They're coming (and they said it would never happen)

Sir, you are flat-out wrong on this one.

From the Wikipedia article on the assault weapons ban: "The 10-year ban was passed by Congress on September 13, 1994, and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton the same day."

At that time, the Democrats held both houses of Congress. Newt Gingrich and the Republicans recaptured them in the 1994 midterm elections, almost two months later. The Republicans were not seated until early 1995. Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Was Reagan a Republican? Seems as though he played a big part in getting the legislation through Congress:

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/o...rady-bill.html

Reagan's Op Ed:
Why I'm for the Brady Bill

By Ronald Reagan; Ronald Reagan, in announcing support for the Brady bill yesterday, reminded his audience he is a member of the National Rifle Association
Published: March 29, 1991

"Anniversary" is a word we usually associate with happy events that we like to remember: birthdays, weddings, the first job. March 30, however, marks an anniversary I would just as soon forget, but cannot.

It was on that day 10 years ago that a deranged young man standing among reporters and photographers shot a policeman, a Secret Service agent, my press secretary and me on a Washington sidewalk.

I was lucky. The bullet that hit me bounced off a rib and lodged in my lung, an inch from my heart. It was a very close call. Twice they could not find my pulse. But the bullet's missing my heart, the skill of the doctors and nurses at George Washington University Hospital and the steadfast support of my wife, Nancy, saved my life.

Jim Brady, my press secretary, who was standing next to me, wasn't as lucky. A bullet entered the left side of his forehead, near his eye, and passed through the right side of his brain before it exited. The skills of the George Washington University medical team, plus his amazing determination and the grit and spirit of his wife, Sarah, pulled Jim through. His recovery has been remarkable, but he still lives with physical pain every day and must spend much of his time in a wheelchair.

And:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/ron...t-weapons-ban/

More substantially, though, Reagan apparently persuaded at least two Republican Members of Congress to change their vote:
Congressman Scott Klug, a Republican from Wisconsin was an opponent of the assault weapon ban and the day before the vote stated his opposition to the ban. Klug only changed his voted after “a last minute plea from President Reagan” in the form of a handwritten note.
”Dear Scott: As a longtime gun owner and supporter of the right to bear arms, I, too, have carefully thought about this issue. I am convinced that the limitations imposed in this bill are absolutely necessary,” Reagan wrote Klug. “I know there is heavy pressure on you to go the other way, but I strongly urge you to join me in supporting this bill. It must be passed. Sincerely, Ronald Reagan.”

”I can think of no one who has been a stronger supporter of law and order and a stronger supporter of the Second Amendment,” Klug said in a statement regarding Reagan’s note announcing his support for the ban.
Another former Congressman, New Hampshire Democrat Dick Swett, also credited the former President with influencing his voting. Swett was unsure of how to vote on the ban, but made up his made after direct lobbying from Reagan.
The bill ended up passing the House by two votes, 216-214.

This wasn’t the first time that Reagan had come out against the Republican position on gun rights. In 1991, he authored a New York Times Op-Ed (see above)
to date, the ONLY politician to (EVER) pass legislation that bans guns was a REPUBLICAN

wonder if anyone considers that FACT .. Originally Posted by CJ7
ONLY? EVER? Since 1776? Show me.
I think the only thing that will pass will be the database improvements, the limitation on magazine capacity and perhaps the background checks being required on private transfers. I don't believe there will be a ban on assault rifles. There certainly won't be a handgun ban. And the idea that Americans are going to submit to registering existing weapons and submitting to photographs and fingerprinting is absurd. Never. Gonna. Happen. Originally Posted by timpage
You may be right, but I think its just a pipe dream. It will go nowhere with Congress.

Can you imagine the mess that will be created with background checks in private sales? Would the seller have to run that on someone and would he have to decide if the buyer was worthy? Or request the check from the government and let them give a thumbs up or down? Hell the government can't even get E-Verify right.
Damn we will all be criminals when all gun sales go under cover. If that works we can also request a back ground check for drugs. That worked great didn't it.
Stevie, stevie, stevie... The Brady Bill brought us the instant background check. The Assault Weapon Ban was another bill. Ronald Reagan was supporting the Brady Bill three years (check the date) before the AWB was passed. No assault weapon was used the day that Reagan and Brady were shot. It was a .22 caliber revolver. When the AWB was signed the house, the senate, and the White House were controlled by democrats. You know the party that tried to disarm black people with weapon bans in the 1860s, 1870s, and 1880s. It makes it too hard for the white democrat racist to lynch an innocent black person if they have guns.
snoick
  • CJ7
  • 12-29-2012, 09:50 AM
ONLY? EVER? Since 1776? Show me. Originally Posted by Chica Chaser

as Gov of Mass, Romney was the only INDIVIDUAL POLITICIAN to ever pass a ban on guns ..

if he wasnt, show me.
Lets see New York has a ban on guns, Chicago has a ban on guns, Washington DC has a ban on guns, Connecticutt has a ban on guns, San Fransisco has a ban on guns, etc. Boy, that Mitt Romney really gets around.
  • CJ7
  • 12-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Lets see New York has a ban on guns, Chicago has a ban on guns, Washington DC has a ban on guns, Connecticutt has a ban on guns, San Fransisco has a ban on guns, etc. Boy, that Mitt Romney really gets around. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn

good, then posting the Governors name and date the gun ban/s were passed shouldnt be any problem, eh Einstein ?

