Socials

Soooo...were you outed? Originally Posted by Prolongus
So far I have been very fortunate. However, knowing that those individuals have the information, given what they have done in the past, is quite disconcerting.The only good thing is that, theoretically, that email can no longer be tied to any board persona.

But if you have seen the most recent email, which the mods have seen, there are people absolutely at risk. There are personal emails, work emails and school emails mixed in with those hobby emails. The more people who have your information the riskier it gets. And for some reason certain people do not seem to get that the same discretion needs to apply to the socials as to other hobby activities.
And for some reason certain people do not seem to get that the same discretion needs to apply to the socials as to other hobby activities. Originally Posted by Fort Worth Punk
Exactly. Some simply refuse to see past their own desire to have some sort of party or get-together. They think "well I'm screening everyone, so it must be OK!" This means the attendees have to place their trust in the host's discretion and screening ability, AND hope that someone else at said event isn't also an indiscrete fool, or worse, a potential threat to privacy. Public calls for attendance don't seem to align with an exclusive group that can be security conscious.

But, since these some of these are simply poorly-disguised attempts to earn $$$, greed takes over good sense.
Exactly. Some simply refuse to see past their own desire to have some sort of party or get-together. They think "well I'm screening everyone, so it must be OK!" This means the attendees have to place their trust in the host's discretion and screening ability, AND hope that someone else at said event isn't also an indiscrete fool, or worse, a potential threat to privacy. Public calls for attendance don't seem to align with an exclusive group that can be security conscious.

But, since these some of these are simply poorly-disguised attempts to earn $$$, greed takes over good sense. Originally Posted by Duke of G
My bigger concern is that for some reason the people running socials think it's OK to give the information to other people, in this case hobbyists rather than the provider it was sent to. If someone is going to "screen" to attend as they would with an appointment I would hope they understand the same discretion is required with the information after they have it.
Count me in on this dallas fun
Socials? Like gatherings of people who enjoy a similar activity?

Who would have thought!