NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

I've got faith and confidence in Leinart. But I think we will have to watch at least a couple of games before giving any input on the guy. He will have time to prepare though, that's for sure.

It's just a shame that Schaub, Dre, and Foster only got to play for one quarter this year, and that Tate, Foster, Schaub and Dre didn't play at all together.

Just life in the NFL, I guess.

TJ Yates is the third string QB. Some chatter that he's better than Leinert. Originally Posted by gnadfly
Chatter started by fry cooks from McDonald's.
BT, come on man, you're too up and down bro....you're scaring me. We're fine playa. Leinart is a tough, left handed Heisman winning QB. Sure, he fucks a lot of freaks in hot tubs but he's good enough to get us to the promise land. We have a great offensive line and a great running game. Remember, hand the ball off and throw check-down passes. Say that over and over a thousand times.... Originally Posted by Satin
I do not believe it is quite as simple as "hand the ball off and throw check down passes." It sounds good but at the end of the day it is much more than that. I believe it is just as much about being able to read the defenses and knowing when, where and how to deliver the ball. Those are the intangibles that Schaub seems to be very good at. Those type of intangibles will not show up in the weekly stat sheets. There is no way to know if Leinart will be as good. More often than not, Schaub is able to deliver the ball in the right place and at the right time. To think that Leinart will be able to step in and perform at Schaub's level is a far reach at this point in time. At least it is for me!

I have lowered my expectations since Monday morning. I thought at that time that a 12-4 regular season record and a possible Super Bowl appearance was reachable. I no longer feel that way. I hope Leinart will be very successful but I believe the best we can hope for would be 1 or 2 wins in the playoffs. I have said previously and I will say again. I hope we will begin the 2012 football season with a legitimate quarterback controversy. If that ends up being the case, Leinart will have done as well as we could have possibly hoped for.
  • Satin
  • 11-16-2011, 07:57 AM
BT, of course I realize that, but that's the basic formula or game plan approach he needs to take. I'm not sure I'm completely sold on Dopey's decision making all the time either, but you're right, we don't know what we have with Leinart until he gets in there.....

On a more positive note, you gotta be excited about ESPN gameday coming to Cougarland right? That should be exciting. It's ironic with all the ridiculous records Case sets, all they talk about is Luck. Yeah, I understand why, but it's still kinda annoying sometimes....
The Coogs deserve Gameday, but SMU? Com'n Man!!! SMU is 6-4, Com'n Man!!

Keenum deserves the Heisman before Luck, Weeden also.

Matt Leinert has not earned his nickname yet and i hope he doesn't. Satin have you seen Matty in the Strip Clubs? If not that is a good sign for footballin! Late.
Question for the Gurus.

Does the injury to Schaub give Kubiak another year with the team if they don't get into the playoffs or get blown out in the first round?

Go Coogs,
Question for the Gurus.

Does the injury to Schaub give Kubiak another year with the team if they don't get into the playoffs or get blown out in the first round?

Go Googs, Originally Posted by O'Mike
I think so. How many quarters have we played, in the regular season, with Schaub, Foster, Andre, Daniels in the same huddle? Maybe one quarter in ten games.

Kubiak can point to this factor and that we very highly successful on offense without the complete offensive players.

Kubiak can point to the fact that his defensive problems are behind him, even with Mario and Manning out.

I know this may not be a popular comment, because there are still a lot of anti Schaub and anti Kubiak feelings on several forums, but Kubaik and Smith have put together a real fine team. We lose Manning, plug in another player, we lose Mario, plug in another player, we lose Foster, plug in another player. Texan management has actually done a great job putting this team together. Kubiak and his staff are doing a very good job playing with the injuries they've had to play with.

No, unless we have some sort of Indy Colt meltdown, I don't think Kubiaks job is in jeopardy.
  • Satin
  • 11-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Good question but nah, Kubes is fine. I've never had any issues with him. I know the record and all the problems but he is NOT the problem with the Texans. If you think about the fluke ways Texans lost, there's no way you can blame him...but I know I'm in the minority on that. Now, would I prefer Bill Cowher? You damn straight I would. But he's not available so Kubes is fine.

