Say it ain't so, this has got to be a typo.

Again, the key is "or seriously slow down". So I asked you to post the gun deaths per million per year for the US and Canada. Then we can see if they have reduced the instances or not. Quite simple. Originally Posted by Old-T
How about you post the population density in Canada as opposed to the US.
How about posting the crime centers in Canada.
How about posting the racial demographics in Canada.

The fact is that you can't directly compare the two countries because they are too different from each other.
  • WTF
  • 01-25-2016, 10:08 AM

“When looking at firearm-related homicide rates in comparable countries, Canada’s rate is about seven times lower than that of the United States (3.5 per 100,000 population), Originally Posted by WTF
JD i have posted the rate per 100k. What does race have to do with gun laws? You do realize that your op tried to compare the two countries and then when i gave you proper stats in context. ..you are now saying you can not compare. That is a bald face lie on your part.

How about you post the population density in Canada as opposed to the US.
How about posting the crime centers in Canada.
How about posting the racial demographics in Canada.

The fact is that you can't directly compare the two countries because they are too different from each other. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
  • Old-T
  • 01-25-2016, 10:22 AM
JD i have posted the rate per 100k. What does race have to do with gun laws? You do realize that your op tried to compare the two countries and then when i gave you proper stats in context. ..you are now saying you can not compare. That is a bald face lie on your part. Originally Posted by WTF
To call it lying is a little harsh. It is high speed backpedaling when caught by the facts.

He was all about a comparison in the OP when he erroneously thought it would support his position. But as soon as DATA contradicts it, well he is now vehemently opposed to his original key premise.

Sorry the data is so uncooperative JD.
I would call you a blowhard...but then you would just blow harder. Originally Posted by WTF
blowhard, eh?

and you with your 24,115 posts
  • WTF
  • 01-25-2016, 02:23 PM
blowhard, eh?

and you with your 24,115 posts Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
See, I knew you would just blow harder.
To call it lying is a little harsh. It is high speed backpedaling when caught by the facts.

He was all about a comparison in the OP when he erroneously thought it would support his position. But as soon as DATA contradicts it, well he is now vehemently opposed to his original key premise.

Sorry the data is so uncooperative JD. Originally Posted by Old-T
That's it? You get some of the little dog help from WTF and you throw in the towel? I guess I made my point. The only real comparison that holds up between Canada and the US is that Canada has the gun laws that liberals want and they still have acts of mass violence. Any other take away is window dressing and I expected better of you OT.

Check out the suicide rates of both countries and explain the difference. The fact that there is a difference indicates that neither country is like the other country.

By the way, I didn't back pedal a damn thing.
  • Old-T
  • 01-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Utter BS.

So, the only allowable comparison is the one that supports your hypothesis? Sort of supports it a little?

No, the FACT is that Canada has a significantly lower death rate from guns, and they have stricter gun laws.

Suicides are due to a lot of other factors. Not really sure what point you are making with that comment. Personally I doubt anyone commits suicide because they are distraught over gun laws either way.

The only person saying gun laws should be held up to a perfect standard of zero mass killings is you. The Canadians have tough gun laws, the Canadians have much fewer gun deaths per capita. How in the world does that say strict gun laws don't reduce gun fatalities?

PS: On this point WTF happens to agree with me. Go back into the records and you will find he and I are far from always on the same side of things. Hell, I even agreed with IB on a point not too far back.
Should it be aganist the law to purchase and own RPG's? Originally Posted by WTF
Even though it's not technically a firearm it is already illegal as well as a AK47 or any other fully automatic firearm unless you have a special permit such as a collector or curator
Utter BS.

So, the only allowable comparison is the one that supports your hypothesis? Sort of supports it a little?

No, the FACT is that Canada has a significantly lower death rate from guns, and they have stricter gun laws.

Suicides are due to a lot of other factors. Not really sure what point you are making with that comment. Personally I doubt anyone commits suicide because they are distraught over gun laws either way.

The only person saying gun laws should be held up to a perfect standard of zero mass killings is you. The Canadians have tough gun laws, the Canadians have much fewer gun deaths per capita. How in the world does that say strict gun laws don't reduce gun fatalities?

