A Run in with LE!!!

I love the fact that suspected drunk drivers can refuse the breathalyzer. It makes me feel so safe to be on the roads. Originally Posted by S-Man
Well, part of that goes to the issue with it not being absolute.

It's not a perfect test.

A person who may be asked to take it - and people who have never taken a drink in their lives, and have been asked to take it - could test positive just because they had Listerine on their breath.

Cop gets a positive and this man who has never had a drop of booze in his life is charged with a DWI. Then all the court costs etc, etc...because the cop HAS to follow the rules, once that sucker pops a certain reading.

That is why you, as a citizen, have a right to refuse.

From what I understand...(of course I'm not an attorney...just a silly lil girl who tries to read, and follow instructions, and not look like a total moron ALL of the time....just some of the time)

And to Ms. Torre - or anyone in the back of a cop car who is STUPID enough to get out of their cuffs - better SPEAK UP FIRST - before spooking a cop. (I'm not even giving a speck of attention to drinking - or whatever it was that made him pull you over. You were in cuffs...there is a bit of protocol and respect to be had here.)

You are seriously asking for a beating or worse.

If I was that cop, I would have slammed on the breaks and fucking hog tied you...after I tazed your dumb ass for thinking you were being "sly" or even worse, "cute". I fucking hate that bullshit. "Oh, sorry...they were loose." bull fucking shit. Say something. That cop is worried about going home to his wife and kids every fucking time he clocks in - and some fucktard gets out of their cuffs and....fucking shit. You were in the wrong. Shit.

Seriously, use some fucking common sense when you are working with the people whom, with the all mighty power of their PEN and their PAPER can totally FUCK YOU OVER.

But hey, it's your life you are fucking up...not mine.

Shit all over it, all you want.
LOL... I doubt the situation happened at all like the OP is saying, but some "legal card" won't do a thing for you in terms of saving your ass from being arrested.

I agree with the other poster who said this seems like someone is trying to promote their scam product.
Being inebriated in the passenger seat is not a free pass. The officer could have pulled you from the car and done the same field sobriety test to you and cited you for public intoxication. Originally Posted by txcwby6
I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but don't you have the right to not exit the vehicle in some cases? I know that's how they can get you for public intox if you are not driving?

Any thoughts or comments on this?

Thanks
  • L.A.
  • 08-12-2012, 03:39 AM
So, let me set the scene. About two weeks ago, I was on my way home from a poker game at about 2:30 am with my Significant Other (SO). We are in a new candy apple ford mustang GT, driving through the Shops of Legacy in Plano on a Friday night. My SO is driving and we both have had been drinks. Bad, Bad, Bad situation!!! We are laughing, listen to music, and happy because we won second place. We get passed the Shops when we see LE lights in the mirrors. I'm a little freaked, because of the drinking.

Well, about a year ago my SO and I bought this service called LegalShield, and with this service we have 24/7 access to an Attorney in case the LE want to question, detain, or arrest us. When the officer came to the car, he said we where going 14 mile over the speed limit, and asked if we had been drinking. My SO explained where we were and that we had a couple drinks. LE takes our information and goes back to his cop car. My SO, pulls out our Legalshield card, looks at me, and said, "If he gets me out of the car, I'm going to see if this thing works."

So, he asks my SO out of the car, I rolled do the window to hear, then my SO hands the officer our card. He said "What is this?" and my So said, "I'm informing you that I have an attorney in case you want to question, detain, or arrest me." The cop looks at the card and then look at my SO. He said, "Step over here, please." and gives my SO the pen and eye drinking test. After the test, hands the cards back to my SO and said, "Now that you are out of the car, I don't smell any alcohol. I'm going to assume your friend is the one who has been drinking and you are driving her home." Shaking his head Yes. So, my SO said while shaking his head, "Yes, Officer." He said, "I'm going to let you off with a warning today, but slow down, and drive safe." He hands the card back to my SO and asked, "What's with the card?" All inquisitive looking. My SO, explained the service and gave him a business card to the lady who sold it to us.

OMG, this card is awesome. We laughed the whole way home. It was such a relief, a DWI would have really effed up our life. This card kept him out of jail, no huge fines, and a DWI off his driving record. I think everyone in the hobby could use this service. It has a lot of other benefits with it, like traffic tickets, IRS, and trail representation, plus a Will and unlimited legal advice, but the 24/7 access to an attorney was the reason I got it. AND, IT'S ONLY $26 a month. I don't have to pay thousands for an Attorney on retainer, besides he wouldn't have answered my phone call at 2:30 in the morning. If you want to know how to get this service, Call me at 214-546-1343 or PM me I will give you the ladies number. Originally Posted by Phoenix Dawn
Thank God you and your intoxicated SO were allowed to continue on your drunken merry way.....a relief to us all.
btw, I have a card also that I use, but I don't have to pay $26/month for it:

BTW.... Do a google search for "Legal Shield" and one of the suggested searches is "Legal Shield Scam". Read some of those instead of falling for something like this.
Pyramid scheme scam!
who gives a shit about the card in the first place ? Why would i be interested in something that just makes it easier for ignorant people to endanger other innocent people's lives ? Aside from the basic character flawit takes to be involved - not a good business model.

How about being smart enough to just not drink and drive ? !
OMG, this card is awesome. We laughed the whole way home. It was such a relief, a DWI would have really effed up our life. This card kept him out of jail, no huge fines, and a DWI off his driving record. Originally Posted by Phoenix Dawn
Let me get this straight. Your SO spends the evening drinking and playing poker. At 2:30 a.m. in Plano, he's pulled over driving a sports car going 14 miles over the speed limit. Your SO admits to the officer that he's been drinking. The officer performs the horizontal gaze nystagmus test (which would be objective proof of impairment based on the facts you relate). However, the officer performs none of the other four field sobriety tests a cop usually performs during a DWI suspicion stop. Instead, your SO shows him a pre-paid legal services card and the officer, only because of that, lets him go.

I don't mean to be rude, but I think the story is a load of horseshit.

Would the card have helped if this was one of those No Refusal weekends? Originally Posted by S-Man
Only if it was thick and you kept moving it to cover the vein the labtech's trying to poke.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but don't you have the right to not exit the vehicle in some cases? I know that's how they can get you for public intox if you are not driving?

Any thoughts or comments on this?

Thanks Originally Posted by happyjack69
An officer has the right to issue reasonable directions to a person during a traffic stop. Asking someone to get out of the car is, in my view, a reasonable direction. Refusing to get out of the car is total dumbass behavior and I wouldn't suggest it. You may be innocent of DWI but get cited for POTP (I'll let one of my faithful readers say what that is).
Shyster!!!!!!
We knew you'd come round!!!!
Shyster!!!!!!
We knew you'd come round!!!! Originally Posted by tntangie
I was busy working my weekend job on the 24/7 LegalShield Help Line.
And the ThreAD goes on...................
and on and on............................ .............................. ...
And the ThreAD goes on...................
and on and on............................ .............................. ... Originally Posted by Torito
title : Super Moderator

I'm no genius, but it seems you have the power to put a halt to it.
Phoenix,
The company I work for just signed all of us up for this very same service. I dont see how you can go wrong with what little it costs each week. The will kits and all are worth the sign up on their own,
Well,
If we are gonna make it a threAD...
Why don't I point out that when I am cuffed with my hands behind my back, I like how my hands feel on my fat ass...

And that ass feels GREAT!!!!
title : Super Moderator

I'm no genius, but it seems you have the power to put a halt to it. Originally Posted by still-asleep
1. Perhaps you seem to overestimate my power.

2. Threads run here often.

Torito