NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

CBS is reporting that the Texans just drafted Johnny Football.
Whatever
If this occurs, I hope he does not suffer the curse of other past coaches who worked under Belechik, and the feeling was they would come to the NFL with all of that Patriots mystique and gobble up loads of wins: Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis made that move and both were dismal failures as head coaches in the NFL and Weis also bombed in the collegiate game! There is this myth that if you were weaned in the Pat's system, you are a shoo-in to be an instant success heading up your own team!! Originally Posted by Solemate62
For the reasons I stated in 2013 (lol) I still think this is a bad move after a bad year. Yet, I understand the Lions are looking at Tom Cable, one of the MANY crappy coaches the Raiders have hired to occupy the sidelines in the recent past. Cable is the one who did his Tony Soprano imitation by slugging it out with a Raiders' assistant coach a few years back!
I was not able to watch last night's A&M/Duke slugfest until this morning. It was a knock down drag out but Johnny Football was certainly up to the task. There seems to be no shortage of candidates for the Texans to consider should they decide to use their first pick on a QB.

I am looking forward to watching Blake Bortles in this evenings Fiesta Bowl. I have only seen a few clips of him thus far.
ESPN just reported that Bill O'Brien has reached agreement to become the Houston Texans new Head Coach. Originally Posted by bigtex
As I predicted a month ago, they also have the first pick which I also predicted. It's like having 2 first round picks. I don't see any of the QBs coming out as sure fire things. No Andrew Luck, Cam Newton or Elway. The Texans can get one later in the draft.
This is a draft deep in QBs. I fully expect Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, the Vikings, Tampa Bay and Oakland to take QBs that means 6 QBs in the first 10 picks! The Rams pick second, expect them to take Clowney with the second pick and then get the OT they need with the 12th pick. That trade with Washington last year is looking really sweet for the Rams right now.

The worst thing that could happen to the Texans is that Jacksonville takes Johnny Football and he is everything in the pros he was in college. That could easily put the Texans third in the division for a good 10 years.
As I predicted a month ago, they also have the first pick which I also predicted. Originally Posted by bambino
As you predicted? That's like predicting the sun is going to come up in the East. Not really hard so don't go thumping your chest. And the Texans will take a QB with the first pick. That is like etched in stone.
This is a draft deep in QBs. I fully expect Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, the Vikings, Tampa Bay and Oakland to take QBs that means 6 QBs in the first 10 picks! The Rams pick second, expect them to take Clowney with the second pick and then get the OT they need with the 12th pick. That trade with Washington last year is looking really sweet for the Rams right now.

The worst thing that could happen to the Texans is that Jacksonville takes Johnny Football and he is everything in the pros he was in college. That could easily put the Texans third in the division for a good 10 years. Originally Posted by BigLouie
I agree but the other side of the coin is that if they take Bridgewater and he lives up to his expectations then it could be us who have that great QB. (Or perhaps , three, maybe four high quality QB's in the same division. )

I would prefer Manzell because of the wow factor but it is all a crap shoot as to which QB's can make the transition. Rarely do you have a sure thing.

For Don and others: I don't watch nor care about college football but why are there so many damn bowl games? Yes, I would assume money, but damn, it's ridiculous. Originally Posted by Satin
If you don't like em then don't watch em. Personally I LOVE College FB, better than the pros. And I LOVE the bowl games, all of em.. What I do is record them on DVR then I slowly watch them later in the year during those long months of no football.

I would prefer Manzell because of the wow factor but it is all a crap shoot as to which QB's can make the transition. Rarely do you have a sure thing. Originally Posted by spear88
If there were such a thing as a "sure thing" in the NFL, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Russel Wilson would have all been taken with the first or second pick in the NFL draft. Instead, all four were taken much later.

And don't forget about the highly rated QB's who turned into busts. Just ask the experts who were salivating over David Carr and Ryan Leaf. They were both highly rated draft prospects who failed to live up to expectations. There are plenty more where those two came from!

Don't look now but drafting a successful NFL QB is little more than an inexact science!
As you predicted? That's like predicting the sun is going to come up in the East. Not really hard so don't go thumping your chest. And the Texans will take a QB with the first pick. That is like etched in stone. Originally Posted by BigLouie
I predicted OBrien before he was mentioned as a candidate. I also predicted the Texans would have the first pick weeks before they earned it. Not pumping my chest, just busting BTexs balls. I'll predict this, Bridgewater will be the second coming of Gino Smith.

For Don and others: I don't watch nor care about college football but why are there so many damn bowl games? Yes, I would assume money, but damn, it's ridiculous. What do you boys think about Tebow getting a job as an college football analyst? Good move for him? Is he black-balled from the league kinda like VY and Jamarcus Russell seem to be?

How good are Bridgewater and Clowney? From what I'm hearing there are issues with both of them...

What are your thoughts about the Pro Bowl being a draft type game with Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice picking their teams? I can't stand the Pro bowl but this might be interesting.

Finally who's gonna play in New York in February? I think the Seahawks and the Broncos, with the Broncs taking it all. Peyton is the best QB I've ever seen and I don't see them losing.

Happy New Year boys....:nysmilie4 1: Originally Posted by Satin
I just now got to watch the Aggies/Duke game, great fucking game. I've been sick all morning and last night, but I've still went out to battle and fight because it was new years, Kubs would have been proud....

