Nooks and Krannies.

. . . .The Vapors.... I remember that place.... also on the north side of town. What was the story on that place? Just a Night Club? Originally Posted by MrGiz
Was a nightclub with great entertainment from all over the country. Slot machines and gambling in the back room and always rumors of mafioso types around. During Winthrop Rockefeller's administration in the 60's, the state police ran a raid on the place and shut the gambling operation down.

From my memory of sordid Arkansas History, I don't believe all of the slot machines were accounted for. Take a trip to the top of the mountain and pay the fee to go up in the tower. Been a few years, but there used to be a pretty nice pictorial history of Hot Springs around the tower.
From my memory of sordid Arkansas History, I don't believe all of the slot machines were accounted for. Take a trip to the top of the mountain and pay the fee to go up in the tower. Been a few years, but there used to be a pretty nice pictorial history of Hot Springs around the tower. Originally Posted by arklookn4lovn
I don't think it's from the the tower (it's been so long since I've done that), but I remember reading somewhere that in the "bad old days" that one of either the Hot Springs PD or the Garland County Sheriff's Department (maybe both) was basically the "official" enforcement arm of the Mob (as opposed to the "unofficial"--or should that be "undercover" or "covert"?--enforcement arm of the Mob). So much so that ISTR that a significant percentage of the HSPD officers killed in the line of duty in the history of that department were killed in a gunfight with GCSD deputies.

Ah, someone ought to write a book and option the movie rights to that story.

Cheers,

bcg
I had a friend that worked the whole gas line replacement downtown. There are all types of tunnels. The biggest I believe is underneath the Wax Musem arcoss from the Arlington. Now that would be some entertainment. I Might just have to try to sneak a peek.
I had a friend that worked the whole gas line replacement downtown. There are all types of tunnels. The biggest I believe is underneath the Wax Musem arcoss from the Arlington. Now that would be some entertainment. I Might just have to try to sneak a peek. Originally Posted by Pamelatoo
The tunnels or the wax museum, Pam?

Speaking of the wax museum, I've been in bed with some who I believe must reside there? Where's that rimshot thing, BCG?
The tunnels or the wax museum, Pam?

Speaking of the wax museum, I've been in bed with some who I believe must reside there? Where's that rimshot thing, BCG? Originally Posted by arklookn4lovn
http://www.instantrimshot.com/

One of the most useful pages on the web, IMHO.

Cheers,

bcg
Coy's Coys's coy"s. I wish they would have rebuilt.. Originally Posted by Pamelatoo
If not recipe, very close. Could not tell difference. Do not forget warm saltines.

Coys House Dressing
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/8 tsp white pepper
2 1/4 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Accent
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cup salad dressing( Miracle Whip)
2 cup mayonaise
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2TBSP lemon juice
2 TBSP white wine vinegar
Blend all dry ingredients in blender. Add wet ingredients and blend until smoooth.
Do not forget warm saltines. Originally Posted by Mr.Chan
Also, don't forget the beer.

Thank you most honorable sir.
Thank you most honorable sir.
Originally Posted by Mac92451
What he said!

Cheers,

bcg
Pamela,

Sounds like you've done Hot Springs. Time to come do Dallas a while.

Congrats on one of the most alluring and tasteful avatars I've seen.
All this steakhouse talk works up the carnivore appetite...

What ever happened to that sleazy steakhouse in Fayetteville - Henry's or Herman's or something like that... I heard it burned but reopened?

H
Not sure what you mean by sleazy bit Herman's is still open and serves a pretty good steak IMHO. True, it's not the classiest looking place and is definitely blue jeans casual.

Not sure of any place called Henry's, but I am relatively new to NWA.

d.
I can personally vouch for Mr.Chan's culinary expertise...go forth with confidence on trying his recipie replications. :P

Remember Coy's steakhouse from many years ago was
nice place for young man to try to woo sweetheart. Cocktails along with saltines dipped in Coys House Dressing was wonderful start of a fine meal.
If venerable establishment now sleeping with ancestors, have that most illustrious recipe in cold case files. Originally Posted by Mr.Chan