Apple's Letter to its customers

well till you or have family that was close by when this went down
you may feel a little different ...
but with me say this I do agree with apple / not a apple user myself
my mother was close by when this all happen and she was scared to death
seems there should be some way to just get the info from the phone itself ..
I don't know much on the whole thing or about how it would be done ..
Hate to ruin your mind but every thing has a back door.
Here is one for you to pounder on.
You buy an expensive save and need to get into it?
Umm how do u get in?
If it's electronic company has a secure nimber that only certain vendors have.
Also if it is a combination they have a very special template.
You place it over the safe make a 1/16th drill hole insert the paper clip and your in.
Feel safe now.
Or how about this every day a car is stolen and the chipped key is still with the owner and no tow truck was used.
No tin foil needed. Originally Posted by turtle138
It boggles the mind regarding your lack of knowledge of both electronic and manual combination locks.

Electronic lock manufacturers do not have secure backdoor combinations simply because of the liability involved in doing so. This would compromise every lock they manufacture and no reputable company would do so. It is possible that a locksmith or some end user might use one of the memory slots to add an access code, but once again the liability outweighs the convenience.

Because different manufacturers mount their combination locks in different places and manners inside a door, there is no magic template for drilling a lock, not to mention hard plate and other deterrents to drilling used in safes and chests. In addition, you'll never defeat a manual combination lock merely probing around with a paper clip. Watch a few YouTube videos to find out about the workings of a real combination lock before you prattle on about locks.

When I say real lock, I'm not talking about a Walmart safe you can whack with a shoe to open. It should have real moving bolts, a hinge side return so the door can't be removed either by removing or sawing the hinge pins and it should have a relocker. That's a device that locks the bolts if you try to just break the main lock to gain entry.

Modern car ignitions, that's another matter. They use transponder fobs which have nothing to do with either of these types of locks.

The main thing to keep in mind when trying to defeat a top grade commercial device, it's easier to go around it than through it.