Suspended Coffee

No disrespect to the kind providers, but if 25% of your income was from executives who make enough to afford you by putting people out of work, cheating on their taxes, stealing (like the 911 disability fraud), or denying health care claims, would you still accept those clients? Very few have a pure enough source of income to point fingers. Originally Posted by JohnnyCap
i screen my men..however i dont go that deep into their lives to find those things out..thats just a lil too intense for my screening process...
I'm afraid we might be opening a can of worms if we try to sort out whether a particular charitable endeavor is supported by "clean" or "dirty" money (with the exception of clear-cut examples such as the likes of Bernard Madoff). It is not difficult to come up with a reason not to accept money from the Carnegie Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation, or even the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation!
I'm afraid we might be opening a can of worms if we try to sort out whether a particular charitable endeavor is supported by "clean" or "dirty" money (with the exception of clear-cut examples such as the likes of Bernard Madoff). It is not difficult to come up with a reason not to accept money from the Carnegie Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation, or even the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation! Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Absolutely. NFL or PGA Tour charities are another good example.

I certainly don't imagine anyone doing that kind of screening AJ. At this time, I think anyone who did would seriously harm their earning potential. Cripple it. But when someone gets, for example, on a 'made in America' kick, I wonder how far they're willing to delve into the can of worms. That's a different topic, just an example.
Morality lesson in a place where theres lamentation over closing of oriental massage parlors where trafficked girls had passports taken made to service men and collect money in exchange for food and locked room to sleep in. Hey no big deal just getting a quick rub and hj maybe just maybe an innocent bj and once in a blue moon fs. Hell was giving those gals lots of great o's in return cause thats what studs do. a little victimless fun.
It was Reagans fault he made all the homeless cause he didnt care like slick Wiilie or buddy Obama those guys are all about love and equality. of course its tax dollars supporting social programs and positive every dollar of the cash quote business unquote you love is being reported come april right wouldnt want to deny the leftist cause. Unless its someone elses money the attitude is fuck taxes and screw legality lets call a cup of coffee key to justifying the rest because feel good is the only thing that matters slap a bandaid on the mofo while the titanic goes straight down
plastic man youre a pos.

were talking about helping out the poor or the homeless, show some compassion you pos!!!!
Yes PM. You bastard. Don't you know that what the poor really need is a $4.25 latte and a 7 dollar breakfast sandwich. For the cost of feeding a a child in a third world country for a month, you can feed the street person until they get to the overpass to pander at 10 a.m. Problem solved.
ha ha look at task no compassion and lumping in all the poor people as pandering.

Go back to reading a book Task, youre out of touch here.

lets move on now
pos
Well, at least she is compassionate. Who knows what should be done? You can't just lock them up unless they commit a crime and drunkenness is not a crime as per the Supreme Court.
Yes PM. You bastard. Don't you know that what the poor really need is a $4.25 latte and a 7 dollar breakfast sandwich. For the cost of feeding a a child in a third world country for a month, you can feed the street person until they get to the overpass to pander at 10 a.m. Problem solved. Originally Posted by Taskmaster
Dont get too real man it offends the sensibilities of the high and mighty. besides caffeine is awesome in freezing weather.
plastic man youre a pos.

were talking about helping out the poor or the homeless, show some compassion you pos!!!! Originally Posted by bjwstw
aw calling people on the board a pos is sweet. Thank u!
  • Doove
  • 01-11-2014, 06:00 AM
Yes PM. You bastard. Don't you know that what the poor really need is a $4.25 latte and a 7 dollar breakfast sandwich. For the cost of feeding a a child in a third world country for a month, you can feed the street person until they get to the overpass to pander at 10 a.m. Problem solved. Originally Posted by Taskmaster
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who think the poor should be helped, and those who figure out ways to rationalize not helping them.