As far as all the bowl games, yup, it's money, but also, not every city has an NFL team to cling on to, so this is the last chance a lot of fans of football get to have to root for their teams, so you have to respect that. Hell, I while I was in school and watched NFL football (5th grade-to senior year in high school, 2003-2010), Texans were shit from the beginning and just mediocre late, never even worth watching at times. I didn't root for any other NFL teams, so I watched a lot of college and rode a lot of college football bandwagons, and it was great!

As far as Brien as the coach, I love it. Thought Lovie would have been a good choice, but Brien is the best option in my opinion. I don't think he's gonna be like Josh Mcdandils, Mangini, or any other failed Pats assistant in the passed. That guy went right into a situation involving a team close to getting the death penalty due to old guys Fucking kids, and not only did he manage to keep the program alive, they actually thrived and achieved success! That's fucking bananas when you consider how much top players transferred to other schools, he could not have done better with the talent he had around him.

And we're not gonna get that "It's on me" bullshit with this guy, evidence by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu9TKEKia9s

In order to succeed you must have the right coach, and he must have his QB. Coach and QB, or QB and coach, doesn't matter what order you have it, you just have to get it right. You can have the best Fucking defensive player on the planet and you can still lose 14 straight games, that shit doesn't matter in terms of winning..... There are some guys from college who have come in and shit the bed, but you also have guys who have come in and found their QB's and have done amazing.

Harbough and Kaep
Carroll and Willson
Chip Kelly and Foles

And I think Brien is better than all of those guys...

But the problem is, despite having him and the number one pick. I don't see this being a Chiefs/Colts situation going from worst to first, (although if our division still sucks it could happen). But the reality of the situation is that our players are just not that good, all this talk about talent we have is bullshit, we have terrible depth, we miss on our draft picks, and our free agents signings aren't always the best.

Now a great coach and QB can overcome a lot of things, and maybe if we played in a tougher division it might be a greater challenge, but long term, I can see this working out pretty good.

This guy Brien can be a leader, Lance Zierlien just tweeted that one guy on the team right now just said to him that leadership has been a problem on this team since Eric Winston and Demeco Ryans left the team in 2011. 2011!!!

There are just so many holes to fill on this team, I don't know if they can turn it around in just one year, but who knows.

As far as Johnny, he was good last night, but didn't do anything we haven't seen him do all year, same with Bridgewater, but damn the Aggies have a sorry run defense, reminds me of the Colts in the Manning days, just built to stop the pass, when they get down, teams just run down their throats...

I'm not too high on Bridgewater, dude played against average D's all year, I'd go with Manziel over him, not just cause I think he's a cool and exciting guy, I think the guy is the best QB prospect. I understand his size issues, but if he can do what Russell WIlson does to protect himself, he will be good.

I'm not always right about QB's. I didn't think RG3 would be a great QB, (despite his bad season this year I still think he's legit). I thought Luck would be a "can't miss" guy. That dude as average as Fuck this season, nothing special. I liked Cam a lot in college, a lot of guys wanted him benched after the Panthers started off 1-4 or whatever, but he seems decent now. I always thought Wlson could be special, and I never really had any faith in Case.

But yeah, this shit versus Teddy vs Manziel will be like in 2006 with Bush vs VY. Still too early to decide who should go number one. Not saying I don't like Teddy, hell I wouldn't mind if we got him. Whoever Brien wants, that's all that will matter, he's got the keys to this ride, lets see what he does with it.
I predicted OBrien before he was mentioned as a candidate. I also predicted the Texans would have the first pick weeks before they earned it. Not pumping my chest, just busting BTexs balls. I'll predict this, Bridgewater will be the second coming of Gino Smith. Originally Posted by bambino
What's up Bambino? I called the Texans losing out on November 4th (after the first Colts loss). Proof is here:

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...post1054671354

If you called them losing out before I did, I'd like to see the post. Not for bragging purposes or anything, I could give a fuck about that, just like to see if you were really ahead of this before anyone else was...

Also, you I kind of agree with you on Bridgewater being the next Geno, but I think he will be a little better, I also think Geno had a pretty decent year, he didn't have a Blaine Gabbert type of season this year, also looked much better than Mark Sanchez imo. He's still just a rookie. I thought he did pretty well considering he doesn't have much to work with on offense.
What's up Bambino? I called the Texans losing out on November 4th (after the first Colts loss). Proof is here:

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...post1054671354

If you called them losing out before I did, I'd like to see the post. Not for bragging purposes or anything, I could give a fuck about that, just like to see if you were really ahead of this before anyone else was...

Also, you I kind of agree with you on Bridgewater being the next Geno, but I think he will be a little better, I also think Geno had a pretty decent year, he didn't have a Blaine Gabbert type of season this year, also looked much better than Mark Sanchez imo. He's still just a rookie. I thought he did pretty well considering he doesn't have much to work with on offense. Originally Posted by TheDon
I saw Bridgewater play against Smith in Morgantown. LVille won 38/35. Teddy outplayed Geno that day. They are pretty much the same player, teddy may be a little more accurate. Geno went in the second round. I think Bridgewater is a reach with the 1st overall pick. All the draft gurus are predicting it. Time will tell. I bet you had no clue about OBrien tho. Here's one for you, Schiano will be PSU's next coach.