PS: On this point WTF happens to agree with me. Go back into the records and you will find he and I are far from always on the same side of things. Hell, I even agreed with IB on a point not too far back.
Originally Posted by Old-T
I hate belaboring the point but suicide is a human function. It is not partisan and I don't know who said it had anything to do with gun laws (it wasn't me). Since it is a human function then two countries with similar values, similar cultures, and similar life styles should have very similar suicide stats...unless there is a difference. That's my point! The US and Canada have very different suicide rates so there has to be an underlying difference in the two countries. For instance, we don't have a TV show that has been referred to as A Little Mosque on the Prairie like Canada. We don't have back bacon and we do have a military. That could explain the suicide rate, PTSD and all.

The left likes to jump on each and every mass shooting as some sort of proof of their ridiculous postion. I was returning the favor. Kind of like highlighting a shooting in England, Norway, or France.
  • Old-T
  • 01-25-2016, 05:13 PM
You can point out individual data points in any country you want, but every individual data point has the variability of different individuals, locations, situations. Only in some aggregate can you hope to make some sense of it in any correlation terms.

I have never said any specific mass murder "proves" that changes to gun laws would or would not make things better. But when you have aggregated data of sufficient size you CAN start to pull out trends and correlations. As a group people do not behave deterministicly, they behave statistically. And here the aggregate data screams out that there is a statistical difference between gun deaths in the US and Canada.

If you want to say it is because of the kind of bacon available, I have no data to disprove your hypothesis. But it seems far more likely that differences in gun violence are more related to differences in gun availability. Especially when on a statistical level you see similar things in other countries.

What do you think is the most likely cause? Climate? Amount of maple syrup consumed? The fact that Canadian stamps often have QEII on them?

And if you believe there is NO valid connection then why did you bring it up?
It is estimated 22 vets are committing suicide daily. A lot over 50 years old.
  • WTF
  • 01-27-2016, 08:03 AM
I hate belaboring the point but suicide is a human function. It is not partisan and I don't know who said it had anything to do with gun laws (it wasn't me). Since it is a human function then two countries with similar values, similar cultures, and similar life styles should have very similar suicide stats...unless there is a difference. That's my point! The US and Canada have very different suicide rates so there has to be an underlying difference in the two countries. . Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
You do know your lies can be fact checked? Please tell me the huge difference in suicide rates in each country. There is a huge difference on how they kill themselves as many more are by handgun here in the States.

Here, we find that on whole, both trends we observed in the earlier chart appear to hold. We also observe that both the United States and Canada sees a similar rate of suicides each year, with Canada averaging 11.5 suicides per 100,000 people and the U.S. averaging just a bit lower at 11.0 suicides per 100,000 people in the years from 2000 through 2007.
So on the whole then, the U.S. and Canada would appear to be very similar to one another where deaths caused by self-inflicted injuries are concerned. If Canada's population were identical to the United States, it would likely see the same number of suicides each year, or actually a bit more than that, given its slightly higher suicide rate.
Things change dramatically however when we consider the methods by which people in the U.S. and Canada have committed suicide in the years from 2000 through 2007.
You do know your lies can be fact checked? Please tell me the huge difference in suicide rates in each country. There is a huge difference on how they kill themselves as many more are by handgun here in the States.

Here, we find that on whole, both trends we observed in the earlier chart appear to hold. We also observe that both the United States and Canada sees a similar rate of suicides each year, with Canada averaging 11.5 suicides per 100,000 people and the U.S. averaging just a bit lower at 11.0 suicides per 100,000 people in the years from 2000 through 2007.
So on the whole then, the U.S. and Canada would appear to be very similar to one another where deaths caused by self-inflicted injuries are concerned. If Canada's population were identical to the United States, it would likely see the same number of suicides each year, or actually a bit more than that, given its slightly higher suicide rate.
Things change dramatically however when we consider the methods by which people in the U.S. and Canada have committed suicide in the years from 2000 through 2007. Originally Posted by WTF
You're a fucking genius!
  • WTF
  • 01-27-2016, 11:05 AM
You're a fucking genius! Originally Posted by bambino
I did bet on Denver two weeks in a row...
I did bet on Denver two weeks in a row... Originally Posted by WTF
then bet on noodle arm manning to beat the young gun cam and lose your money.

SuperBowl CHAMPS!