wtf Houston Rent eating up Provider Funds

Rents have been going up everywhere not just Houston, TX. So many people have lost their homes and so many are moving into apartments it is causing the rent rates to go up. My nice little place is about 1200.00 a month but I am in a very nice area just outside of Houston. Originally Posted by Sensia
thx for da info. they lost their homes but can still afford $1500 rent!?! that's crazy! i'd think those who lost the homes would go live in a trailer or something they still seem to be pretty rich to me
You should know that the closer it is to downtown, the more expensive rent will be. Especially inside the loop.
checked midtown, 4th ward, they're all going for $1500 and up WTF!!!? Originally Posted by mrlovalova64

You're complaining about $1500 a month? That's really not that much money for a decent place close to downtown. If you can't afford it then you just can't afford it. Try a different "ward" lol! The 2nd, 3rd, and 5th ward may suit your budget a little better.

I remember a friend of mine was renting a loft at gray and bagby for only like $750 a month. Then another friend was renting at alexan lofts by downtown just on the other side of 59 for about $900 a month. This was back in '05 so I don't know what the prices are these days.
Apartment capacity in very high due to the City destroying ten of thousands of units over the past 10 years. Units were being torn down faster than new units were being created.
what a ripoff. i can buy 2 houses and pay less than $2k for mortgage
that all depends where you are... I was looking at a 3bedroom house for 1000.00 a month....
Apartment capacity in very high due to the City destroying ten of thousands of units over the past 10 years. Units were being torn down faster than new units were being created. Originally Posted by pyramider
If that's the case...they're knocking down the wrong shit! I still roll by vacant strip-mall front every day. Tear that down...or price it so the the less fortunate can live there....

Give 'em a discount for being will to lead their entire life in front of 20 x 15 foot glass!
I live inside the loop and pay $1380 for my place but it forced me to stop hobbying. I've been going out more and finally meeting people my age something that's hard to do if you live in the burbs. The only young people in the burbs tend to be boring as hell. I hobby once in awhile but only when I have a dry streak. It's the best thing I could have done for myself honestly.
You should know that the closer it is to downtown, the more expensive rent will be. Especially inside the loop. Originally Posted by kerwil62
Not true. Apts in Sugar Land and Richmond start at $1200. That's a fucking ripoff.
If you want to pay less in rent, live in the loop and still hobby then rent an garage apt. Won't be as nice obviously.
$1200 is a pretty fair price for a decent apt inside the loop...near Heights, Washington Corridor, Midtown area. Check out West Ave and their occupancy rates at their prices. I forget what it is called now...but also check out what used to be called the Bel-Air. My ex and I were paying over $2k a month to live in an apt last year and we thought it was a pretty good deal... I'm a looper for life, so I am willing to pay more for my location
  • Molay
  • 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I've got a place midtown that started at $1250 and has gone up above $1400. It's hard to find a nice place near downtown for less.
The landlord has to cover property taxes, property insurance, maintenance, and overhead including staff salaries. My home insurance is $3600 per year alone. When my AC's stop working I don't get to call the landlord. Renting is a good deal. When your lease is up you can move without worrying about the real estate market being up or down. The rental market is going to be tight from now on for the best properties. I often consider selling and renting as the elimination of property tax and insurance would give me an $1100/mo head start. That doesn't inclue the $200 per month to the lawn guy, $100 per month for the pool......I'm moving!....oh....the $80 per month to the Home Owner's Association.....you NEVER REALLY OWN YOUR HOME! It owns you. The only benefit is I can paint the interior rooms any color I want...but I have to buy the paint.
  • Molay
  • 10-01-2012, 03:01 PM
I own and rent. One of the biggest advantages to owning is the tax deduction. Property taxes...deduction, interest.....deduction, insurance....deduction. The true cost of the mortgage is what you pay less the money saved in taxes. This is usually 15 - 28% of those costs, depending on tax bracket. This does not even take into account the equity which increases over time (hopefully, depending on the market value which tends to be fairly flat in Houston).

Renters pay the exact same costs (all wrapped up in rent), but gain none of the benefits. Based on a true cost analysis, my mortgage is MUCH cheaper than my rent.