where do you draw the line with hotels

Dayuse.com is pretty cool imo and I’ve had success with it
Use Hotwire (same company as Hotels.com) and look for something 3* or higher. If it's 4*, it's even better and you won't have to spend anywhere near $150.
I just avoid rooms with $150+ rates and incidentals. Ones where there isn't free parking for "guests" or where they have to walk by the front desk to get to my room and back to their car. I'm an avid review reader lol. I always Google a place before I book and read the most recent reviews to get a feel of what to expect. If a guy is just hell bent on me staying at some Westin $230 type of hotel, he can book a room and I'll meet him there. Like you said, not wasting my money for a session that only profits me $20. NEVER do I use Priceline, alwàys hotels.com or direct book. Priceline express deals always seem to come with extra fees upon booking and you can never tell if the place is even worth staying in until after they've already charged your card.
Do any hotels along Central Expressway a bit north and south of Bush offer a check in earlier than afternoon?
Yes, the quality of the hotel matters, as does parking, and access. Last low rent hotel, I ended up with hair on my leather jacket, which was actually hung up. Also, my vehicle kind of sticks out in the parking lot of cheap hotels. I am willing to pay a higher price, but expect a decent incall.