Tipping Etiquette? Real gifts?

I am probably just super easy to please.....I've been given 10 in cash plus a $5 gift card to Safeway (grocery store chain) to a $300 1hr date and was pleased as a peach. I've also gotten as much as a $400 on top of a $900 date (almost 45% tip). If she seems off put by an expensive gift it's probably just because she's never gotten anything that nice or pricey. We're women first so a $2 Hallmark card with 20 bucks in it or even a 2k diamond bracelet should be well received and appreciated. I don't think she'll take you for a weirdo or cheapo. But again....i'm fairly easy to please when it comes to gifts (thought that counts and all that). Originally Posted by MOCHAakaMOCHA
Thank you for sharing how you'd feel. That's exactly why I asked.
The best gifts to give a lady in this hobby are the one's she's asked for herself. Read her website and profile for ideas. Generally a thoughtful gift will get you more "mileage" than the equivalent tip in the 50 dollars or less range.

Buying jewelry is dangerous. She might think you are trying to move into emotional territory if you don't know each other well. Also there is the problem of you not knowing her tastes at all. For example, will you choose pave diamond hoops or solitaire studs? Both can cost the same amount but if you guess what her preference is incorrectly she will end up with expensive drawer clutter.
There seems to be an ebb and flow in this world, so give what you feel you wish to give. It'll come back to you in some manner. No one has EVER given me TOO much of a "good" thing and I do try to ensure I give more than is expected. I'm not talking about just "the act", but sharing myself in a mutual and genuinely interested manner. The only gent who is "just" another gent, is the gent who gives nothing of himself, other than the fee necessary for the encounter. Of course, there are plenty of ladies with all different kinds of attitudes and who's to say which is best. WALDT
I agree with plainjoe --- this is my 18th year as a provider, and I prefer gifts to cash. It's more personal, and shows that the friend put some effort into thinking about me. It's very meaningful, without having that odd 'feelings' vibe. Some of my favorite gifts have been a book of poetry I had mentioned, new bright pink golf balls (after I had mentioned how many balls I lost, lol), a cashmere scarf, and a case of my favorite wine (that had to be custom ordered because it can't be bought off the shelf).
There is nothing wrong with tipping. However, many girls would be more than flattered and twice as thrilled with a gift picked out personally for her. A 10 dollar gift that was well thought out will always trump that extra 20 percent tip.

If the lady is having a rough week (month) err towards the side of cash. Otherwise find out what her favorite sweet is (or wine, I am absolutely completely enamored with gentlemen that bring my favorite wine) Bring that.

Unless you are offering a engagement ring or trying to get her to move in with you she is not likely to be upset over a personal gift. In fact she will likely be very flattered you took notice of her as a person rather than a commodity and cared enough to bring something she would like.
I recently had a guy gift me with a "collectible sports car" for my lil grandson {he is 5} who luvs those things! We are close and so we had discussed this...it was a touching gift and my grandson just thinks it is a gift from a "close friend of nana's"! It made my day to recieve it!!
Small gifts can go a long way. I remember buying a t-shirt online of this (now retired) provider favorite band. She had briefly mention the band but I took it upon myself to surprise her. The look on her face when I gave it to her was priceless.
I would LUV it if a guy gets me an ACDC shirt!!!! lol