I'll wait.
  • CJ7
  • 12-29-2012, 11:00 AM
I'll make it easy for you Einstein, errrr Paddy Cake Boi ...

the legislation passed by congress in 1994 had a sunset clause that expired in 2004, Romney is the only Governor or politician to pass a PERMANENT BAN on assault weapons after the 94 legislation expired ..

has anyone told you youre an idiot today, you idiot?
When you say ANY politician, are you only including state and federal government, and excluding any local city/county politicians? Mayors/city councils, etc.
  • CJ7
  • 12-29-2012, 11:35 AM
When you say ANY politician, are you only including state and federal government, and excluding any local city/county politicians? Mayors/city councils, etc. Originally Posted by Chica Chaser

Romney signed a Permanent Ban law ... to bypass hair splitting, rather than any, lets just say only Governor to date ..
CBJ7, what guns did Romney ban in Massachusetts?
  • CJ7
  • 12-29-2012, 11:47 AM
CBJ7, what guns did Romney ban in Massachusetts? Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy

Pellet Guns
Romney signed a Permanent Ban law ... to bypass hair splitting, rather than any, lets just say only Governor to date .. Originally Posted by CJ7
Hair splitting? LOL, its a huge difference. But OK then, lets keep it accurate, so its not ANY politician.

Romney permanently extended the then-current federal assault weapons ban for Massachusetts July 1, 2004. I don't have a problem with that in Mass or any other state. The left should be thrilled and praising Romney for that decision.

“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts,” Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony with legislators, sportsmen’s groups and gun safety advocates. “These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.”

Like the federal assault weapons ban, the state ban, put in place in 1998, was scheduled to expire in September. The new law ensures these deadly weapons, including AK-47s, UZIs and Mac-10 rifles, are permanently prohibited in Massachusetts no matter what happens on the federal level.
ROMNEY SIGNS OFF ON PERMANENT ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN
ROMNEY SIGNS OFF ON PERMANENT ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN
Legislation also makes improvements to gun licensing system

In a move that will help keep the streets and neighborhoods of Massachusetts safe, Governor Mitt Romney today signed into law a permanent assault weapons ban that forever makes it harder for criminals to get their hands on these dangerous guns.

“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts,” Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony with legislators, sportsmen’s groups and gun safety advocates. “These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.”

Like the federal assault weapons ban, the state ban, put in place in 1998, was scheduled to expire in September. The new law ensures these deadly weapons, including AK-47s, UZIs and Mac-10 rifles, are permanently prohibited in Massachusetts no matter what happens on the federal level.

“We are pleased to mark an important victory in the fight against crime,” said Lieutenant Governor Kerry Healey. “The most important job of state government is ensuring public safety. Governor Romney and I are determined to do whatever it takes to stop the flood of dangerous weapons into our cities and towns and to make Massachusetts safer for law-abiding citizens.”

The new law also makes a number of improvements to the current gun licensing system, including:
Extending the term of a firearm identification card and a license to carry firearms from four years to six years;
Granting a 90-day grace period for holders of firearm identification cards and licenses to carry who have applied for renewal; and
Creating a seven-member Firearm License Review Board to review firearm license applications that have been denied.
“This is truly a great day for Massachusetts’ sportsmen and women,” said Senator Stephen M. Brewer. “These reforms correct some serious mistakes that were made during the gun debate in 1998, when many of our state’s gun owners were stripped of their long-standing rights to own firearms. I applaud Senate President Travaglini for allowing the Senate to undertake this necessary legislation.”

“I want to congratulate everyone that has worked so hard on this issue,” said Representative George Peterson. “Because of their dedication, we are here today to sign into law this consensus piece of legislation. This change will go a long way toward fixing the flaws created by the 1998 law. Another key piece to this legislation addresses those citizens who have applied for renewals. If the government does not process their renewal in a timely fashion, those citizens won't be put at risk because of the 90 day grace period that is being adopted today.”

“Never before has there been such bi-partisan cooperation in the passage of gun safety legislation of this magnitude in this nation,” said John Rosenthal, co-founder and chair of Stop Handgun Violence. “I applaud the leadership of the Governor, Senate President, House Speaker and entire Legislature for passage of this assault weapons ban renewal. They have shown that Massachusetts can continue to lead the nation in protecting the public and law enforcement from military style assault weapons.”