NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

I feel bad for Denver, they just had to let Orton go. They could have gotten a great bidding war for him, had they kept him, and of course, if the trade deadline were extended.
I hope I am wrong but truth is I am not feeling any positive vibes for this week. I believe the D will play well but will have their backs against the wall due to turnovers. My prediction Atlanta 27 Houston 13.
Relax fella, it's only Tuesday.
I'm late. tl;dr but am I the only who thought TJ looked better than Matt. Then the half happened. Kubiak did say he slowed it down (screwed the kid up). Hell he had more confidence than both Matts'.
What I found so far on TJ Yates

• Selected by Houston Texans in the fifth round (152nd overall) in the 2011 NFL Draft.
• Will be the first rookie to start at quarterback from the Texans since Dave Ragone in 2003.
• Threw for 9,377 yards (208.4 average per game), 58 touchdowns and 46 interceptions in his four-year career at North Carolina.
• Set 37 Tar Heel records, including single-game, single-season and career records for pass completions and yards.
• Became the only Tar Heel to throw for 3,000 yards in a season and 400 yards in three separate games.
• The most accurate passer in UNC history, completing 795-of-1,277 attempts (62.3 percent).
• Completed 282-of-422 attempts in 2010 for career highs of 3,418 yards and 19 touchdowns to go along with nine interceptions in his senior season.
Oh yeah he is a lot more mobile than Dopy I and II.. might just bring a new dimension to the naked (bootleg).

...Blackbuddy... yeah he looked good but it was a 2min drill before half time... I thought the intentional grounding call on the throw away was questionable.
kind of looked like the offense gave up in the 2nd half but after finding out the next QB was OD... I don't fault them a bit.. and the Jags are actually good at stopping the run (better than ATL),,, hell, they gotta stop MJD in practice all the time so I guess they figured that part of the game out... Oh and MJD is not a Faguar sorry bout that... I like the guy... Their fans sure are though.. What else is there to do in Jagville (pop 821,784)? hmmmm... I'm thinkin they move... anyone got any ideas where they might go?? I like San Antonio TX... Then it will be a just a 3hr drive to see away games... party on the river walk on Sat... then go see TXNS vs SA (divisional opponent) SUN... They'd still be a small market (pop 2.2 million) team... But we LOVE football here in TX! Hell, even Green Bay fills up the stands and is small market... And them poor old stubborn GB Wisconsin folks(pop 104,057) ALL turn into a popsicles for 1/2 the home games... Think they go to LA?? They might still want a Football team... OKC??....Hell IDK maybe they stay in Jacksonville.. But it just doesn't seem like that city will give a damn either way...

ATL will be TXNS 1st big test since BAL wk6
ATL needs this game more than we do....
Stats give slight edge to HOU
BOTH teams are on a roll with BIG momentum
My biased opinion says TXN win +3 (TJ beats his home team) Unbiased says its dead even and will go into 2OT in a Defensive battle to favor TXNS..

BT.... Chill out.. Ur making me nervous... hehehe.. No way ATL wins by more than 7... BTW there is an article floating around by Mike Lombardi that says were better off with Yates not Leinart... guess it wasn't just the fry cooks after-all.. AND while Schaub was busy with the rest of the team... TJ started making friends with Dre by throwing passes to him while he rehabbed..

And Satin... sorry bro, I don't like ur game plan for this one... At least not till maybe the 2nd half... TJ has to come out slinging so ATL will recognize the pass threat... Once the threat is confirmed, then let Hustle and Flow take over... ATL is not a team you lay back on... U gotta attack from all angles.. We maybe #1 in TOP but ATL is #3... To win that, I say spread the ball around and be less predictable as they are a good run stopping team and good at defending the pass... They're not great at either though.... I just hope TJ will be up to the task (reintroduce the NFL to DRE while not forcing anything)

Oh and we can loose 2 of the last 5 and still get in to playoffs. Hell, I think even 3 of the 5 as long as we beat the Titans for the Finale.. The biggest motivation is to stay on top of the AFC
  • Satin
  • 11-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Cat-Man, you have a point, but I'm not sure you understand what the gameplay is. We need to do what we do best...run the ball. I'm not saying not to pass, but throw short passes and check down passes. We don't want to get the rookie in a shootout.
Facts: Atlanta has the #2 rated defense against the run: (83.5 ypg)
They are #23 against the pass. (245 ypg)

So obviously, running the ball is tougher. However, also keep in mind their defense has 11 picks (Texans have 15). Decloud has 3 & also remember they have Danta Robinson and you know he will be DYING to have a field day against the rook.

So I say control the clock by mixing it up with short passes, bootlegs and running the ball. We're #1 in TOP so grind it out. It might be ugly, but a W is a W. We have the homefield so let's not get too aggressive with the Rook and get his ass killed. Then we'll be looking for QB #3....

