Friends in this hobby world we partake in.

Awh thanks Max but so true and I know ya do the same! I have a few friends on here that are few and far between and I think its best kept that way.

I have heard that a friend is someone that when you pass away they delete your phone and computer for you asap!

I have several people I believe are friends. I have one bestie. I consider Budman33 one. (Sorry I haven't made lunch the last couple times but I will be back in Atown for this one)

I define friends as someone that I can call for lunch or a drink. We can hang out and laugh. Know eachother well. Trust our friendship to be something respected. If I'm down or lonely I can call them and we will meet up somewhere and forget all the worries.

My bestie is Roxanne. I tust her with my life and my sons too. I can call her from out of town and ask her to take my son to the dentist and without any issue she did. I would inturn do the same for her. When I was sick she was there with soup. Vice versa. That's a bestie IMO. Originally Posted by Maxeen Monroe
I've got a couple of Austin hobby buds I get together with several times a year, as well as a couple of SA folks who I rarely see these days. I consider them all friends.
I agree with that...I think things should be kept friendly and cordial but not overly familiar...when a lady starts calling the men who pay for her TEMPORARY company real life friends then boundaries can get blurred and someone on one side of the arrangement or the other is bound to get taken advantage of(sometimes the girl gets suckered into giving away time and sometimes the guy ends up spending an awful lot more money than he originally intended to help his "friend"). Things then tend to get messy, feelings get hurt and depending on the level of maturity of those involved serious drama can occur...professionals take care to avoid that kind of complication while giving as genuine an intimate encounter as can occur under whatever the circumstances are. Originally Posted by Hannah Heresy
Excellent points Hannah. Many potential pitfalls.

I assume that a provider will approach our relationship in a similar way I do with my students, and the way it sounds like you do with your clients, friendly but not friends.
(I just realized that sentence can be interpreted way creepier than I intend it. Or perhaps way kinkier than I intended it. )

I bonded with one provider when we discovered we were both fans of the same obscure author. Through discussing his books we learned we had similar backgrounds and attitudes. We had that click that happens when you meet a like-minded soul. We shared some information about our families and our lives. But we retained the boundary from overly detailed personal information. I became a regular client partly because she was a great provider and partly because the conversation was great. Eventually we scheduled some of our appointments near meal times so we could share a meal at the local diner then head back to her place. If she was short on any supplies or provisions, I would pick some up on the way over. I wore hats. There wasn't a good place to put my hat at her place. So I bought her a cool old hat rack I found at a garage sale so I'd have a place for my hat. I was happy to provide these minor, incidental expenses and at no time did she imply any financial obligations.

We had that level of maturity that you referred to. I would call us friends, but we were careful to maintain boundaries.
We kept the free time she chose to spend talking to me and the time I paid for her company from interfering with each other. We were not socially friends outside of our visits, we did not have expectations of the other. We enjoyed what the other could provide us, when they were available to provide it (not exclusively using the common us of the word "provide" here), and respected each other's role and position in the relationship. An uncommon situation, but possible with the right two people.