That smell???

If the woman has the "fish" smell described by Fast Gunn, then she has something called Bacterial Vaginosis, or BV. The reason that it happens sometimes after a period is that blood has a basic pH, and it upsets the natural acidic pH of the vagina (about 4.5). Raising the pH of the vagina allows the BV to set in; those particular unfriendly bacteria cannot thrive at a pH of 4.5.
So, it is not normal for a woman to smell like that after her period; the only difference around that time should be a slightly metallic taste due to the iron in the traces of blood left over.
Barneyrubble, you did not describe exactly what you experienced here. Was it the fishy smell from BV, or was it something else? I suppose you could be right about it being related to appointments prior to yours. The lubrication on some condoms is incredibly bitter, and latex isn't the most delicious thing, either. Originally Posted by China Doll
Are we talking about a faint smell of fresh fish, or something like the dumpster behind a seafood market? I've also experienced a few times when the lady was so freshly douched, I could taste the douche itself. Seems like a light douching with plain water after the commercial douche might be a good idea if DATY is expected very soon.
Learned alot of interesting stuff. Thanks ladies.