rest of the board is fairly upbeat, positive and productive. I like it. Originally Posted by Natalie Reign

I am going to suggest this to the owners. I think that it is a great idea and would take some of the vitriol out of the coed forum. Maybe Austin can be the "test" market for a forum like this, no matter what they call it!!!

And you are, by the way!!!

Spacemtn
AustinModStaff
No, no !@#@!!!

The left cheek is sore from yesterday. Please inject your witch potion on the right cheek today.

:-)
My favorite board in California has a forum called "The Bitch Box." Members post everything from "Oh my god, traffic fucking sucks!" to "This asshole won't stop texting me" to "That bitch ripped me off" and they receive some virtual sympathetic back-patting, or some pointed "Go fuck yourself" messages from other members. If you go into The Bitch Box and read the posts, and subsequently get your feelings hurt, it's no one's fault but your own. Everyone knows the back-biting and complaining goes in there. As a result, the rest of the board is fairly upbeat, positive and productive. I like it. Originally Posted by Natalie Reign
Great idea but it won't affect anything IMHO. Kind of like another "wild west forum" that I really haven't bothered to look at in a long time. It's more fun in coed....

sixx
Been thinking about it this evening so I'll say it again -- excellent idea Space. While I certainly recognize the awesome value of people vomiting on each other, I feel that this the co-ed forum should be more flirt and less dirt. You want to bully someone or call someone a cockydoody or argue over personal matters, then take it there.

If guys and gals want to play Sharks and Jets then there ought to be a place for that. The Bitch Box? Maybe the Out House. Or the Octagon. Or howabouts THUNDERDOME!

But I think more providers and a LOT more of the "silent majority" of hobbyists might participate more if they didn't feel like everything they said might wind up the subject of a monkey shit fight in the zoo.

You've got my support, sir!

(Did you just call Natalie a BitchBox, Space? Just checking )
Actually, this could work really well and be a win/win.
- Those who care to piss and moan can do so in the yet-to-be-named forum without fear of points.
- CoEd and other forums could be held to a higher standard with points flowing freely to those that can't/won't contain themselves.
- Those that like the free and happy (even flirtacious) Co-Ed will get it back, and the piss-mongers will get a forum where they can bitch all they want without the wussified complaining that we they are acting like a-holes.

I really like this idea

Number 1, make it so.

LF
Don't know if the BB pgm will allow it, but perhaps members could "hide" that forum, like a universal ignore button?

That would insert another layer of insulation between the chicken salad and the chicken chit.
  • FSCOB
  • 04-21-2011, 09:00 PM
...call someone a cockydoody... Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Is it a compliment or an insult?

Either way...you are all cockydoodys! (or is it -doodies?)

There. Now I feel better! :-)
I am going to suggest this to the owners. I think that it is a great idea and would take some of the vitriol out of the coed forum. Maybe Austin can be the "test" market for a forum like this, no matter what they call it!!!

And you are, by the way!!!

Spacemtn
AustinModStaff Originally Posted by Spacemtn

Space, i think it would be a great idea. It used to be the Mens Lounge was the place to vent,and since I lost my Premium, i sort of just lurk around the CoEd. There's a lot of dumb stuff on the CoEd, but it can be entertaining and I don't think theres a need for things to be vitriolic on here. Lately it has been approaching toxic levels, to be honest.

My biggest problems with the boards is the same problem I have watching NBA playoffs. You see certain star players, like Kobe douchebag, get away with fouls and being overly chippy.

Which is fine, but as long as that goes both ways and the players are allowed to play. Once officiating becomes perceived as one sided, then it just feels pointless after awhile.

I'm not saying you guys are one sided, I respect the mods job and the crap you have to put up with. But a Bitches Board would be great, a way to funnel all the negativity and allow people to just play ball and not worry about the consequences. Plus it would make the mods job much easier.

Whenever a couple of the infamous members on here want to create more drama out of nothing, you could easily just move the thread to the Bitches Board (or whatever its called) and problem solved.
Maybe the Out House. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
yssup
if you had ever lived out in the boonies, you would have appreciated an "out house"
Now what makes you think I never had to shit in a wooden hole and wipe my arse with corncobs?
Nice idea in theory....but in this case, I got to agree with Sixx

Children will act like children....irregardless if they are in the "special playground" or
out in the Adults' playground

But that does not mean it's not worth a try!
Such section would be of limited benefit.

Staff could certainly move threads already blowing up, but a look at the current threads in CoEd tells us that OP isn't always indicative of oncoming barbs. Would it be fair to the OP to have their thread moved because others came in and degenerated their thread or topic to be condemned to chit pit by others who can't stay on topic or refrain from BS? Even threads that haven't become shit piles have Don Quixote charging windmills and flailing about, all the potential to become a pile of dung.

