A music thread for a break, post away

Willi Sir,
I like her outfit
BUT
I only made to 1:22 in the song. ugh that voice yuck
also< if was a hooker RUN Originally Posted by offshoredrilling
Most of the band members played with Frank Zappa. It's an acquired taste for sure. Her voice isn't quite as obnoxious on other tracks. I couldn't stand this song in the 80's when it first came out, but it grew on me over the years. Maybe it's the singers outfit. 😂 Terry Bozio is a monster percussionist. Originally Posted by Willie Wanker
Wow! That's a damn interesting pick.

Soooo...yeah, that is actually Terry Bozio's wife, Dale. She did some time with Zappa too, mostly on Joe's Garage, where she was "the charming Mary from Kenosha Park"....

She could be hot AF. Sometimes she appeared on stage dressed only in Saran Wrap.

Bozio wasn't just a "monster" percussionist. He was/still is a Master. I've seen him twice with Jeff Beck, once with Frank's son Dweezil. He played with his own band in ROC about 4 years ago and I fuckin missed it. Bummer.

Wow! That's a damn interesting pick.

Soooo...yeah, that is actually Terry Bozio's wife, Dale. She did some time with Zappa too, mostly on Joe's Garage, where she was "the charming Mary from Kenosha Park"....

She could be hot AF. Sometimes she appeared on stage dressed only in Saran Wrap.

Bozio wasn't just a "monster" percussionist. He was/still is a Master. I've seen him twice with Jeff Beck, once with Frank's son Dweezil. He played with his own band in ROC about 4 years ago and I fuckin missed it. Bummer.

. Originally Posted by rooster
I think Terry was also in the band UK after Carl Palmer left. He's a well rounded player, technical like Neil Peart, but hits hard like Cozy Powell and John Bonham.
I think Terry was also in the band UK after Carl Palmer left. He's a well rounded player, technical like Neil Peart, but hits hard like Cozy Powell and John Bonham. Originally Posted by Willie Wanker
That's interesting about UK. I did not know that. I saw them with Palmer, and they were pretty fuggin great.

Those are interesting comparisons in his style also. But he is every bit as much his own man as any of those others are, too. But dude...no one...NO ONE...touches Neil Peart. Sorry. Go back and listen to "A Farewell to Kings" if it's been awhile. You will agree.

As far as newer guys, I saw Marco Minneman with Joe Satriani a couple of years ago and he is quite amazing. Supposedly, he was on the short list to replace Mike Portnoy in Dream Theater. I have not seen Portnoy yet, regrettably. Hopefully sometime soon...cuz he ain't zackly a "newer" guy when it comes down to it.

Lastly, I saw a guy....have no idea what his name is.....with Jimmy Thackery at Abilene a couple of years ago that was mind-boggling. Loud AF, though. When he hit his snare, it sounded like a rifle shot. I have no idea how Jimmy can hear a damn thing any more....

(Oh...and it was "the charming Mary from Canoga Park"...before another Zappa fan jumps my shit)

That's interesting about UK. I did not know that. I saw them with Palmer, and they were pretty fuggin great.

Those are interesting comparisons in his style also. But he is every bit as much his own man as any of those others are, too. But dude...no one...NO ONE...touches Neil Peart. Sorry. Go back and listen to "A Farewell to Kings" if it's been awhile. You will agree.

As far as newer guys, I saw Marco Minneman with Joe Satriani a couple of years ago and he is quite amazing. Supposedly, he was on the short list to replace Mike Portnoy in Dream Theater. I have not seen Portnoy yet, regrettably. Hopefully sometime soon...cuz he ain't zackly a "newer" guy when it comes down to it.

Lastly, I saw a guy....have no idea what his name is.....with Jimmy Thackery at Abilene a couple of years ago that was mind-boggling. Loud AF, though. When he hit his snare, it sounded like a rifle shot. I have no idea how Jimmy can hear a damn thing any more....

(Oh...and it was "the charming Mary from Canoga Park"...before another Zappa fan jumps my shit)

I'm kind of a Rush freak.. AFTK is an amazing album. Caress of Steel is my favorite. I stayed up almost all night learning all of side 2 on guitar. Very underrated album and their most experimental imo.
I'm not saying Bozio is Peart, but he's a technical player like Neil. But he also has a hard hitting rock style that I hear in guys like Cozy Powell. I have a hard time saying any talented musician is better or worse than another because music is so subjective. I can appreciate the simple riffs of Neil Young, as well as neo-classical riffs of early Yngwie Malmsteen. I gotta throw in Ritchie Blackmore to round it out. 😂
BTW: I'm also a Dream Theater fan. Mike Mangini is great, but I like Portnoy's loose style better in Dream Theater. DT can be kind of sterile and Portnoy helped to loosen up their sound, imo.
I think Terry was also in the band UK after Carl Palmer left. He's a well rounded player, technical like Neil Peart, but hits hard like Cozy Powell and John Bonham. Originally Posted by Willie Wanker

Carl Palmer is the only member of ELP left. Lake died of cancer and Emerson committed suicide. i saw ELP in 1977. the first part of the show kinda sucked because they were playing material i wasn't particularly fond of, then after the break they came out smokin'. much better.

here they are tuning up for a show in Philly .. also 1977.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2zurZig4L8

this one is for you Z ...

wynona's big brown beaver aka the invasion of the plastic cowboy men from outer space ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg

BAHHAAAAAAA
Great choices.! Fanfare for the Common Man was the first ELP song that I ever heard. It's the one that got me started on 70's progressive Rock. Tull, Yes, ELP, Gabriel era Genesis, Edgar Winter, and even some deeper less known stuff like Spock's Beard and Triumvirat. The level of musicianship is off the charts.

