Are you a RESPONSIBLE shopper?

It's a truly sad situation when one can't find, even if they want it, a product that isn't produced off shore. From low end to high end if you read the labels it's a veritable lesson in geography seeing countries that ship their goods here for the retail trade.

My sister worked several years as a women's sportswear buyer for various medium sized retail chains across the midwest,living in such exotic locations as Edmond, OK, Milwaukee, and Dayton. Her comments on the markups on any retail clothing were "you wouldn't believe it!"

If you pity the poor merchant marking down 50%, don't, They break even at about 25% of list price....and the high end designer names, these guys are absolutely greedy in sating those who want high end label name clothes. The stuff they sell is made in the same factories (sweat shops) that Sprawl Mart and others use. The only thing that changes is the label and the stitching pattern.

If I can find something appealing made in the US or even somewhere close (brazen NAFTA plug), I try to buy it regardless of price. Sadly, it happens less and less often that I am able to do so.

**A minor note for you NASCAR fans that dislike the "Japanese" Toyotas. They're the only manufacturer whose body style (Camry) is actually produced in the US. The Chevy Monte Carlos and Dodge Chargers come from Canada and the Ford Fusion is assembled in Mexico.**

This said, like most others I'm guilty of purchasing more foreign merchandise than I would like simply because it's more conveniently available. I don't necessarily feel good about it just happens.
Do you have a social responsibility for your spending or do you turn a blind eye and just buy what you want? Originally Posted by Nicolette Bordeauxva
Why would you buy anything other than "what you want"? The question makes no economic or logical sense.
I've been a carpet factory in Giza, Egypt where they make rugs and carpets. I've been to a lot of peoples houses where they have one or more of those styles of rugs thrown across their floors. They use kids under the age of 6 to make them. I would never buy one of them rugs. The Egyptian guide said they pay the kids about .10 to .25 cents a day. It was truly a sad sight.
After reading this thread it is apparent there is an abundance of bullshit produced right in this country.
Have you ever tried to get a 5 year old to mow the lawn? It isn't easy.