NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

McCarron is your typical great college QB that's going no where. Compare him to Manziel. Anytime he went up against NFL quality defenses he fell apart, Manziel performed well. Look how many points Manziel put up on Alabama the two times they met.
McCarron is your typical great college QB that's going no where. Compare him to Manziel. Anytime he went up against NFL quality defenses he fell apart, Manziel performed well. Look how many points Manziel put up on Alabama the two times they met. Originally Posted by BigLouie
I guess you didn't see JFF play against LSU and Mizzou? Not very good. McCarron has championships, JFF a Heisman. A&M has as much talent recently as Bama. Neither will be a star in the NFL IMHO.
I guess we'll see but people who actually play in the NFL think Johnny will be a star. The fact is there is NO buzz about McCarron, zip which should tell you something of what the NFL talent people think of him.
I guess we'll see but people who actually play in the NFL think Johnny will be a star. The fact is there is NO buzz about McCarron, zip which should tell you something of what the NFL talent people think of him. Originally Posted by BigLouie
I didn't say there was any buzz about McCarron, but some analysts did praise his workout at the combine. He's better than recent Bama QBs. JFF may not be as good as Ryan Tannehill, who is a bigger, better athlete than JFF. If anything, JFF is over hyped. Many NFL people think that as well. It will be interesting to see. My guess someone will come out of this draft that will be more productive than either Clowney or JFF.
My guess someone will come out of this draft that will be more productive than either Clowney or JFF. Originally Posted by bambino
More than likely.

Some third or fourth round QB will get matched with the right system and coach and take a sub .500 2013 team to the playoffs next year.

For the record. I said I wasn't thrilled about McCarron or Mettenberger. They both have strengths that translate to the NFL but they both have weaknesses.

Hell, I thought Danny Wuerffel was going to be the next Montana because of the intangibles. In college he had the championships, the awards, the leadership, the uncanny ability to win games...Show's how much I know.

It takes leadership, intelligence and desire. The measurable skills have to match the offense they are playing in. West coast dink and dunk requires quick reads, and quick release to timing routes. A vertical game requires someone with a strong arm that can sense pressure, make small moves to step up in the pocket and throw guys open. I just don't think a highly mobile guy who freelances at the first sign of pocket collapse translates into an elite NFL QB. Sure mobility is great but when you're 220# and DEs weighing 50 to 70# more than you can run you down you can't put yourself out there and expect to stay healthy.
I guess we'll see but people who actually play in the NFL think Johnny will be a star. The fact is there is NO buzz about McCarron, zip which should tell you something of what the NFL talent people think of him. Originally Posted by BigLouie
A star perhaps, but will he be Drew Brees or Michael Vick(talking about on field only)?
A star perhaps, but will he be Drew Brees or Michael Vick(talking about on field only)? Originally Posted by boardman
JFF is not a pure pocket passer like Brees nor can he run like Vick in his prime. Vick was like Tony Doresett that could throw. Seems like JFF is somewhere in between. Jack of all trades master of none. The guy JFF reminds me of most is Fran Tarkenton. I said it here before Mayock did at the combine. Tarkington was undersized but had an uncanny scrambling ability to make plays. He's in the HOF. That seems to be JFFs game. Just MHO.
Tarkenton played in a different era just like Archie. While they both had heart and talent I don't think they would have made it in today's NFL.
Perhaps my question wasn't presented properly. I consider Brees a successful NFL QB and probable HOFer despite the limitations. He was able to overcome them and rise above. Vick not so much. Of course his time out of the league he can never get back. He was great for a couple of years but he's no HOFer mainly cuz he couldn't stay healthy. Why? Perhaps because he was too mobile. A mobile QB has to use that mobility to his advantage not his detriment.
I'm not denying JFF's talent and it remains to be seen but will he be Drew Brees or Michael Vick in that context? That was the point of my question. If the answer is "somewhere in between" I'm not sure he is worth the top pick.

Just saw on Bleacher Report that The Texans are leaning towards Clowney. Fuck it I give up! The draft can't get here soon enough!
Tarkenton played in a different era just like Archie. While they both had heart and talent I don't think they would have made it in today's NFL.
Perhaps my question wasn't presented properly. I consider Brees a successful NFL QB and probable HOFer despite the limitations. He was able to overcome them and rise above. Vick not so much. Of course his time out of the league he can never get back. He was great for a couple of years but he's no HOFer mainly cuz he couldn't stay healthy. Why? Perhaps because he was too mobile. A mobile QB has to use that mobility to his advantage not his detriment.
I'm not denying JFF's talent and it remains to be seen but will he be Drew Brees or Michael Vick in that context? That was the point of my question. If the answer is "somewhere in between" I'm not sure he is worth the top pick.

Just saw on Bleacher Report that The Texans are leaning towards Clowney. Fuck it I give up! The draft can't get here soon enough! Originally Posted by boardman
I agree it's a different era. When Tarkenton played players were smaller and not as fast. Alan Page was 228lbs. Joe Greene was 275 and was considered a big man then. Aaron Donald is 300lbs and ran the same 40 time as JFF. Clowney is much faster. If JFF runs around he prolly won't last. I don't think he can switch gears and become a pocket passer like Brees. That's just not his game. Ron Jaworski said today he wouldn't draft JFF until the 3rd or 4th round. Gregg Cosel, a respected NFL talent evaluated said JFF is undraftable. It's all over the board on JFF. Chris Mortonsen said the Texans will draft Clowney.
Ron Jaworski is a notable dumbass.
I agree what does jaworski know
Here is something you may not know or want to acknowledge. JFF was at his best this year when he stayed in the pocket. He was a 75% passer from the pocket. During the off season he had worked hard on being a better pocket passer and he was. When he went outside of the pocket he was not as good. This notion that he is not a pocket passer is wrong.
I agree what does jaworski know Originally Posted by jstone420
He is from Philly. Had Schaub ranked 9th best QB going into last season, Ryan ranked 4, they both from Philly.

Dude is just a homer that doesn't know shit, for all the hours he spends watching tape, he don't know much. He had Geno and Ryan Nasib being the best QB's to come out of the draft last year...
He is from Philly. Had Schaub ranked 9th best QB going into last season, Ryan ranked 4, they both from Philly.

Dude is just a homer that doesn't know shit, for all the hours he spends watching tape, he don't know much. He had Geno and Ryan Nasib being the best QB's to come out of the draft last year... Originally Posted by TheDon
Don't shoot the fuckin messenger, I was just repeating what Jaws said. I would say he's more knowledgeable about QB play than anyone on this board. Opinions on JFF are split, he'll be great or a bust. Just something to bullshit about.
Here is something you may not know or want to acknowledge. JFF was at his best this year when he stayed in the pocket. He was a 75% passer from the pocket. During the off season he had worked hard on being a better pocket passer and he was. When he went outside of the pocket he was not as good. This notion that he is not a pocket passer is wrong. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Mizzou and LSU game planned to keep him in the pocket. A&M lost both games and JFF was terrible. Working with Whitfield is a good idea. Shows JFF is serious about improving his game instead of partying at the Super Bowl.