Security Matters! Your hobby phone is not enough.

The curious thing I see in LL's statement is that he basically wants you to do nothing so it would be easy for LE to get to your data... he is in favor of this it would appear.

Now why would someone in this hobby want to make things easier for cops to get at our data?
It seems that your basic advice is one should basically do nothing...'cause they can get you!...no matter what!

While I certainly can appreciate that you might be a little skeptical of that story...I'm definitely skeptical that your "do nothing 'cause they will get you anyways" strategy is anything like a good idea.

-T Originally Posted by txswing99
There is a distinction between "doing nothing," which I never recommended or even suggested, and commenting that to load your friggin memory up with hobby related (allegedly encrypted) information on the spurious premise that it cannot be read by LE .... which is fool-hearted at the best.

If one wants to suggest (or imply) that I have an ulterior motive .... it would seem that misleading providers and hobbyists alike that their hobby related data is "safe" from LE because it cannot be encrypted could be equally questioned ... when the ONLY retort is ..... LE won't spend the time and resources to do it!

I will be perfectly clear ... the Titanic sank because it was "unsinkable."

And Spirit .. don't start your slimy, small minded, ignorant innuendoes, again, because, as has been posted on this board before, there are plenty of folks around that know otherwise....and I think you have been warned before! As has been your MO when you exhaust your limited intelligence you start the smear campaign in a feeble attempt to discredit.
I got a follow up on the Fricosu case out of Colorado that the OP mentioned. Turns out she did not have to decrypt her computer. The cops ended up getting in without her help because the ex-husband gave them the password. http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...656?source=rss
What needs to even be on a hard drive? Just keep the info in Google Docs or some sort of password-protected cloud storage.
I got a follow up on the Fricosu case out of Colorado that the OP mentioned. Turns out she did not have to decrypt her computer. The cops ended up getting in without her help because the ex-husband gave them the password. http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...656?source=rss Originally Posted by Karl Hungus
I am no lawyer but wouldn't the EX husband giving the pass code to his ex wife's computer be a violation of spousal privilege?
What needs to even be on a hard drive? Just keep the info in Google Docs or some sort of password-protected cloud storage. Originally Posted by Allen Woody
As another computer nerd by trade, this is a risky idea. Cloud storage, by it's very nature, is not secure. Issue them a subpoena, they squeal. Plain and simple. They also are human and screw up. And they're a much bigger target than a single, individual person.

Now, if the file you upload to cloud storage is password protected, then you're covered at that level. However, even the fact that there is a file is knowledge and information that can be used against you.

Without getting into the tech details of how to do so, I believe that if you want things done right, do it yourself.

What's spousal privilege? You have the right not to incriminate yourself or your legal spouse. You also have the right to be silent when getting arrested. You don't have to exercise either of those rights.
Great info for a newbie!