@Daddio, lmao man, no I havent seen him lately and I hope I don't. He's way more mature now at 28. I feel good about Leinart....
I do not believe it is quite as simple as "hand the ball off and throw check down passes." It sounds good but at the end of the day it is much more than that. I believe it is just as much about being able to read the defenses and knowing when, where and how to deliver the ball. Those are the intangibles that Schaub seems to be very good at. Those type of intangibles will not show up in the weekly stat sheets. There is no way to know if Leinart will be as good. More often than not, Schaub is able to deliver the ball in the right place and at the right time. To think that Leinart will be able to step in and perform at Schaub's level is a far reach at this point in time. At least it is for me! Originally Posted by bigtex
I'll say this, most of what Mark Sanchez has done in the last two post seasons is hand the ball of and make check down passes, and he's gotten to the AFC tittle game twice doing so. Our defense might not be as good as those Jets team, but our running game is. It might be boring and underwhelming, but I say we stay conservative, for the most part.
Kubes and Smith have done a real nice job assembling the roster.

If we make the playoffs, Kubes is good for at least another year. McNair would probably even extend him further if he not already locked in to several more years. If we don't make the playoffs all of us will be in total melt down mode and no telling what would happen.

Satin, Cowher has been my first choice all along too. I have grown to like Gruden even more also as I dig his QB training stuff on ESPN, you can tell he can get his point accross real well to young guys he puts on the spot.

Satin, If you see Matty, get him taken care of quickly and hustle him back to Reliant to study and practice.
I'll say this, most of what Mark Sanchez has done in the last two post seasons is hand the ball of and make check down passes, and he's gotten to the AFC tittle game twice doing so. Originally Posted by Don91
I think he did a bit more than hand off in this game. Check it out at about the 2:30 mark. The 50 yard pass completion with about 20 seconds left almost put me in my grave. I know the pass defense was terrible, but he still had to make the plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOdOs...eature=related
I think he did a bit more than hand off in this game. Check it out at about the 2:30 mark. The 50 yard pass completion with about 20 seconds left almost put me in my grave. I know the pass defense was terrible, but he still had to make the plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOdOs...eature=related Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN
I think Sanchez can play, no doubt, he can throw down the field if he wanted to. But that game wasn't in the post season. In the playoffs the last two years, they have been really conservative on offense, and it's worked out great for them. Just a blueprint the Texans can go off in my opinion.
I hope Leinart will be very successful but I believe the best we can hope for would be 1 or 2 wins in the playoffs. Originally Posted by bigtex
If we get 2 wins in the playoffs we will be in the Super Bowl. I'll take that.

You really need to read what team mates are saying about Leinart. Eric Winston was a lot of good things to say about the effort Matt has put into learning the system and being ready. No one feels there is going to be any drop off at all. Eric also point out that teams are already putting 8 in the box, how's that working out?

Let me point out that of the 6 remaining games in 4 of them the QB is a rookie. If our defense can't totally stuff a rookie we should not be in the playoffs. The Bengals just lost their best receiver and defensive player. Cam is throwing for lots of yards but their defense couldn't stop an old lady in a wheel chair. I say we go 5-1 or 60, take home field all the way through.
If we get 2 wins in the playoffs we will be in the Super Bowl. I'll take that.

You really need to read what team mates are saying about Leinart. Eric Winston was a lot of good things to say about the effort Matt has put into learning the system and being ready. No one feels there is going to be any drop off at all. Eric also point out that teams are already putting 8 in the box, how's that working out?

Let me point out that of the 6 remaining games in 4 of them the QB is a rookie. If our defense can't totally stuff a rookie we should not be in the playoffs. The Bengals just lost their best receiver and defensive player. Cam is throwing for lots of yards but their defense couldn't stop an old lady in a wheel chair. I say we go 5-1 or 60, take home field all the way through. Originally Posted by BigLouie
I hope you're right, my friend!

If so, I will gladly buy the first couple of rounds!!!!!
Chatter started by fry cooks from McDonald's. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Nope, the chatter I saw was attributed to Kubiak and the Texans staff. Now it may be coach speak but not a fry cook speak.