NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

I listen to sportstalk 790, O'brien was basically Lance Zierlien's first prediction for being to being the head coach in early December. And most of the respective journalists are saying either Schiano or Munchak (if he doesn't get fired) will be the next guy at PSU. I'd like you to continue posting in this thread though, especially if you have sources. I love getting the "scoops"

Had no idea Geno played Teddy in college, sounded like a fun game. I never really trusted Geno coming out of college, that was too much of a system offense he ran in Morgantown, I think. At least Bridgwater plays more of a pro style.
I think Bridgewater is a reach with the 1st overall pick. All the draft gurus are predicting it. Time will tell. I bet you had no clue about OBrien tho. Here's one for you, Schiano will be PSU's next coach. Originally Posted by bambino
As mentioned Lance on 790 here in Houston was saying it for a while. As for as Schiano, that's been reported on by a number of web pages such as SI, ESPN and CBS Sports for a number of days now. You're just predicted something with high probablity.

As for the QBs the draft gurus are predicting where they will go, NOT how successful they will be. Right now Teddy is grading out the highest so odds are he will first. Like it or not that's the reality.

As for Gino, everyone thought that was a terrible reach for the Jets in the first place. Not a surprise he has struggled. On David Carr, coming out of college the book on him was that he held onto the ball too long which would result in a lot of sacks in the pros and made bad decisions. The book pretty much came true.
I listen to sportstalk 790, O'brien was basically Lance Zierlien's first prediction for being to being the head coach in early December. And most of the respective journalists are saying either Schiano or Munchak (if he doesn't get fired) will be the next guy at PSU. I'd like you to continue posting in this thread though, especially if you have sources. I love getting the "scoops"

Had no idea Geno played Teddy in college, sounded like a fun game. I never really trusted Geno coming out of college, that was too much of a system offense he ran in Morgantown, I think. At least Bridgwater plays more of a pro style. Originally Posted by TheDon
Geno had better recievers too, Tavon Austin and Baily. Austin would take a bubble screen 70yrds. I'm watching this Bortels kid. Bridgewater may not be the best QB in his conference. This kid looks like a pro.
As mentioned Lance on 790 here in Houston was saying it for a while. As for as Schiano, that's been reported on by a number of web pages such as SI, ESPN and CBS Sports for a number of days now. You're just predicted something with high probablity.

As for the QBs the draft gurus are predicting where they will go, NOT how successful they will be. Right now Teddy is grading out the highest so odds are he will first. Like it or not that's the reality.

As for Gino, everyone thought that was a terrible reach for the Jets in the first place. Not a surprise he has struggled. On David Carr, coming out of college the book on him was that he held onto the ball too long which would result in a lot of sacks in the pros and made bad decisions. The book pretty much came true. Originally Posted by BigLouie
The draft Gurus had Smith as the first QB taken, somewhere in the middle of the 1st rd., some had him going to Arizona at 7. Buffalo took the FSU QB ahead of him which was a huge reach. Second round was not a huge reach for Smirh. He has few weapons and had a decent year. Penn State was Schianos dream job and was speculated as Paternos successor along with Kurt Ferrins.
I saw earlier on ESPN that O'Brien(sp) likes "BIG" QB's like Tom Brady & the kid at Penn State now.

So chances are if they take one early, Bridgewater isn't "BIG" enough for him
I saw earlier on ESPN that O'Brien(sp) likes "BIG" QB's like Tom Brady & the kid at Penn State now.

So chances are if they take one early, Bridgewater isn't "BIG" enough for him Originally Posted by DickEmDown
Oleary is one of OBriens mentors. I'm sure he will talk to Oleary if Bortel comes out. This kids a better athlete than Hackenberg.

So chances are if they take one early, Bridgewater isn't "BIG" enough for him Originally Posted by DickEmDown
Bortles was picked over Bridgewater for AAC " Offensive Player of the Year "
by the Coaches in the AAC league plus Bortles has beaten Penn State so OBrien has had a good look at Bortles and had good things to say about him.
Bortles is 6'3" 230 lbs and Bridgewater is 6'3" 196 lbs.
Both have a good arm I give Bridgewater the better arm but barely but I give Bortles the better Size and mobility.
I think the Texans will be way better at the QB position in the long run with both of either one of these young men .
Bortles is Ballin' right about now...he's giving Baylor fits with his arm AND his legs.

Granted, Baylor hasn't been known much for their D this year LOL
Bortles is closer to 6'5".
Now let's talk running backs in second round since Ben Tate won't be back and Arian Foster is not the same Arian Foster especially after having back surgery .
Andre Williams
KaDeem Carey

Teddy will probably be "big enough" below the belt, I'd put money on that.
Now let's talk running backs in second round since Ben Tate won't be back and Arian Foster is not the same Arian Foster especially after having back surgery .
Andre Williams
KaDeem Carey Originally Posted by carkido45
Only fools now draft RB's in the early rounds, they're almost never worth it. that position is disposable as hell
That one interception that Bortles threw was a classic Schaub throw. Here is the scouting report on him.

He is methodical in his set up and delivery of the ball, and didn't place the ball well in this contest, forcing his receivers to make tough grabs rather than hitting them in stride. Several of Bortles passes were close to being completions but instead fell just out of the reach of his intended targets. It was a hot and cold performance similar to several of Bortles' other games this season, including against South Carolina, Louisville and Penn State.

If he were to bypass his senior season at UCF, Bortles' skill-set is exciting enough to earn a first round selection. Considering the number of QB-needy teams selecting in the top 10, he could earn a pick that high.

Bortles remains a considerable work in progress, however, and didn't show the improvement as a passer in the Fiesta Bowl to build upon the positive momentum he'd had entering the game. According to Phil Savage, executive director of the Senior Bowl, Bortles received a second-round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee.
Yeah, some of his throws were off, but he finished 20/31, 301yrds, 93 rushing yards. They scored 52 and won against a heavy favorite. He's 6'5", 230. Can't teach size. He also came back from 20pts to beat Bridgewater and was picked by the coaches over Bridgewater as the outstanding player in the conference. Bridgewater had some shaky games too this season. Bridgewater may be more polished now, Bortles has a higher ceiling.
Yes you can't teach size but Matt Schaub has the perfect QB size and Drew Brees is same as Manzeil but who would you rather have Brees or Schaub?
That dude from ucf will be a bust teddy an Johnny are way better