NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

Well, you're not going to see too many teams playing "inspiring" offensive football against that Seattle defense.

And as shitty as you might think those play action plays which leads to sacks and run plays are, it lead to 20 points before the half, and while Seattle held serve in the second half (like a great defense should do), our defense was just as good, up 14 with 8 minutes, that is about as good as you can do against that Seattle team, you are not going to blow that team out, they are arguably the best team in the league right now, neck to neck with Denver.

The two turnovers are what blew that game.
I agree with Wake up, shitty play calling any fool(even Pete Carroll) can know is coming. What happened to running the pitch to Foster that picked up 16 early in the game again? It worked, run it again!! Kubes fucked Dopey with that call, Dopey fucked us all with that decision. The Dopey Turtle!!

Hey Wakeup, we saw the 5 previous bootlegs, Kubes didn't, he was studying the Grand Slam with Extra bacon on his menu!!

I think I will streak the next home game and "Snatch" Kubes menu so he will be forced to pay attention to the game and not a side order of bacon!!
But WU was saying we were too conservative in the second half, and the conservative call would have been to run that pitch again on that 3rd down play, but Seattle would have seen it coming and we would have been short of the first down. We went aggressive on that play call. The problem is Schaub shouldn't have thrown it and should have just turtled up. I can't imagine Kubs telling him to throw it if it wasn't open, he probably wanted Schaub to go down like the rest of us if nothing was there.
Have you guys even been to Denny's lately? They have fold out menus...

You guys are thinking of Waffle House menus...Kubiak obviously wants his bootleg passes scattered, smothered, covered, and chunked...

I think we have a different definition of conservative...conservative is whatever ISN'T working to get first downs...THAT'S what Kubiak does when he gets a lead...he continues to do what isn't working, rather than find what is. I don't care about run vs. pass...
No wonder he is confused, I can't find the side of bacon either??? WTF I need to stare at it some more like Kubes!!!
Side of bacon is on the other side...

Like Kubiak's play sheet, Waffle House menus have two sides...and both sides are full of shit that is guaranteed to give you heartburn...and diarrhea...

I think we have a different definition of conservative...conservative is whatever ISN'T working to get first downs...THAT'S what Kubiak does when he gets a lead...he continues to do what isn't working, rather than find what is. I don't care about run vs. pass... Originally Posted by Wakeuр
Well yeah, he's conservative by nature. But he's had good success in the last two years being that way in terms of wins/losses.

As far as gaining first downs after building a lead, most teams with average QB's do the same thing. Unless you have an elite or really good QB, there is no reason to risk trying to score more points (especially in our case because our defense is great). It's hard to build on a lead with an average QB, especially against a team like Seattle.

We don't have an elite QB because most of the big money guys are on defense (Manning, Joseph, Cushing, Reed, Smith), we're a defensive team. Being up 2 scores with 8 minutes to go, it should have been on them to win us the game. But they did not get their chance to hold that lead because of a pick six. That was on Schaub.

I don't see what more Kubs could have done to get us a win, being up 20-3 should have been more than enough against arguably the stingiest defense in the league, you're not just going to continue to pile points on a team like that and blow them out. It's unrealistic to expect us to score more than we did, we put up more points on them than anyone else this season so far that has played Seattle.
You watch film and gameplan a team all week...then you scored 20 points in the first half...they make adjustments at halftime to stop you...you make adjustments to work a round what they're doing to stop you and KEEP SCORING POINTS!

There is no such thing in the NFL as "scoring enough points to let your defense win it for you"...especially when that point total is only two scores...

That's what Kubiak does...he gets a lead, and automatically starts thinking "how can I protect the lead", not "how can I expand this lead"...and when you have a dramatically mediocre quarterback, mixed with impressively mediocre play calling, you get situations where NO defense can hold your lead...

That's his conservatism...and he hasn't has "good success" with that game plan...he's had "just enough success to make the playoffs in a decrepit division" in the past...look how far that gets us against teams who aren't conservative...

Our mediocre quarterback helped put up 20 points on perhaps the best team in the league in the first half...that same mediocre quarterback was in there during the second half...so what changed to let us score no points?
Seattle really never stopped us on offense though in the second half, we stopped ourselves, Ben Tate allowed them to score int he third quarter, and Schaub allowed them to score in the fourth. We had them dead to rights.

With most of the teams, I'd agree, but with us, SF last year before Kaep started, when the Jets were good with Sanchez, there was absolutely still teams that just wanted/were happy to play defense to win games, including us, and it worked out pretty well in terms of winning/losing.

And yeah, he has had enough success to make the playoffs, what change can we expect? We can't fire him, Bob won't fire him after an 8-8 season, there is no way he will fire him after a playoff appearance.

We didn't score in the second half because Seattle's D stiffened up, this happens a lot. Our defense did the exact same thing in the first game of the season when we didn't allow SD to score again after being up 28-7, it's what great defenses are capable of doing. We have a great defense, and so do they.

