Get your Nerd on! (And I'll form... the head!)

Larry Niven is one of my favorite authors...and THIS is the type of stuff they used to sit around Cons and talk about...scifi has changed...

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~avondale/e...manAndSex.html Originally Posted by Wakeuр
I've read pretty much everything Niven has ever written. Man of Steel - Woman of Kleenex was something we analyzed to death in high school.

He and Heinlein are my two all-time favorites. Robert Sawyer is a favorite among the newer guys.
Buffy was brilliant. Hot bad-ass chick, surrounded by other hot chicks who were bad assed to various degrees. Works for me. I liked Firefly a lot, and would love to have a session with Inara. (I get the feeling that she's actually TheCFE's great-great-great-great granddaughter.) Originally Posted by blowpop
As it so happens, I see a LOT of parallels between myself and Inara - it's one of the reasons I use the term "companion" as often as I do in my advertising. Who can say who got the idea from whom....? I'm, of course, not suggesting that Joss and I had hot sweaty monkey sex - but if we did, is it any wonder so many of his shows have had pro themes?
That's it.

I DEMAND an Inara cosplay from you! Dibs on Zoe.
That's it.

I DEMAND an Inara cosplay from you! Dibs on Zoe. Originally Posted by Glynette
I wish I could call dibs on Wash, but I think I'm more Badger than anything else.
As it so happens, I see a LOT of parallels between myself and Inara - it's one of the reasons I use the term "companion" as often as I do in my advertising. Who can say who got the idea from whom....? I'm, of course, not suggesting that Joss and I had hot sweaty monkey sex - but if we did, is it any wonder so many of his shows have had pro themes? Originally Posted by theCFE
That's it.

I DEMAND an Inara cosplay from you! Dibs on Zoe. Originally Posted by Glynette
Hmmm... so, who do you suggest as Kaylee, piao liang de xiao jie??? that triple trouble could make for one AMAZING and EPIC belated birthday celebration for this Bēiwéi de púrén.
^ it's true
Kingdom Come is one of my faves... That last jpg has me coming down with a case of the apocalyptic sads. Originally Posted by theCFE
Welcome to the New 52!

I actually read KC before I really got into comics. The impact of Captain Marvel turning evil only really hit me later on when I really started reading and read a bunch of JSA stuff.

Why? I thought the ending was awesome! Originally Posted by sexxytexxan
I think she was referring to the second .jpg DG posted, not the ending of KC.

As it so happens, I see a LOT of parallels between myself and Inara - it's one of the reasons I use the term "companion" as often as I do in my advertising. Who can say who got the idea from whom....? I'm, of course, not suggesting that Joss and I had hot sweaty monkey sex - but if we did, is it any wonder so many of his shows have had pro themes? Originally Posted by theCFE
Uh huh - so you're the one to blame for Tara, Wash, and Coleson's deaths?!?!?
I think she was referring to the second .jpg DG posted, not the ending of KC. Originally Posted by jbravo_123
Oh. Yeah. That makes way more sense
Oh. Yeah. That makes way more sense Originally Posted by sexxytexxan
Don't read The Kingdom though... that -will- make you sad (because it's so terrible).
Oh my, and me a Firefly addict who lusts after Inara. I promise I'll treat you better than Mal does Inara when we are together. Perhaps you could knit me a Jane hat? And talk dirty to me in Chinese?
I've read pretty much everything Niven has ever written. Man of Steel - Woman of Kleenex was something we analyzed to death in high school.

He and Heinlein are my two all-time favorites. Robert Sawyer is a favorite among the newer guys. Originally Posted by blowpop
Blowpop, my brother!!!

Man of Steel - Women of Kleenex is probably my second favorite sci-fi short story after Harlan Ellison's Repent, Harlequin, Said the Ticktockman. Hard to beat the image of the Harlequin dumping tons of jelly beans on the slidewalks of a regimented society, throwing everything off.

Loved Niven's Ringworld, despite the almost unpronounceable names. TANJ!!!

Adored Heinlein for the longest time, but struggle with the likely unconscious sexism in his books nowadays. Stranger in a Strange Land and the Lazarus Long books were my faves.

And once I discovered Robert Sawyer a couple of years ago, I quickly devoured everything he has written--very imaginative dude!!! I especially liked the it when the alien shuttlecraft lands by the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, the alien emerges and says "Take me to a paleontologist."
Oh my, and me a Firefly addict who lusts after Inara. I promise I'll treat you better than Mal does Inara when we are together. Perhaps you could knit me a Jane hat? And talk dirty to me in Chinese? Originally Posted by spice-is-nice
I have a Jayne hat! I bought it, though.... Not that it gets any damn use 'round here!!

Also, what's wrong with the way Mal treats Inara??
OMG y'all are major league Nerds! BTW the photos posted are not the original D&D manuals
Here's a good one:

Who would win in a fight? Saruman or Magneto?

Bonus points if you know why this match came up in the first place.