Your favorite firearm for home defense and why

I'm not going to list my experiences and background with firearms, because at least a few people won't believe me. And it really doesn't matter. But I will share my thoughts on the subject:

The best defensive firearm is the one that you are A) comfortable enough to practice with, and can B) consistently, reliably hit the target with. Go to an indoor range that rents guns and try a variety of firearms and calibers. It'll be money well-spent. Hitting a criminal several times with a little bitty 22 will do more damage than missing him with a 45.

At minimum, I would recommend 38 Special +P for home defense use. Usually, for someone who is inexperienced with firearms, I recommend a revolver as a first handgun because it's much easier to operate. The downside is that you have fewer rounds than you would with a high capacity semi auto, but in the real world, most gunfights are over in just a few seconds.

Unless you have practiced extensively with a Sig, Glock, etc and can handle jams, failure to fire, etc in the dark without thinking about it, you're probably better off with a good revolver. A pump action shotgun is also a good choice as suggested by other posters, but you still have to aim.

If you have a good quality 38/357 magnum revolver at your bedside, and can ACCURATELY put those 5 or 6 rounds (or 7 with newer models) into the intruder, then the fight will be over quickly. All the comments about overpenetration of walls, etc won't matter if you put your shots into the criminal.

If you want to learn about clearing your house alone, combat tactics, etc, then go to a place like Thunder Ranch and get trained. Otherwise, just practice with your chosen sidearm and become proficient at putting lead where you want it to go.
If you are going to use a shotgun in a home with walls and furniture and fixtures in the way and not being able to turn on a dime because of the long barrel and stock, plus most people will not have any training and practice, you want to have something as compact and short as possible,

get one of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armsel_Striker
IMHO, nothing can compete with a well optioned AK. There are even pistol versions for close quarters. The 154 grain soft point bullet is perfect for home defense, it's a slower round with fantastic hitting power, I use it on coyotes. If you want to sleep with something under your pillow that feels like a toy water pistol but still makes you ready for close quarters war, try the KelTech PMR30. This fantastic little gun holds 30 rounds of 22WMR, has no recoil whatsoever, and could place 5 rounds into an offender before you could shoot him once with a higher caliber gun. Word of caution, use only the Hornady ammo designed for it, others will jam, the Hornady is flawless.
  • Crock
  • 12-26-2017, 09:24 AM
A pump action shotgun is also a good choice as suggested by other posters, but you still have to aim. Originally Posted by dark3419
Most shotguns are designed to be "pointed," not aimed, and they don't even have sights that can be used to aim, just a bead for pointing.

If you want to learn about clearing your house alone, combat tactics, etc, then go to a place like Thunder Ranch and get trained. Otherwise, just practice with your chosen sidearm and become proficient at putting lead where you want it to go.
Spending a week someplace like Thunder Ranch would be great, but I think that's a bit down the road for the OP. Practice is definitely needed regardless of what gun is chosen.

And you're right about the best gun being the one that you are most comfortable and proficient with.
Most shotguns are designed to be "pointed," not aimed, and they don't even have sights that can be used to aim, just a bead for pointing. Originally Posted by Crock
My Remington 870 has a 20 inch barrel with ghost ring sights. Many inexpensive yet reliable models of shotgun can be had with similar sights so that one can take proper aim.
well trained dogs are better than any firearm. The dogs will alert well before anyone will enter your home. Any I don't think anyone would try and enter a home when they hear dogs barking.
  • Crock
  • 12-27-2017, 11:18 AM
My Remington 870 has a 20 inch barrel with ghost ring sights. Many inexpensive yet reliable models of shotgun can be had with similar sights so that one can take proper aim. Originally Posted by dark3419
Not sure about your use of the phrase, "proper aim," but you're certainly correct that there are sights for shotguns.

Shotguns have worked just fine for a long time by just being pointed.

In a high stress situation, even if you have sights, aiming often doesn't happen.

If you're going to practice and develop the muscle memory to almost instinctively use the sights, that's one thing. For someone who's new to firearms and hasn't practiced, that's completely different.
AR-15 and Glock 9
well trained dogs are better than any firearm. The dogs will alert well before anyone will enter your home. Any I don't think anyone would try and enter a home when they hear dogs barking. Originally Posted by thebear69
Dogs are great but damn, you have to put them on the payroll with free medical, dental, 100lb bags of dog food, lots of TLC and long walks in the moonlight.
I just don't have time.
well trained dogs are better than any firearm. The dogs will alert well before anyone will enter your home. Any I don't think anyone would try and enter a home when they hear dogs barking. Originally Posted by thebear69
Unfortunately one well-placed bullet from the intruder can take care of a dog. Then what?

For home defense, you have to take into consideration several situations. How many break into your home? Are they armed? Are they on drugs? Do they have any reservations to take out the residents? What to they want?

That is why I have a Glock 21, 14 rounds with an extra 13 round magazine, a flashlight, and a phone as part of my home defense plan.
p226 and glock 22 for me
Here's another vote for a shotgun in your home. I have no small children so it stays loaded. All they will hear is the silence of me sliding the safety button off. Then....BANG!

Carry and car is a Glock 23.
I don’t have a lot of expertise with firearms. Originally Posted by Snafu75
Everything you will have need to know in your lifetime about guns in under 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dBn3fW1ijU
Agreed. Raised big dogs all my life. They're big fluffy love butts but ain't no one getting into the casa without my OK.

Firearms. Ruger .380 that's always with me.

FYI. Ft.Worth has their gun show this weekend in case any of y'all have extra $ left over from the holidaze.
Subjective , its depends firearms are tools deferent for each job. Living in the country AR city smaller handgun is it going to be carry and home smaller etc etc ,Good thread