But these last three paragraphs is not what I wanted to get into, I'm not here to say Kubs is one of the better coaches in the league, I'm not here to defend the majority of the moves he has made. I'd take Sean Payton or Belichick over him, who wouldn't? I'm here to simply defend him from yesterday's game, that's it. I'm making the case as to why the choke job was more on the players than on him or the other coaches, who you seem to be putting more of the blame on.

I'm not here to defend his body of work, I've given him shit as much as anyone in the last few years, but yesterday, I put that on Tate and Schaub more than I do anyone else. If you want to shit on some his play-calling/decisions in the Ravens game last week, i'm not going to defend him. I thought the coaches sucked just as much as the offense last week.
Some honest truths

1. Kubiak can design some outstanding and extremely creative plays.
2. Kubiak is not very good at calling the right play at the right time to catch the other team off guard. He cannot put together his great plays in a sequence that will result in wins. Like the player from Seattle said, on 3 and 4 Kubiak always calls the same play. Is it any surprise that it got intercepted. Teams NEVER wonder what Kubiak is going to call in certain situations, they know what he is going to call. It is only when the game is a complete disaster and out of hand and Kubiak toss everything away and just wings it does he catch people by surprise and the team does well.
3. Matt Schaub is not going to get any better, only worse. The mistakes will become more common. His high point was the Denver game last year, he has not been the same since then.
4. Matt will not be benched this year, that is not the way that Kubiak, Smith or McNair works. We will have a new QB next year, expect the Texans to draft one never year. And NO Case and TJ will NOT be in consideration.
5. How will be finish? 8-8 and Kubiak stays because it will basically be Matt's fault.
As I said...defenses will make adjustments at half...it's a coaches job to find things they HAVEN'T adjusted to and use them...Kubiak will never do that, he'll keep calling the same plays he did in the first half, and when they don't work, he'll chalk it up to "we have a lead, we're okay"...

That's what he did this past weekend...as he always does...using what no longer works...conservative...

P.S.-Trust me, I get it...I'm not really talking about Schaub because if I get started on that douchebag I'll be here all night...
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say because we're 2-2 what Kubs does "no longer works," we were a choke job away from being 3-1.

12-4 last season
10-6 the year before that

It's kind of shitty that we haven't had a better QB to work with. I mean, look at Kyle Shanahan and all the shit he was able to do with RG3 last year, we have a very similar offense, and RG3 is able to limit his turnovers because he can just haul ass when things break down and push comes to shove.

A new QB might all be that's missing, and we can do that through the draft. We can trade up. Jets did it for Sanchez, Falcons did it for Julio, there is no reason we won't be able to do that, and Schaub will be gone before Kubs most likely. And our drop off may not be that big, Seattle made it work with Wilson in just about half a season before he took off, Kaep did it almost immediately. In fact, Kaep is playing shitty right now for his standards and is better than Schaub

But before we go that far, Schaub still has plenty of time to redeem himself, he'll have to start by winning at SF or in KC within the next 3 weeks.
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say because we're 2-2 what Kubs does "no longer works," we were a choke job away from being 3-1. Originally Posted by TheDon
Problem is, we're one Cushing turnover from being 1-3. You can always point to one play or one mistake that could turn a game around. And yes, Kubes has had some success the last two seasons, but have you looked at the guy's career record as a head coach? By my calculations he's 61-55. In 7 1/4 seasons. It took him until last season to get a winning record as a head coach. Compare that to Sean Payton who had a winning record in his very first season as head coach of the Saints. Who would you rather have as the head coach of the Texans?

The fact is, what Kubiak does has NEVER worked. He's just been lucky enough to have a weak-ass schedule most seasons because the Texans were coming in last in their division the year before. Now that they have to play division winners all the time, they are getting exposed. Add to that the fact that Schaub is over thirty and has never really proven himself and you have a team that is about to go over the cliff. True story.
Problem is, we're one Cushing turnover from being 1-3. You can always point to one play or one mistake that could turn a game around. And yes, Kubes has had some success the last two seasons, but have you looked at the guy's career record as a head coach? By my calculations he's 61-55. In 7 1/4 seasons. It took him until last season to get a winning record as a head coach. Compare that to Sean Payton who had a winning record in his very first season as head coach of the Saints. Who would you rather have as the head coach of the Texans?

The fact is, what Kubiak does has NEVER worked. He's just been lucky enough to have a weak-ass schedule most seasons because the Texans were coming in last in their division the year before. Now that they have to play division winners all the time, they are getting exposed. Add to that the fact that Schaub is over thirty and has never really proven himself and you have a team that is about to go over the cliff. True story. Originally Posted by 69Mustang
I did. This was in my 3rd post on this page:

But these last three paragraphs is not what I wanted to get into, I'm not here to say Kubs is one of the better coaches in the league, I'm not here to defend the majority of the moves he has made. I'd take Sean Payton or Belichick over him, who wouldn't? I'm here to simply defend him from yesterday's game, that's it. I'm making the case as to why the choke job was more on the players than on him or the other coaches, who you seem to be putting more of the blame on. Originally Posted by TheDon