Visiting London!

Point taken.
-Slow
The National Gallery and the British Museum are probably #1 and 2 on most lists of things you must do in London. Hard to disagree. If you're only going for a few days, you might only pick one depending on your interests. My favorite small museum in London is the Courland Gallery. Particularly strong in impressionist and post-impressionist art. Two lesser, but still very interesting museums are the National Portrait Gallery and the Wallace Collection. If you are interested in the decorative arts, the Victoria and Albert Museum is world class.

The Tower is also pretty much an obligatory stop, although if you don't know much about English and British history, it won't be as meaningful.

The Churchill Museum and War Cabinet Rooms are great, but I doubt that they would hold much interest unless you are a history buff and you are knowledgeable (or curious) about that particular period. But my vote is that everyone should be curious about all periods of Western European history, though I admit I may be biased.

If you are a history buff -- noticing a pattern here -- Westminster Abbey is an unsurpassed experience in the UK. A really fascinating place.

Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park is always interesting, albeit not for terribly long.

That ought to get you started.
...Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park is always interesting, albeit not for terribly long... Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Speakers Corner is strictly a Sunday thing, the rest of the week it's just the NE corner of Hyde Park.
London is a wonderful city to explore and soak in, but the food throughout the U.K. is horrible. I loved being there, but I couldn't stand the meals.
London is a great place to visit and the people are nice.
My favorite Irish pub there is Waxy O'Connors its on 14 - 16 Rupert Street
Leicester Square. Great place to meet the locals.
forgot, go to Parliament, much different than our government
Been to London twice in the last few years and it is fantastic sightseeing. I highly recommend using "the Original Tour" for a bus tour of the city. Its a narrated hop on,hop off tour with designated stops, so you can spend as much time at each site as you want. The buses come around about every 15 minutes. Using the tubes is also a great way to get around, very easy to use. Have a great time!
Speakers Corner is strictly a Sunday thing, the rest of the week it's just the NE corner of Hyde Park. Originally Posted by Chainsaw Anthropologist
Indeed. That should be noted.

London is a wonderful city to explore and soak in, but the food throughout the U.K. is horrible. I loved being there, but I couldn't stand the meals. Originally Posted by CLoner
Depends on how much you spend. London has some great high end restaurants now. That wasn't true twenty or thirty years ago. However, even if you are on a budget, London has some of the best and most varied Indian cuisine in the world. A great choice when in London.

The other think that I would mention is to get the Green Michelin guide to London. Nice smallish guide book. Very information dense, but it will fit in your back pocket. Read it before you go and decide what attractions interest you.

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Green...0984213&sr=8-1
Don't forget the Texas Embassy, right behind the Canadian embassy (the cabbies will know where it is). You can get the smallest portion of fajitas you've ever seen for the most you've ever paid!!
bigbob, I'm sorry, no disrespect intended, but you are WAY WAY off the mark.. but I won't go into it here because we've been asked not to. The UK is a different place. Most cops don't even carry guns on their person (and don't need to).

My advice on how to enjoy London is to embrace it.

- The draft beer is warmer, but it has MUCH more flavor. Try lots and learn what you like and don't like. Warning: if you do this, you'll never want a Bud Light or a Coors Light again.

- Try lots of French wines. We can hardly get any here because the government blocks them to protect the domestic industry.

- Avoid the 'american friendly' restaurants and chains. They're shitty. Pick something that London is known for. I highly recommend Indian food. If you like texas BBQ, try Chicken Tikka Masala. Awesome stuff! Pubs are great too, but avoid the 'chain pubs'. Find the local ones. If you want an upscale restaurant, try the River Cafe. One of the best restaurants in the world... and you'll pay for it. Note: portions are smaller in the UK and food costs more. That's why there aren't as many fatties.

- Get used to the transport system - it rocks. Get a pass for the underground and you can zip all over the city. The map is easy to understand (if you're not from the Carolinas). When you emerge, you can jump in a taxi to your final destination and it will only cost a few pounds.

DON'T be the American redneck from Texas who wants everything to be the same as it is at home – embrace new experiences and have fun. London is one of the most awesome cities in the world. Makes Dallas feel like a hick town.
Yes, the English food mostly sucks. Focus on the ethnic restaurants; Italian, French, Greek,etc.
TexTushHog's suggestions are excellent. The small museum of Impressionist paintings that he refers to contains a few pieces that rival those in Paris. He has been around London and knows art because few tourist are aware of it.
Shea, perhaps you need one of us to be your guide?
Also, British Theatre is excellent.
I agree, use the metro as much as possible. London is divided into zones Your metro ticket pass price depends where and what zones you travel in.
Ask to make sure you aren't paying for to much for where you want to travel. Don't forget to "Mind the Gap"

If you enjoy Sherlock Holmes, don't forget to visit 221B Baker Street

See St. Paul's Cathedral where Charles & Diana were married, and where Diana's funeral took place

griff52
PM ME!!!! I will be happy to meet up with you one afternoon/evening while you are in London

The museums are great, Soho is a must see for a giggle, Hyde park is a great way to spend a lazy afternoon ( I eat my lunch near Speaker's Corner at least 3 times a week).

Oh, it's been a fairly dry summer here. Be sure to bring something warm for the evenings and comfy shoes.

Hope to see you here (there)!!!

Nicole

PS it's expensive here, very expensive!!! For shopping I can take you to Primark on Oxford street...it's the Target of the UK, LOL.
As you can see, there is SO much to see and do, but if you get the chance to take a day trip on the bullet train to Paris, it is worth it even if it is only for a day.
JB