NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

For example, the Rams did not work out a deal for the draft rights to RG III in early January. Instead, they waited until just prior to the draft and then weighed all offers before finalizing the deal with the Skins! The same held true a few years ago with the Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers deal between the Chargers and the Giants. Originally Posted by bigtex
See anyone in the draft with the talent level of RG3 or Eli Manning? I didn't think so.
See anyone in the draft with the talent level of RG3 or Eli Manning? I didn't think so. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Lol, guess you are not referring to the 'talent' that both QBs displayed This Season!
See anyone in the draft with the talent level of RG3 or Eli Manning? Originally Posted by BigLouie
Had you asked the same question in January during the years that Tom Brady, Drew Brees and/or Aaron Rodgers came out you probably would have said "I didn't think so" at that time, as well.

My point is simply that we have no way of knowing who will emerge or just how good they will become. I said previously that grading draft prospects, especially at the quarterback position, is an inexact science, at best.

Fuel for further thought: Just because Big Louie may not believe (in early January) that there is a legitimate #1 it certainly does not mean that all 32 NFL GM's will agree with your assessment on Draft Day 2014.

Let's give it some time and see what develops! If nothing else, I have plenty of patience!
I agree, Eli and RG3 sucked this year and both regressed tremendously. I would bet the skins would seriously consider trading RG3for the #1 pick and roll with Cousins. I am not sure I want RG3, jury is definitely still out on him now that he is slower than he used to be.
Lol, guess you are not referring to the 'talent' that both QBs displayed This Season! Originally Posted by Solemate62
It doesn't matter what they did this season or next, what matters was the perception before they were drafted. Right now NO ONE has the buzz that makes GMs want to move up.
I agree, BL, was just having a little fun! Trying to forget that KC choke debacle of last night!
Right now NO ONE has the buzz that makes GMs want to move up. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Then again, there MAY be an individual who creates enough buzz that will make at least one GM want to move up by the time the Texans go on the clock.

If not, the Texans will certainly make their decision known within 15 minutes!
Yes that is true, but the evaluation process really kicks into full gear now. Maybe somebody will blow the GM's away at the combine, I am sure a few of them will puss out and not throw like always. Clowney might blow somebody away with his measurables!!! Maybe some other guys too. I hope we get JFF and another good pick or 2, I don't want to face another season like this ever again!! Fuck Kubes and Fuck Dopey, happy Fucking new year!! LOL.
I think Manzell has the possibility to be one of the all time greats. He has the natural ability not seen since Archie Manning.
At this point in time, I am not willing to go out on a limb and predict that "no one seems to be willing to give up extra picks for him." As of today, none of us know (with any degree of certainty) who "him" will end up being. The chances of a trade taking place for the #1 pick of the 2014 NFL Draft in early January are somewhere between 'slim' and 'none'.

For example, the Rams did not work out a deal for the draft rights to RG III in early January. Instead, they waited until just prior to the draft and then weighed all offers before finalizing the deal with the Skins! The same held true a few years ago with the Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers deal between the Chargers and the Giants.

I personally believe the Texans will keep the pick and take Bridgewater! But that is just speculation (not a recommendation) on my part. Nothing more!

Let's see if any "pure diamonds" emerge from the Indy Combines (or through free agency) and revisit the likely trade scenarios a week or two before the May Draft. Originally Posted by bigtex
I agree, Teddy and Manziel just declared for the draft last week. Huntley said today he is staying. Bortels hasn't said yet. I suspect he will come out this year. He has nothing to gain by staying and barring a complete meltdown or injury, Winston will be the first QB taken next year. However, if Bortles comes out, I think OBrien would choose him over Teddy. Just my opinion.
However, if Bortles comes out, I think OBrien would choose him over Teddy. Just my opinion. Originally Posted by bambino
Bortles announced he is coming out but don't expect BOB to take him as Bortles has issues. He needs to grow in terms pocket awareness and route progression, his biggest current weakness is inconsistent accuracy. In UCF's bowl game, Bortles threw several passes that forced his receivers to adjust, missing out on yards after the catch, or missed them entirely. Basically he is way behind BOTH Teddy and Johnny.
Here is how I expect the draft to go

1. Texans - Bridgewater
2. Rams - CLowney
3. Jacksonville - Bortles because he is from UCF
4. Cleveland - Manziel
5. Oakland - A QB maybe but most likely Barr
This from CBS Sports:

NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks expressed serious reservations regarding Bortles' overnight coronation and questioned his long-term future.

"I see a good player with a lot of upside, but I don't see a transcendent star that will significantly change the fortunes of a dismal franchise. Now, that doesn't mean he can't be an effective starter for a team, but I believe it will take him some time to develop into a solid player as a pro," Brooks said.

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah concurred, likening Bortles to Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker, who has been erratic in his three-year career.

Bortles (6-foot-4, 230 pounds) was largely unknown coming into this season, but that all changed after leading the Knight to a 12-1 record, the American Athletic Conference championship, and a win over Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl.
we should take Blake Bortles!

Bill Obrien likes big quarterbacks so not sure he takes bridgewater