Which Birthday Was the Most Difficult to Take?

I think watching my kid hitting 16 and then 21 bothered me more than any of mine ever have. I didn't even really think about mine. But his..... it sucks watching them grow up and not need you anymore, but at the same time it feels good knowing that they will be ok without you. Oh the bitter sweet... Originally Posted by threepeckeredbillygoat

Amen! When my youngest daughter came to the house to let me know she was expecting her first child (my 3rd grandchild) that time hit me like a ton of bricks. My little girl...always the one I worried about the most..was going to be a Mom. Damn...still gives me goosebumps.
I'm 53 and haven't slept with a girl in 2 years that didn't call me "daddy" during sex. I guess it's a turn-on for them but it always makes me think "WTF?" LOL! Originally Posted by RideFreeInTexas
I started a topic about just that a few years back. Here is the link:

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=28420&highlight=

For me, it was really tough turning 46. I felt that I wasn't in a good place and also, on that birthday, my father told me that I was in the youth of old age. It was a very depressing birthday.

It just seemed like life would go downhill from there.

I was VERY wrong.

(Thank you, God!)

Turning 50 wasn't a big deal for me. There are some advantages to being the older one around (sometimes).
Well not to side track, but I have been offered a senior discount at a few restaurants even though I'm not truly at the senior discount age yet, but who am I to complain.
Well not to side track, but I have been offered a senior discount at a few restaurants even though I'm not truly at the senior discount age yet, but who am I to complain. Originally Posted by cubsoxbull

Wait'll you start getting mail from AARP!! THAT hurts.
Wait'll you start getting mail from AARP!! THAT hurts. Originally Posted by txcwby6
they start sending it out when you turn 50!!!
not sure where they get your name and address, tho.
they start sending it out when you turn 50!!!
not sure where they get your name and address, tho. Originally Posted by pmdelites
yup.. I remember when mine came, I was expecting tickets to come in the mail, and anxiously grabbed that envelope thinking.. then I saw those ugly big letters in the upper left-hand corner.. "God Damnit"! I ripped it up..

Ha! Some little hottie starts the "daddy or papi" thing on me and I blow like a premature teenager...that usually teaches them! lol
Originally Posted by riday
happened to me last night at Chica's Bonitas.. Mexicana calling me "Daddy".. at least have the courtesy to say "Papi".. got a dance anyway, sucked on her titties and fingered her South of the Border..
yup.. I remember when mine came, I was expecting tickets to come in the mail, and anxiously grabbed that envelope thinking.. then I saw those ugly big letters in the upper left-hand corner.. "God Damnit"! I ripped it up..

happened to me last night at Chica's Bonitas.. Mexicana calling me "Daddy".. at least have the courtesy to say "Papi".. got a dance anyway, sucked on her titties and fingered her South of the Border.. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
never understood why that'd be a compliment when associated with a tit in my face or a dick in her hand..yeah..that's when I want some girl to be calling me Daddy!
I think watching my kid hitting 16 and then 21 bothered me more than any of mine ever have. I didn't even really think about mine. But his..... it sucks watching them grow up and not need you anymore, but at the same time it feels good knowing that they will be ok without you. Oh the bitter sweet... Originally Posted by threepeckeredbillygoat

You and your wife need to move...that way he cannot move back in.
Id have to say my 40th...it hit me hard lol
You and your wife need to move...that way he cannot move back in. Originally Posted by pyramider
She already has. And I wasn't invited to go with her, lol.

And that's what not being able keep it in your pants will do boys and girls.
29 because i knew the next one was 30.made me Think about alot of things.
The next one always hits me hardest. And it gets worse each year.

But a few that had particular punch:

35 -- half my allotted three score and ten. The realization that I had lived roughly half my life -- including the half in which I would have the most leisure -- was not a good one.

50 -- fairly self-explanatory. It's a big one. And even if you can somehow convince yourself that you're going to make it to 100, you realize that the last 10-15 years may well not find you in great health, and you're half way to 100. And let's face it, you know you're not going to make it to 100 they way you've been living, now are you?

55 -- this one, and it's recent, seemed to pack a big punch. I well remember when, professionally, I was the youngest lawyer in a big law suit. Now, I'm usually the oldest guy in a big law suit. Actually trying lawsuits is a young man's game, and it gets tougher every year. Mentally. Physically. Emotionally, depending on the type of case.

And now, everybody calls you "Sir." You're getting asked about senior citizen's discounts. And you're looking at your portfolio, and after many years of saying, "I'm OK being heavily into growth because 1) I'm doing very well financially; and 2) I've still got a long earning horizon, so I don't need the downside protection from even a moderately long down market," you now find that while you're doing well, you're not doing as well as you did ten years ago. And you're likely to retire (after a fashion) in a few years and a down market of even three to four years would make you think a bit differently about retirement. Yeah, even though you still could do it quite comfortably, could you live where you want to and travel as much? Hmm . . . . Maybe I'd better pull back a bit?

You find that every decision you make you make with one eye on your retirement in just a few years. You think less about work, and more about "the rest of your life."
Id have to say my 40th...it hit me hard lol Originally Posted by Brandee69
40 was the hardest birthday for me and I went through the stereotypical "middle age crazy" phase. There have been (quite) a few since then, but they just don't bother me anymore. Discovering the hobby has kept me feeling young, so I don't mind taking the AARP discounts when I can .
  • hd
  • 08-01-2014, 06:15 AM
25 was tough for me, the sound of I'm a quarter century old sounds worse than a half century old, but I'm way beyond that now. Have to say life gets better every year, but when I start dropping the bike at stop lights will be my sign to start looking for a rocking chair!
I appreciate the candor. mine was 39. So happy I am still here short of double that.