I'm not big on 90's rock, but I do like some of it. Primus, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden are a few that I like from that era.
Wynona's Big Brown Beaver is a good one. It's like Johnny Cash meets Outlaw Country on "Electric Koolaid" {The Eccie censor's prohibit me from being explicit} 😉
"Injun Joe" by Good Rats

I wanna see this house burn
I wanna see it tumblin’ down
I’m gonna watch the white burn from her eyes
Well, I’m gonna light the fuse, oh yeah
I’m through payin’ my dues, I refuse to kick off my shoes
Hey Injun Joe, whatya know
Went to the city to organize
I’m gonna take their black robes
I’m gonna wipe my waste on them
Your honor, my ass, it’s my honor that’s on the line
Well, this time I’ll stand and fight, oh yeah
Like the suckers they are, I’ll run them into the sea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4b_X32Jpc
seeing the Good Rats Live at a bar was always fun
but ahem

dr dirty john valby was more fruitful
....Fanfare for the Common Man was the first ELP song that I ever heard..... Originally Posted by Willie Wanker
That is a fucking incredible interpretation of that piece. I'm sure you boyz know (I'd hope, anyway) that it is a "cover" of a modern classical piece by Aaron Copeland. And it is magnificent.

Kid....THANKS fer postin that vid of it. I have never seen it and it is excellent!

There is only one problem with the album version: the recording and vinyl pressing of it suck ass. The sound quality is dreadful. That piece absolutely begs to be played at painful sound pressure levels. But ya almost can't bear to do it, it sounds so bad.

But I have not listened to it for many years. Maybe there is a re-mastered version of it out there now that does it justice??

There was this bad period in the mid to late 70's where some record companies were releasing a lot of stuff that sounded lousy. Rush was the victim of that, certainly. Vinyl versions of AFTK and "All the World's a Stage" were really shitty. No headroom, tons of noise. And the vinyl was made out of recycled shoe heels, I think, cuz half the time it would already be warped when ya first took it out of the jacket. And it was NOT the technology! They were just being cheap, careless fucks. Albums like "Waiting for Columbus" and "Aja" sounded awesome.

A lot of that poor quality stuff got cleaned up when CD's and other digital formats took over. Ryko bought out Zappa's stuff from Warner Bros. and put out some fantastic re-releases on CD. Maybe someone re-mastered "Fanfare" too. Gotta do some research.....

"Injun Joe" by Good Rats....

Originally Posted by Willie Wanker
seeing the Good Rats Live at a bar was always fun....
Originally Posted by offshoredrilling
I was never a huge Rats fan, though I had a friend that was such a die-hard friend that his wife fucking hired them to play at his birthday party once. He became such good friends with Peppi that he even spoke a bit a Peppi's funeral.

I do really like that tune though! And man...Peppi had a voice that could rival anyone in our time. I know he had a relationship with Dee Snyder, and it was ironic that Dee got much more recognition than Peppi did, yet he didn't deserve to carry Peppi's nutsack, IMHO.

OSD, I saw that last show they did in the Brew House. I think it was like Peppi's 60th birthday or sumthin, maybe....it was pretty cool. They weren't in their prime. But they weren't fukkin bad. You were probably right next door at the fuggin Mirage with Ben and Alphonse and ya didn't even know this was goin on....

...I have a hard time saying any talented musician is better or worse than another because music is so subjective... Originally Posted by Willie Wanker
I hear ya. I play a bit, but not well enough that anyone would wanna pay me. And I pretty much feel like I am not qualified to say that any one musician that is in the league of folks we are talking about is better than another.

Other than Joan Jett, of course. She is the real GOAT....

(mutherfukker.....how is that talentless hag in the RnR HOF while artists like ELP, Soundgarden and Link Wray are not? Eat me)

I hear ya. I play a bit, but not well enough that anyone would wanna pay me. And I pretty much feel like I am not qualified to say that any one musician that is in the league of folks we are talking about is better than another.

Other than Joan Jett, of course. She is the real GOAT....

(mutherfukker.....how is that talentless hag in the RnR HOF while artists like ELP, Soundgarden and Link Wray are not? Eat me)

Joan Jet is in the RRHOF?
What a joke. I'm not a fan of that organization. Most of the voters iare music critics, and music critics are as swipes that think they're too cool for the room.
If you think Joan Jet is bad, Notorious BIG is also in, and that's not even Rock.
donald trump covers "wrap me in plastic"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KowcRZzAoO8

BAHHAAAA
"Something For Nothing"
by: Rush

Waiting for the winds of change
To sweep the clouds away
Waiting for the rainbow's end
To cast its gold your way
Countless ways
You pass the days
Waiting for someone to call