On another funny note...

• Carl
  • 09-30-2010, 04:06 PM
There are other threads to have a debate about who said what when and who is wrong and who is right. This is a joke. Originally Posted by Sensual Sophia
A joke? Really? Then why do have a raging boner?

My mistake. I fell asleep again with the universal remote in my lap.
  • 09-30-2010, 04:31 PM
There are other threads to have a debate about who said what when and who is wrong and who is right. This is a joke. Originally Posted by Sensual Sophia
It's the right thread to say, "Sometimes I feel like asking if they'd like some cheese to go with that whine. Can't afford her? find someone you can. Not making enough money? change your business strategy," though, right?
It's the right thread to say, "Sometimes I feel like asking if they'd like some cheese to go with that whine. Can't afford her? find someone you can. Not making enough money? change your business strategy," though, right? Originally Posted by 78704
I honestly didn't think my comments would offend anyone, since they were hypothetical "whiners" and both types of posts have been seen occasionally on this board. Didn't name any names or quote anyone or link to any thread -- it was just a general comment about my personal reaction to those who complain about rates or their lack of success as a provider. I believe it's a free market and men should vote with their wallets and the losers in the marketplace will eventually up their game, lower their rates, or leave. I guess I just don't see any reason to discuss the obvious day in and day out -- the market takes care of these things. But really, I was just quickly and carelessly responding to Jasmine's anti-whiner comment. I thought my comments were neutral and non-combative but I should have known how they could be dissected and reinterpreted. Yes, I should have had the foresight to realize that a generic and hypothetical statement that applied to a small minority of individuals of both genders would be read as an attack on all males.

But too late to edit my unintentionally inflammatory comments. So I will just have to apologize. Sorry to any and all who have been offended.

I am thinking I might finally do what so many others have long ago done and stop posting in eccie co-ed. At least for a month or so...

Best wishes to all.

I am thinking I might finally do what so many others have long ago done and stop posting in eccie co-ed. At least for a month or so...

Best wishes to all. Originally Posted by Sensual Sophia

that would be a sad consequence---i thoroughly enjoy your posts. however, i can also appreciate how you feel.
Love it my dear, so very glad to see you've not lost a bit of your wit!

I believe they come from the school of "it don't hurt to ask", though the true "old school" master of this technique is the one and only:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ6xBaZ92uA

I say if you only have a "Goodwill" budget, there's nothing wrong with that, but by all means go shopping at Goodwill. Me... I'm not a non-profit organization, so I ask folks to please refrain from that kinda BS in my office.

HD

And "Yes", sorry that I responded to a post that was over 30 days old... I just couldn't resist!
I have been in sales a long time and every once and a while I get the, "This item is $1 cheaper at your competitor." Im at the point now that I tell them that they should spend their $3/gal gas and drive across town and save that $1. Open peoples eyes to how rediculous they sound and good results come..........at least in my experence.

Nice thread Sophia.
An article in Business Insider a few months ago discussed how women make less money than men partially because they negotiate less for raises and a higher salary. However, it also said women who asked are more likely to be turned down and viewed negatively for it. Sucks no matter how you look at it.

I'm not sure I could ask for a higher salary at work, but in Mexico I can haggle like nobodys business. Its because I don't mind walking away if I think its over priced.
Bloody brilliant video!

I can't speak much on higher salaries for gender, but I think "squeaky wheels" get the "grease" and this wheel doesn't squeak much.

On another note, you get what you pay for. It's one thing to haggle on a product where you can have a fair comparison (iPod nano at Walmart vs. iPod nano at boutique store) and volume could reduce the retail price. However, it's not as easy to do the same comparisons with service since service in general is YMMV.

"Show me how you make it and we can do it at home" Ha!

That's a big point in negotiating, Maddie. The willingness to walk away when it's over-priced and you're in the market. In China, the street vendors have been using foreign catalogs so they can see the current pricing outside of their country so it reduces the advantage of haggling when compared to a decade or so ago.
@Hardriver: Thanks! I missed you. Glad to see you poking your head back in here.
This didn’t make me laugh, it made me angry. It brought back bad memories. For over 25 years I’ve worked in just about every aspect of customer service there is.

I’ve worked as a phone tech in technical support, manager in both customer service and technical support, forum moderator for a large corporation, created policies based on customer needs. I’ve also worked in retail and dealt with the public face to face. I’ve had to deal with situations like these all the time.

What bothers me about them is that people actually believe what they’re asking for is acceptable and get upset when you “don’t see it their way”. It’s bad enough when people try to try to bargain before purchasing something. I’ve had to deal with people who purchase a product, take it home and use it, then come back and demand a partial refund because they think they paid too much. I’ve dealt with people who can’t afford something and want it free. They’ve gotten angry when I refused.

Because of my experiences, I never have and never will ask a provider for a “discount” because I know what it’s like to have say “NO”. If I can’t afford it, I don’t buy it.
This didn’t make me laugh, it made me angry. It brought back bad memories. For over 25 years I’ve worked in just about every aspect of customer service there is.

I’ve worked as a phone tech in technical support, manager in both customer service and technical support, forum moderator for a large corporation, created policies based on customer needs. I’ve also worked in retail and dealt with the public face to face. I’ve had to deal with situations like these all the time.

What bothers me about them is that people actually believe what they’re asking for is acceptable and get upset when you “don’t see it their way”. It’s bad enough when people try to try to bargain before purchasing something. I’ve had to deal with people who purchase a product, take it home and use it, then come back and demand a partial refund because they think they paid too much. I’ve dealt with people who can’t afford something and want it free. They’ve gotten angry when I refused.

Because of my experiences, I never have and never will ask a provider for a “discount” because I know what it’s like to have say “NO”. If I can’t afford it, I don’t buy it. Originally Posted by SGlass
Bravo, SGlass.

Glad I read to the end of the thread before commenting, cuz my post would've been a duplicate of yours.

The service industry, no matter what branch, is a tough row to hoe.

B.