Nice stats on the Rook btw....good job...
Running:
I need them to stop riding Foster's dick. Is he the lead RB. Fuck yeah I'll give you that. But when he isn't being effective you have two other talented backs with different run styles who could change things up. Ward being benched like he is really sucks cause he's just as talented. And passing when you are 2nd and Goal instead of having Tate hammer it in just befuddles me more often than not.

Passing:
I need longer passes and than what we normally get. Sure the TEs are doing a great job at convert them into extra yards but short passes to the backs is getting predictable and simply ain't cutting it.

QB:
Again, Yates to me looked like he been waiting this moment for a minute. I never thought that much of Shaub actually. I've questioned his field vision (which is crazy cause of his height) vs his target preference several times. Oakland exposed how telling where his throws are going. He also doesn't look all that confident most times. He's too bland for me. But he did get the job done.

I expect Yates to be able to perform just as well. Watching for a whole game will give us more perspective. They might not cuff him as tight as they did that second half with a vet to fill in if need be.

Outlook:
Being optimistic, I still say Super Bowl bound. I do pray Texans stop getting injured. Seriously, three players out for the entire season. Star WR out 6 games. Who does that?

I think they have the plays, they just aren't calling them correctly when the situation arrives. Wade probably looks over at the offense and just shakes his head when things aren't clicking for them. His defense is killed Jacksonville.
oooh!! more stats Thank you! that Texan fever is getting contagious! hehehe.. I just can't get enough!

Satin...
My bad,,, don't get me wrong!!... I LOVE your game plan...And we are ultimately saying the same thing.. and I DO NOT WANT TO SEE A SHOOTOUT!!! I want to PREVENT THE SHOOT OUT.... I didn't mean to kill your game plan whatsoever but rather enhance it and help make it possible... So, let me clear that up(sorry, it was beyond late and 1/2 a sleep when I made that post)

What I'm getting at is that since ATL is obviously going to be looking for the run and check downs 1st and foremost,,, AND they're pretty good at stopping them,,, We need to stretch the defense a little...Though I totally agree-- runs and checks are one of our biggest strenghts offensively.. SO IS THE PLAY ACTION PASS... As a like-minded football fanatic, I'm sure you also know, the Texans' offense revolves around being able to disguise run and pass plays by making them all look the same... So what I'm thinking is, lets start the PAP early to set up the run and check downs---instead of the usual opposite... Like u said, short-yardage plays will be tough against their D... But I'm thinking it will be easier if we keep them on their heels and shake things up a little bit... I'm afraid if we don't and become predictable, the game will fall into their favor and put A LOT OF PRESSURE ON OUR D as there will be enough already..

On that note, I think part being a QB is managing and controlling the game... We need to dictate what their D does and not let their D dictate what our offense does.. If they completely shut down our short-yardage game, they will then FORCE US TO GO DEEP. Hence, shoot-out...

That's why I'm thinking we need to be a little unpredictable and attack their weekness right out of the gate... But by all means DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING!--TJ has got to trust our D and go 3-n-out if need be...Also, my man Foster has proven himself to be a force to be reckoned with and will demand a lot of attention,,, so there might be other options open... If TJ has learned the playbook as well as the others are saying he has,,, who knows what the real game plan will be...

That's pretty much it... I didn't mean to start an argument, I'm just tryin to look at the BIG picture and think of ways that will stretch the defense to help us DO WHAT WE DO...hehehe
...And for those that don't know ATL's Matty ICE is developing into one of those very dangerous QB's that you don't want on the field no matter how good your Defense is....He is one of those guys (though not an elite, YET) that can lead his team down the field in a 2min drill and turn your guts inside out... -be warned.

Also similar to the Texans, they have a lot of weapons(pro bowlers) on offense (M.Turner@RB,T Gonzales@TE, R.White@WR) Our Offense is still better overall, but they got a better QB.

And Overall I think Defense and FIELD POSITION will play a huge part in this game for both teams as I predict a LOW SCORING GAME.... TEXANS for the W +3
This game is HUGE but not the biggest of the year...and this time I'll be there!! (thanks to ticket exchange for the tickets over face value... hehehe) but I'll will record it as well...

Thanks again for more stats Satin!! (they are like little Christmas gifts to me) hehehe....
Facts: Atlanta has the #2 rated defense against the run: (83.5 ypg)
They are #23 against the pass. (245 ypg)
Just to keep 'em goin here are a few more...

Falcons rank in REDZONE DEFENSE(TD only): 3rd (37.50%)
Texans rank in REDZONE DEFENSE: (TD Only): 13th (50.00%) arrh!

Falconse rank in REDZONE Offense (TD only): 9th (56.10%)
Texans rank in REDZONE Offense (TD only): 20th (47.62%) arrrh!!!

