Firing of our mods?!

• jbonz
  • 03-09-2010, 09:18 PM
You know Eli, maybe this will make GP happy.. We are posting a lot more now!!! :-)
So my question with all of this would be..... "where does this board have to go , where it hasn't yet?"
What are these drastic changes that we need to find?
The story is concluded. Choices have been exercised. These fellas have been given freedom, they were not castrated! Why should a title make any difference at all? They may still express their opinions. They have lifetime backroom privileges. They now are able to hobby on the same level playing field as any other hobbyist. WHY WOULD THE POSITION OF MODERATOR MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE AT ALL? Nothing was lost save a small title.

In life, circumstances change in the beat of a heart. Not everything happens with years of preplanning. Little importance should be attached to what appears to you as an abrupt decision. Somethings happen slowly and others happen swiftly. The end result is the same. You get from point A to point B and that is where you find yourself. We are at point B today. Next stop is point C. Let's move!
This all reminds me of high school - except of course for all of the sex!
No gold watch guys but at least you got Lifetime Premium Access!
I understand there are a lot of emotions going on right now and I can appreciate all of them. Eli and I go back a couple years, we've been in the "trenches" together as moderators on three different sites. jbonz while he was relatively new to the mod scene has made a difference in peoples hobby experience.

This decision was made from the ownership of the site and it was made for the benefit of the community as a whole. It may not make a lot of sense right now but you have to know they (we) have the best interest for the site and membership in mind and in the long run this will turn out for the best.

There are any behind the scenes conspiracies going on and honestly there isn't much to talk about in regards to what happened. If Eli or jbonz feel they were treated unfairly, please contact one of the admin's or the owners and let us know.

Lets start to move forward and get some new staff members in place and try to grow this community.

LAP
As I understand it, both of these mods were and are stand up guys. Nothing nefarious about their departure. Management just had some ideas for going a different direction. It happens in all businesses.

Both of theses guys have served the community for a long time and I am sure they will be great contributors to the community in their own way. I appreciate all they have done for the community over the years.

Now the good news for the newly departed mods: You are free to express your own opinions with out having to worry about being a representative of Eccie, ASPD, or whoever. I retired from ASPD last July and it ws truly liberating. I love to express my opinion, stoke the fire, and post some funny shit. I can also now express opinions about certain people without worry about the politics of it all. You now have the freedom to do so. Enjoy it. Besides: Who really doesn't begin to wonder about mods who do this position for a long time with no pay? I do....

Ladies, if you really enjoyed the work they did, call them up and throw them a freebie. They earned it.
Guys, but them a meal and a beer.

Good luck guys and thank you for doing a job which has more downsides than upsides.
  • jbonz
  • 03-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Lock the thread and lets get on with life.

--jb
  • iggy
  • 03-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Well said JB!!!
I think is was said by another here somewhere, there is a whole bunch of newbie blood lately, like most of us were those many moons ago find these boards to be where they flourish and share their stories and opinions regarding the hobbying world. I've been on both boards for many many years and my interaction comes and goes. Like most of the old guard many of us have found our comfort zones, and for me our comfort gals (hopefully in many cities accross the US..) and probably dont quite need the board as much as we used to. However it was always good to have local mods that have been there done that.
I myself as you all know truly look at this as a hobby, and thus try not to take the board "gossip" very serious.....
As a friend I can say Eli did what I would expect of a mod, I guess we will see what the new blood can do.
Come on now, this is a hobby board. We can't have someone leaving the staff without some bizarre accusations. It just wouldn't be right.

I don't know jbonz, but eli always seemed to be a good guy. Thanks for your efforts, guys.
When Erica Hall makes the following statements:
"...dispose of them so quickly when its apparent that they do alot for us girls especially behind the scenes..."
and
"...it may not seem to you all that they were active but they were very helpful behind the scenes..."
to what, specifically, could she be referring?

Perhaps I misunderstand, but that sounds somewhat troubling to me.
  • GP
  • 03-10-2010, 07:38 PM
When Erica Hall makes the following statements:
"...dispose of them so quickly when its apparent that they do alot for us girls especially behind the scenes..."
and
"...it may not seem to you all that they were active but they were very helpful behind the scenes..."

Perhaps I misunderstand, but that sounds somewhat troubling to me. Originally Posted by Dogstar

Are you trying to imply something? I find that sort of an odd first post ever on the board. Perhaps that would have been better addressed directly to Erica through use of the Private message system.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but that sounds somewhat troubling to me. Originally Posted by Dogstar
I think you are misunderstanding. I believe the mods are often asked by the providers to help with a variety of things and that those things remain discrete.

If you read the 34 or so guidelines for eccie, I think at least four or five would pop out at you as an opportunity for a moderator to discretely help a provider with a board related problem.
Mods are often asked for advice on various matters, most of them hobby related. 95% of the time, the reply a mod gives is to "let it go and do nothing". Often that advice is ignored.

Sometimes people need to vent and a veteran hobbyist in a trusted position is willing to lend an ear. The listener actually does very little but learns to keep his mouth shut. You know: that "discretion thing?"

And then there are the board matters. Fix my ad, remove my unpublished phone number from a review. Thanks for removing my drunken posts last night and cutting my access till I sobered up instead of banning me... (I did that a few times when a gal was hysterical and inebriated at 3am in the morning.)

And once in a while they do the fucked up white knight thing and go pick up a stranded lady, extract a lost sponge from their vagina, or direct them to someone who can help with non hobby related issues. Some of them are hard dicks with a big heart just like many of us.

If EH is good friends with a mod, so what? Mods are hobbyists too. Like many active veteran hobbyists, you occasionally have a social friendship with a gal. I don't have any reason to think that either of them crossed any boundaries that concerned anyone but a busybody drama queen.

No need to smear them or the people they are friends with.