Austin Employers Suck!

When someone says, "You're overqualified" I always imagine they're thinking: Sooooo, you could probably take my job in about a week? No sir, I don't like it. Originally Posted by GRIN OF SIN
Nope, they're thinking, "great, we'll put in a month or two to make this person useful to us, then they'll find the job they really wanted and flake out without so much as a fuck you very much. Why bother?
HR people are not worried about "hiring their own replacement". They're hired to find the most affordable, qualified, dependable employee they can.
Here's another thing, if you're into computers, you have to make your own job rather than apply for it.
Thank god I'm in healthcare! My brother got laid off by Cisco after 10 years of work. He was making a lot of money. (Like 200K or something) as a network systems/security guy. Now he's been unemployed for months.
Nope, they're thinking, "great, we'll put in a month or two to make this person useful to us, then they'll find the job they really wanted and flake out... Originally Posted by nuglet
Would have made sense to me a few years ago, but considering how many temps we're getting with college degrees, it seems like an outdated assumption by those doing the hiring... unless these overqualified guys/gals are flaking out on permanent positions to become temps.

Perhaps businesses should create a "desperation clause", where you agree to stay with the company for a specific amount of time.
I interviewed for a position in Odessa about a year ago. They straight up told me they thought I'd leave after a few months. I owned a home in Midland, and gave them my personal guarantee I would stay for at least a year. Neither ultimately worked. They were kind enough to send me a "reject" letter which I truly do appreciate companies for sending out.
Thank god I'm in healthcare! My brother got laid off by Cisco after 10 years of work. He was making a lot of money. (Like 200K or something) as a network systems/security guy. Now he's been unemployed for months. Originally Posted by chuckiered

Your brother can't be a consultant?
You need to create a dumbed down resume. Don't list all your education and experience. Cut your past salaries down by half or more.

I know this seems counterintuitive, but it will help you land a full time job until something better comes along.

I have a friend that used his non-writing hand to complete an application, so he'd look more dumb. He also didn't list his college education. He got the job - go figure.

FWIW - I've heard lots of stories of people with double majors and master's degrees that can't get jobs at Starbucks. Don't be shy to omit things from your resume when applying for lower-end jobs.

P.S. - Consider commuting or moving to other cities. Start looking for jobs in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. You have three major cities within 200 miles of Austin.
Don't judge all by the actions of a few! I am an Austin employer and we are currently interviewing for a new, full-time position! We should have it filled by the end of next week!
Your brother can't be a consultant? Originally Posted by Miso Horny
He's doing that now, but not really into it. States that the jobs are too few and far between. His biggest complaint is that companies want to do stuff on the cheap and he ends up doing the "quick fix" instead of a real solution to the problem. So he's still looking for something permanent.

He's got health concerns too. So he needs benny's and insurance. That's probably the biggest issue for him.
Unfortunately, it goes both ways.

Many employees suck, too. They'll leave at the drop of a hat, not show up without a good excuse, not bother to do what's right for the company, steal, goof off, piss off customers, sabotage stuff if they get pissed off, not bother to fix things, do the absolute minimum required to not get fired, do low quality work, etc.

This has always been something of a problem, but I think it's worse. Some years back, companies decided that employees were just an expense item, not part of the company. Fire employees when you can, cut salaries and benefits, screw them out of as much as you can, outsource work if you can, treat them like shit, buy it overseas, etc.

The end result is bad employees and bad employers. As a customer, how often do you find yourself dealing with someone who really seems to care about doing a good job these days?
Gneissguy, you have some valid points but it really has nothing to do with trying to find stable work for those involved in information technology.
Gneissguy, you have some valid points but it really has nothing to do with trying to find stable work for those involved in information technology. Originally Posted by Miso Horny
I think it does. The employers are not thinking about the employee as a human being or part of the business. They're thinking about them as a disposable piece of equipment.
  • 01-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Here's another thing, if you're into computers, you have to make your own job rather than apply for it. Originally Posted by Miso Horny
I'd say you *get* to make your own job; do good work in your favorite language on your favorite open source project for a while and you'll definitely get offers.
I can sympathize with getting layed off ... been there more than once. But its not because Austin employers suck ... or any other city for that matter. The problem we face today is of a global nature. The global economy and the new world order. This is not just bs anymore it is real and growing more day by day. Sadly enough the American people gave up our right to work and live as we see fit in this country many moons ago when we allowed the Federal Reserve Act to be put into law back in 1913. Since then the central banks have been earnestly working on taking over the economy in not just our country but every country in the world. Look around, open your eyes. Voice your opinions. If this country printed and controlled our own currency and economy we would prosper and be free of debt. There have been more than one politician including past presidents that have been disposed by the powers that be because they wanted just this for our country. Think about it.

There are some great suggestions here about writing a resume based on the current conditions. I would also look into the future and suggest creating your own income based on your skills. It can be done. I would also suggest looking at startups and smaller businesses not these overweight corporations. Networking and using the 6 degress of seperation paradigm is also a handy tool. The guy I work for now (owner and CEO) called me last year with a job offer just because of networking.
  • Vyt
  • 01-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Believe it or not the Austin tech job market is among the best in the country. It's a *lot* worse everywhere else.

But it's competitive. You will have 20 people competing with you for the same job. You have to be better than those 20. Sell yourself. Show you know the job reqs backwards and forwards, that you have a good work ethic, and that yes, you're overqualified but willing to get in on the ground floor to prove yourself to the team and to the company.

And be prepared to not get the job, and to apply to 30 others. And be thankful there ARE 30 others, because in other cities, there aren't.