why not pay college players?

there are student athletes playing other sports other than football or basketball that are also on full scholarships. even though they don't necessarily bring in revenue for the school (cause who really cares about the bowling team) those athletes will also want the same payouts. Originally Posted by JCM800
Fuck those guys - this is about who brings in the money.
smaller schools would be at a disadvantage ... simple Originally Posted by CJ7
Well then they get smaller pay in accordance to what each college can afford. I don't have a problem with paying college students. Maybe not on the level pro's get, but certainly some form of compensation. Especially in light of how dangerous the sport is and the injuries that happen during game play.
Smaller school usually are at a disadvantage over large schools.

About 20 years ago there was an article about a bunch of smaller schools (usually religion based) who had basketball teams just as a profit center. No decent basketball arena for home games, they were playing the top universities usually in their first 15 games solely to get crushed...and a nice part of the gate receipts. Almost all their games were away.
there are student athletes playing other sports other than football or basketball that are also on full scholarships. even though they don't necessarily bring in revenue for the school (cause who really cares about the bowling team) those athletes will also want the same payouts. Originally Posted by JCM800
If the bowling team racks in 20 million a yr, then they should get paid to.. Lol
I mean come on, they even sale the Jerseys of the players. The name may not be on it, but you know what number the players are and people buy them according to who's got that number sometime. Athletes can promote the school, the school gear, and have to attend all team functions especially ones that promote the school and the program, but a client I had become a little personal with tried to give him tickets to a baseball game cause he had season tickets and he had to say no. That's just retarded to me. An academic scholarship student doesn't have those same restrictions, so what's fair. It's not the same Ed. Or what?
I mean come on, they even sale the Jerseys of the players. The name may not be on it, but you know what number the players are and people buy them according to who's got that number sometime. Athletes can promote the school, the school gear, and have to attend all team functions especially ones that promote the school and the program, but a client I had become a little personal with tried to give him tickets to a baseball game cause he had season tickets and he had to say no. That's just retarded to me. An academic scholarship student doesn't have those same restrictions, so what's fair. It's not the same Ed. Or what? Originally Posted by ladylove12
Almost every industry has jobs that require someone to sweat and to work in the dirt, the grime and the muck. That same industry likely also has cushy office jobs where employees wear suits and ties and where they work in air conditioned offices. Some jobs pay more than other jobs: a secretary might be paid more than a pipefitter's helper but not as much as a pipefitter, etc. Regardless of the situation, every employee has the right to quit if they don't believe they're getting a fair return for their invested effort. If your brother doesn't like his athletic stipend, he can always apply for an academic scholarship.
  • Laz
  • 09-17-2013, 11:03 AM
For those schools where the football program is not a profit center the costs are passed on to the students. With costs of college so high, why are they wasting money on that? As for those programs that are profitable, the NCAA rules are way to strict. They need to find a rational balance.
  • CJ7
  • 09-17-2013, 11:18 AM