What's your favorite Cajun restaurant?

I had forgotten about Floyd's. I went to the one on Shepherd between I-10 and Washington. I asked for some Remaulade Sauce and they made it on the spot. I was impressed by that and the food as well.
I like Swamp Shack in Kemah.
http://crazyalanswampshack.com/

In Remembrance of a great one from the past.................
RIP Pe-Te's. http://www.houstonpress.com/news/end...un-era-6550289

You just not going to see the real thing outside of Acadiana. Bottom line. Creole food yes, Cajun, a pale shade of grey outside of cajun country.
I am originally from southern Louisiana and I have had a difficult time finding decent cajun food. Thankfully, Boudreaux's off Tomball Pkwy is about as close as I could find. I knew it was good when I ordered the jambalaya and it wasn't just dirty rice and gumbo. It's not the cheapest place, but it is definitely worth it.
Leo's is galveston has good tasso.
BENNO's is now too touristy but have a good all you can eat catfish Friday night.
i just cook it at home.
I only have jambalaya at home for sure, all restaurant versions are crap, but Gumbo at Roux Pour is almost as good as my Mom's.
Popeyes
Juan's Taco truck
No preference. My Hobby Lobster and I have never had a bad experience at any of the chains There was that one time though that... GS did send some crawdaddies back because they weren't spicy enough... Originally Posted by Alyssa XOXO
GS likes spicy things...no way!? Who woulda thunk it???...lol

Thanks. I really don't know much about Cajun food. I grew up in South Texas where there was a taqueria on every corner. I am definitely looking forward to going back to Floyd's, getting more bold, and trying something completely different. My latest love has been Japanese food, but I didn't even begin to appreciate it until a couple of years ago. Maybe Cajun will be next...?

I stopped in Lafayette the other day and ate some gumbo at Prejean's. Does anyone know a place in Houston that rivals their gumbo? (Is gumbo more Cajun or creole, or are they the same thing? I feel silly for asking, but figured this was as good a place as any to make a fool of myself).
My favorite one there is the duck and andouille sausage gumbo.

I know my response to this thread is late, but I saw AXOXO post a pizza-eating emoji on another thread and it reminded me to come back to this one.
  • Trey
  • 10-06-2016, 11:50 PM
The word gumbo comes from an African word for okra so I would assume it to be "Creole" in origin. Honestly the foods are so much the same the biggest difference between the to is the color of the cook. I know a white lady that puts squirrel in her gumbo that version I'm gonna call cajun.
My experience is that okra gumbos have a thinner base and often have tomato.

Cajun gumbo has a much thicker french roux.

somebody can correct me but rarely do i remember having okra in Acadiana gumbo and usually it's an adder or they ask you if you want it.

like beer and pussy.....there is no such thing as THE best gumbo. I've had many gumbos that were great and look and tasted differently. various color, thickness, and texture of ingredients can generate a lot of different combinations of goodness.

Hell I remember back in the day Luby's would dump the week's leftover seafood into a Friday gumbo.

Every fuckin Friday it was different. But it was always good. Some of us ate two bowls. They were never stingy on the meat.

YappyMarie.....can you post a pic of that Prejean's gumbo? maybe i can suggest something close.

Surely you captured the moment.
Sorry, no pics of it. I'll have to check their website. The roux is super dark and thick (and not in a sexual way).

#YappyWhoresMatter
Houston - Floyds does a good job for the real stuff Mamou Cafe in the heart of Mamou, La. right across from Freds lounge
Here's a pic off their website:

So many places serve what they call gumbo - and they are not anywhere near it. Prefer seafood gumbo and sausage thrown in but NO FUCKING OKRA EVER