It could take off if people thought it was getting the attention that CoEd is, but without the audience, it would be as effective as the Sandbox for gathering non-hobby related topics.

Staff could also let the points flow freely in CoEd to encourage the use of the new section as someone mentioned, but what would that accomplish in terms of information exchange and letting people speak freely?

Some of the drama we're talking about depends on people's inability to not post in a thread or skip over a thread they know they don't want to read. Some of the shit stirrers count on that. If those that portray themselves above the shit slinging could keep themselves from the drama or not peek at those they have on their ignore list, half the BS wouldn't take place. Instead, they're clinging so hard to the olive branch they're waving about because they're struggling to push out a bigger turd to throw at someone.
' Bitch Boxes' for the most part don't work. Tempers flare, people sometimes get outed in the anger, personal info detailed, it only creates an increased level of hatred and even though it may be ' limited' to one forum it doesn't eliminate the animosity on the board which is up to the staff to control no matter what you call the forums or how many you create.

Like noted above, what happens when a Co-Ed post gets reported and than the debate begins is this a BB post or a Co-Ed post. What happens when someone in the BB breaks the rules of the board itself and claims the BB allows that style. IMHO the staff is better served simply moderating Co-Ed and letting the BB forum exist on another board all together. It permits ' chit' which will carry over. Many a forum has tried it and failed, this CA board might be the exception to the rule but go around the country and see how the BB forums have performed overall, they simply drive the dagger deeper and than when those BB folks do go in to Co-Ed they often take their chit with them. BB often close. The most successful board in the country doesn't even have a BB, they moderate the existing forums which in turns eliminates the need for a BB.

As anyone on staff or has served on a staff would tell you, moderating is often done off the board contrary to popular belief that moderators just edit posts and points. There are behind the scenes jobs the regular member will never know about and some that they will. They have to deal with review approvals, getting new providers registered, answering e-mails, serving points, communicating with admins and other mods on board issue discussions not privy to the public and a slew of things one can't even imagine in addition to the above mentioned tasks. That was the short list.

Why create more work, a BB will not alleviate a moderators/admins job of babysitting, it will only increase it tenfold. On paper it may sound like a good idea, implement it and revisit the issue in a few months and the staff will be going through more bottles of Ibuprofen than CVS will sell this weekend...

Terrible idea but not my board or place to decide. But I have seen it fail, multiple times on multiple boards. There are people who will request their names and handles be left out of the BB and rightly so, if a person doesn't want drama, BB has proven in time that folks will egg people on and try to drag them from Co-Ed in to the BB to fight. Moderators will spend more time in the BB than they think.

Once again, if the purpose of a BB is to eliminate ' chit' from Co-Ed, the easier answer is to moderate co-ed based on existing board rules , in a way to control the ' bitching' . I can already see the e-mails pouring in to the staff asking ' Why am I being discussed in the BB when I myself haven't posted'; a very fair question to ask. a BB needs much more moderation than folks think. A ton of it. It means even more work for the mods, not less. IMHO
What's the solution then, fellas? Continued lynchings and mob violence? Personal attacks and unlubricated innuendo? (God knows there's none of that here ... even in this thread.)

Should an idea be investigated and/or tested on its intended merit or eschewed because of the "threat" that "boys will be boys."

KC, I'm not sure the issue here is simple bitching. That's going to happen anywhere. It's comments like (we all know what they are) that are written to deliberately hurt others... often in a style and manner that casts even worse inferences on the poster and escalates into a syphilitic pissing match.

Maybe the rules are too lax, too loosely enforced or, more probably, abused by members who can't tell the difference between a debate and a stoning. But they're the rules. I know that mod staffs are up to their elbows in other people's bullshit, but that's the job they accepted... don't think this will increase anything tenfold, but if a super secret moderator was appointed to marshal The Barrel (that's the newest idea for the name) then the responsibility could be shared and our hard working mod staff would only be positively impacted. Maybe that super secret double probationary mod could change every six weeks ... after all, if it's a place to throw fuck yous around, then why not make everybody take a turn in The Barrel?

I believe way too many ECCIE would prefer not to participate rather than try and remove the acrimony from one forum or another. Hence the decreased number of female posters in the co-ed section. Maybe they should just sack up and grow a thicker foreskin.
What y'all are suggesting is that we replace the CoEd section with another section that will be CoEd, with no restrictions? I guess they may as well close the old section down because nobody will post there or read the threads for fear of being bored to death.