ISIS/ISIL Combat capabilities

#1 the Iraq army ran away. Originally Posted by i'va biggen

Could it be that they "ran away" from a sinister, barbaric threat and not a boy scout troop run amuck ? I doubt they would have ran if they were not being out gunned and over powered.
Then again it could be they run from a very good"JV Sqad" I mean like really great impressionist of "Kobe Bryant" after all !
The OP has a good point- what I actually don't get is how ISIS is able to make any gains- you basically have a lot of jihadist with very little military training- basically guys with Ak-47's and rocket launches going up against an Army that has Tanks, helicopters and most of all an Air-force- how ISIS is able to survive I truly don't understand.

However, I could say the same about the Taliban- every time I see video of Taliban they have Ak-47 and RPG- and they don't have 1 tank nor any type of aircraft- yet the U.S/NATO/Afghan govt can't defeat these guys in over a decade? This to me would be the equivalent of the Bloods/Crips going up against the U.S army- the outcome would be annihilation - so why is this any different? Originally Posted by wellendowed1911

They have tanks now and armored personal carriers, plus rocket launchers. Things that used to be called "targets" when the US military had competent civilian leadership.
My guess is would they are primarily Sunnis. The tribal roots run deep as they have controlled the land for hundreds of years. My other guess is ISIL is better armed.
Could it be that they "ran away" from a sinister, barbaric threat and not a boy scout troop run amuck ? I doubt they would have ran if they were not being out gunned and over powered.
Then again it could be they run from a very good"JV Sqad" I mean like really great impressionist of "Kobe Bryant" after all ! Originally Posted by rioseco
LMAO three divisions ran. I am sure they were outgunned by the first few that came into the country. Think much?????
My guess is would they are primarily Sunnis. The tribal roots run deep as they have controlled the land for hundreds of years. My other guess is ISIL is better armed. Originally Posted by gnadfly
[SIZE="3"They are now after they got all the arms ammo and other equipment left by the Army.[/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"They are now after they got all the arms ammo and other equipment left by the Army.[/SIZE] Originally Posted by i'va biggen
Covering up your double post... LOL
The OP has a good point- what I actually don't get is how ISIS is able to make any gains- you basically have a lot of jihadist with very little military training- basically guys with Ak-47's and rocket launches going up against an Army that has Tanks, helicopters and most of all an Air-force- how ISIS is able to survive I truly don't understand.

However, I could say the same about the Taliban- every time I see video of Taliban they have Ak-47 and RPG- and they don't have 1 tank nor any type of aircraft- yet the U.S/NATO/Afghan govt can't defeat these guys in over a decade? This to me would be the equivalent of the Bloods/Crips going up against the U.S army- the outcome would be annihilation - so why is this any different? Originally Posted by wellendowed1911
But the Taliban have those super grip Jesus boots that enable them to scale 45 degree inclines. The ones that stick to the rocks. That's how they get away. We haven't developed the technology yet.

The major advantage IS has is they don't give a shit about the Geneva Convention. They will shoot at and kill anything in their way. They don't follow "the rules" of warfare. The last time the US and it's allies won a war was in WWII because it was understood that civilian casualties were going to happen if the war was to be won. Ever since WWII, our politicians and the media have run our wars. The US cannot win against IS until our politicians (and the rest of the "civilized" world) understands that. Israel is often criticized for destroying civilian buildings and killing civilians when they target the Palestinian terrorists. The Palestinian terrorist intentionally lob home made rockets from schools, hospitals, etc and Israel fires back at those locations. The Israelis have the right idea.
The major advantage IS has is they don't give a shit about the Geneva Convention. They will shoot at and kill anything in their way. They don't follow "the rules" of warfare. The last time the US and it's allies won a war was in WWII because it was understood that civilian casualties were going to happen if the war was to be won. Ever since WWII, our politicians and the media have run our wars. The US cannot win against IS until our politicians (and the rest of the "civilized" world) understands that. Israel is often criticized for destroying civilian buildings and killing civilians when they target the Palestinian terrorists. The Palestinian terrorist intentionally lob home made rockets from schools, hospitals, etc and Israel fires back at those locations. The Israelis have the right idea. Originally Posted by satexasguy
ISIS succeeds because they are fanatics and generally aren't afraid to die......yet. They confront the typical Arab nation army, only willing to fight weekdays during daylight hours, within commuting distance. ISIS's crude weapons and lack or organization don't matter, just their fanaticism. History has many parallels, the Afghan Mujahedeen being the most relevant. Illiterate mountain tribesmen brought the Soviets to their knees with barbaric terrorism and WWI Enfield rifles until Moscow declared a free fire zone for attack helicopters, used poison gas, and children's toy booby traps. Ruthless barbarism usually carries the day. We fire bombed every Japanese city into ashes, perversely saving a couple for "demonstration" of our new gadget. Curtis Lemay once spotted a drill press standing above charred rubble in bomb damage assessment photograph, and promptly ordered the city bombed. He understood that breaking the will of the combatants was necessary. Can you imagine Odumbo managing a war? He who never served, not even the Cub Scouts. Sadly, his ignorance is pervasive as evidenced by recent Washington managed wars. Better to decisively defeat an enemy, then forgive most atrocities and rebuild a society, precisely what we did with Germany and Japan. We have lost that wisdom. We should be debating the level of asymmetric response, i.e. do we use tactical nuclear weapons as a demonstration/military/terror response. The deserts of Syria and Iraq present the ideal setting. Madness, you say? The French considered it at Dien Ben Phu. Would they like a do-over? We shouldn't let ISIS think that this kind of Great Satan response is off the table.
Could it be that no one in the area wants to fight them? They welcome the caliphate?
Covering up your double post... LOL Originally Posted by IIFFOFRDB
LMAO two different people dim bulb.