I'll gladly put myself in the former.
I like tea. I don't drink coffee.
I'm not a fan of the "suspended coffee" idea for a number of reasons, many of which have already been stated here. It's a sad fact that businesses will loose customers if the homeless start patronizing their business for "suspended anything" and therefore less likely to participate. That is sad but a fact non the less. It's also a waste of $ that could be used in a much more efficient way to help those in need. Add the fact that this does nothing to help these soles with other needs such as shelter, counseling, etc, etc, . . .
I worked in what is arguably the poorest section of Buffalo for 10 yrs. and I got to know every street in my territory. I wasn't stuck in one office or plant. I was out on the streets and I witnessed the homeless and needy in their element on a daily basis. Not a day went by that I wasn't asked for a handout. Common sense along with the fact that I never carried cash prevented me from giving any handouts. The fact is they were more apt to spend any cash at East Side Liquors rather than the McDonalds directly across the street from the liquor store. During this time I also had the opportunity to learn about the Buffalo Food Bank Of W.N.Y. on Holt St. and The Buffalo City Mission on E. Tupper. I donate to both because my $ goes further, is used for what it was intended for (not booze & drugs) and also helps in areas other than just food.
The Buffalo City Mission can give someone a complete hot meal for $1.98. Compare that to $3.15 for a lrg. coffee and a muffin at Timmy Ho's. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to do the math.
https://www.buffalocitymission.org/d..._campaign=paid

The Food Bank of W.N.Y. distributes to food pantries in numerous communities in Western New York.
http://www.foodbankwny.org/

I'm not familiar with Rochester or Syracuse but I would think there is something similar in each city. The way I see it, if I can afford to spend $$ to "hobby", I can certainly afford to help the less fortunate. Especially when you can donate right from the computer you're probably using to read this thread and comment.
  • Doove
  • 01-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Good post, rke. But i'll nit-pick anyways.

The fact is they were more apt to spend any cash at East Side Liquors rather than the McDonalds directly across the street from the liquor store. Originally Posted by rke324
All the more reason to suggest that this is actually a good idea. If someone hit me up on the street asking for a handout, and i offered to help him out so long as he allowed me to take him to the McDonalds across the street and pay for him to have a meal, are you suggesting that would be a bad idea?

Your advice regarding donating to more formal charities is solid, but you can do both. And frankly, the convenience of it, for better or worse, will only serve to motivate people to be more giving. Much like it is with Wegman's asking me if i want to round up to the nearest dollar and donate the excess to whatever charity they have in mind. Though i'll add, it sounds like some in here would simply tell the cashier in that instance to just go f themselves.
All the more reason to suggest that this is actually a good idea. If someone hit me up on the street asking for a handout, and i offered to help him out so long as he allowed me to take him to the McDonalds across the street and pay for him to have a meal, are you suggesting that would be a bad idea? Originally Posted by Doove
Not a "BAD" idea per say, just far from the best way to spend your charitable $. The $6.00 you'd spend on a meal @ McDonalds (assuming you weren't buying a Happy Meal) would go a lot further being donated to the City Mission which would amount to 3 hot meals there along with other services as well. Plus you may be poisoning the poor soul giving em McDonalds food.
There's a lot of pros and cons to the "suspended" idea but I'm afraid the cons outweigh the pros.

Your advice regarding donating to more formal charities is solid, but you can do both. And frankly, the convenience of it, for better or worse, will only serve to motivate people to be more giving. Much like it is with Wegman's asking me if i want to round up to the nearest dollar and donate the excess to whatever charity they have in mind. Though i'll add, it sounds like some in here would simply tell the cashier in that instance to just go f themselves. Originally Posted by Doove
It may be a "convenient" way to donate (the suspended method) but the big difference in your comparison is that Wegman's stores do not have the homeless and less fortunate walking in collecting on the charitable contributions. As has already been said in a previous comment in this thread, any business that allows the poor to come in and claim suspended anything WILL loose regular paying customers because of it. Sad as that is, that's the way a lot of people are these days.