Plus a Vandermeer interview about Yates on NFL network
.....and Sapp's Game changer: Barwin (I think Sapp skipped lunch..hehehe)

Notable games this week concerning AFC seeds:
2nd seed NE vs IND
3rd seed BAL @ CLE
4th seed OAK @ MIA
5th seed CIN @ PIT (6th seed)<---Biggest game in AFC (we go to CIN nxt wk for a BIGGER GAME than ATL)

FANS NOTE: If Texans loose against ATL,CIN and CAR and win @ IND and here vs TEN= 1ST PLAYOFF BIRTH(non WC) & SWEEP OF AFC SOUTH!!!!

______________________________ __
*note Titans are actually #1 (70.83%) in Redzone Offensive TD's (arrrrrh)
  • Satin
  • 12-01-2011, 01:18 AM
Cat-Man, dude I can't argue with anything you said bro...sounds good and makes good football sense to me. I'm just glad to be getting the fuck out of Chi-Town tomorrow cause I'm freezing my fucking nuts off....

Now if we can only get my man BT excited about the showdown Saturday and Texans game Sunday.....

Stats? Bro, you take stats to a whole other level...:-)

It's gotta happen soon....a strip club meeting of the minds with me, Don, BT, Daddio, Kerwil & Cat-Man.....
It's gotta happen soon....a strip club meeting of the minds with me, Don, BT, Daddio, Kerwil & Cat-Man..... Originally Posted by Satin
I'm down but if on a Sun I'll need a bigscreen in the VIP/chairfortress....hehehe

....Yeah BT come on man,,, saddle up with us bro...were in it for the long haul!!!!

....Blackbuddy, I happen to like riding foster's d&^(&* no wait!! I don't mean that, I mean........ Well shit! U know what I mean!!! But yeah WTF was with Ward being benched the whole game?? I think Kubes' mind was back in the locker room... I agree, we got 3 start-worthy RB's! I just like Foster more than the others.. He became my #1 hero the day he broke 200+yrds on the Smurfs! For that, I love him forever,,,and the more I find out about him, the more I like him.... The dude is a rare breed... AND they passed on 2nd-n-Goal because they didn't have any more TO's and there was only 35sec on the clock,, if you don't get a TD on the run, U gotta spike it on 3rd to give FG unit time to get on the field... Running another play would be risky but we were up and it was only the 2ndQ So the better option was 2 pass plays, then kick a FG... The 2nd half was a wash for offense but really showed how good our Defense is... Barwin recorded 4 SACKS!!!... .

I think Yates will have to be a COMPLETE FUCK UP to loose his job... That Jacksonville game will not measure him a bit, but THIS GAME WILL.... And my guess is there will be longer passes... I'm thinking TJ will have more guts to go deep than Leinart and Kubes will allow it,,,,if not encourage it... (this makes me nervous but like I previously posted, for this game I think its a necessary evil)...
I'm with U on the SB talk... only REAL discouragement is TXN's 3 losses all came from playoff caliber teams and they are about to face 2 more...(only real ass whooping they took was from NO though)
To beat these teams and/or go deep in the playoffs, lets hope the REDZONE stats improve, I know its in your mind already as U just mentioned it....And it doesn't really show as our margin of victory has been pretty good the last 5 weeks...
But believe it... too many FG's will keep these better teams in the game... So for as a actual SB birth is concerned,,, REDZONE D and O NEEDS IMPROVEMENT
Atlanta will probably finish the season with 12 wins, but Christ, they've caught a bunch of teams at the right time, they seem flukey as hell to me, despite what the stats say, I'm not too high on that team. Defensively, I think they've got some holes, although I haven't seen them play too much this year. I think Kubs will find their flaws, which should help out Yates.

Defensively, they have some weapons on offense, but we've got Wade calling our defense, I'll give us the edge their.
I sat next to a stripper last night who told me she was getting bored watching the Texans because they ways win...I told the Kool-Aid drinking bitch to start sucking my dick...
Well last game got boring but that's cause they had to play it safe. I actually like them winning. First 5 years I use to get up for the game. I went their first exhibition with NO. I always had hopes. Last couple years though I just slept and found the results when ever I got up. This year I just had a feeling it would be worth watching.
I sat next to a stripper last night who told me she was getting bored watching the Texans because they ways win...I told the Kool-Aid drinking bitch to start sucking my dick... Originally Posted by Wakeuр
Damn Wake up,,, thats some funny ass shit there... U should put that in your Sig line....hehehe I love it!

... bout to drop a bomb on here for all you Texans fans... I know you fellers are curious and will enjoy this one...Hell, U might just want to print it, laminate it and stuff it in your wallet...Hell, that's what Ima do....
Texans 17 Falcons 14
Oh and go COOG'S!!!!!

Damn that Koolaid tastes good!