Memorial Day

Although this is a special day, It doesn't take a special day to remember my high school buddies that made the ultimate sacrifice in Nam for this country, as I remember them in my heart always. Originally Posted by cumalot
There were 3 in my high school graduating class who died in Nam, There were 4 more, 2 in the class before me and 2 in the class after who also made the ultimate sacrifice.

I also had a very close personal friend who died years later. His name is not on The Wall but he was just as much a Vietnam War casualty as those listed.

I travel to DC frequently and regularly visit The Wall to honor their memory as well as those I served with.

I must admit that each time I visit The Wall, the thought occurs to me that I am so fortunate that my name was not among those listed. However, I am never far removed from the realization that it easily could have been!

May they each RIP!
Great thread DG. Thanks to all those who served and to the families of those who lost a loved one.
As a person who memorializes two family members who served let me be one of the first to acknowledge the solemn occasion.

Rant begins.
However, let me also wonder how many people really do care about service members past and present. Vets are dying because of a lack of healthcare (and no Obama can't be blamed for it all since it's been happening for at least 50 yrs). Vets risk their lives and make the ultimate sacrifice and yet are very poorly compensated for doing so. Most military branches (maybe with the exception of the Air force) drive Hummer's and other nice cars to poor communities looking to recruit with fools gold so that Ivy league attendees can graduate.

I say let's put it to a public vote in the form of pay to see how much we really value our freedoms. I'm willing to bet many of the people in Congress wearing flag pins and screaming "you're a great American" would vote NO in a second on a base pay of $300k /yr + incentives. Showing dead soldier pictures on TV and giving a moment of silence is easy. Really easy.

Rant over.

RIP to the fallen and God Speed to the wounded and currently enlisted.
ATF Dorian Gray thread, I'd love to see the salaries of congress members cut & put into the VA.

~
I've lost 2 high school friends in the Iraq war. It was very hard for my home town considering we all grew up together and know everyone and their families.
So this day is a day I thank them for their sacrifice and my freedom. Too many people forget what today means.
Every time I hear this song it makes me think of all those who have given their lives in service to their country. A great song to remember those who have passed & for Memorial Day
The Statler Brothers - More Than A Name On A Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm1p8SlhEsI&feature=kp
This was well done DG!!!
Thank You Sir!
Respect the fallen. Learn from history. But do not apologize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4fqJNssIo
  • Trey
  • 05-29-2016, 08:39 AM
There is no reason to honor dead enemies. We honor our own. They can do what they want with theirs. The Obama apology tour needs to stop. I am not sorry we nuked Japan at all. They would not have stopped at 2 if it were them.
  • nu2
  • 05-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Obama should visit our soldiers at Pearl Harbor, and the other military installations on Hawaii after his recent apology tour.

President Obama ought to fly to Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii and take a look at the bullet holes in the Headquarters building from the Japanese planes that are still their today from the war.

I will never forget the sight of the bullet holes in the concrete building and all the people that died for our freedom.

God bless the U.S.A.
They would not have stopped at 2 if it were them. Originally Posted by Trey
We stopped two partly......

......because that's all we had.

Good thing the mo fos worked.

For all:

Yeah.....no apology. Those Japanese leaders had millions killed. Just look at the march they made along the pacific coast and how many innocent Chinese civilians they killed.

#ObamaTheApologizer
  • cr76
  • 05-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Still a relevant thread a year later & every year that follows.

Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Very well said - like the new avatar as well - who are the pilots in the photo??
Excellent thread...thank you.