NBC News Speaker Pelosi called military chief about 'unhinged' Trump's access to nuclear launch codes

A Coup of Pelosi’s Own

The House Speaker publicizes her nuclear option to protect the world from Trump.

By The Editorial Board
Jan. 8, 2021 6:32 pm ET

We scoured the U.S. Constitution Friday afternoon and it’s definitely not there: the provision allowing the Speaker of the House of Representatives to intervene in the military chain of command to protect the world from President Trump.

Mrs. Pelosi told her Democratic colleagues that she spoke Friday morning to Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, “to discuss available precautions for preventing an unstable president from initiating military hostilities or accessing the launch codes and ordering a nuclear strike.” She posted the “Dear colleague” letter on her website to make sure the world got the message. A spokesman for Gen. Milley told reporters the chairman “answered her questions.”

The press and left-wing Twitter (we repeat ourselves) love the idea of the Speaker inserting herself into the chain of command as a rebuke to an erratic President. But it’s an abuse of her own power, which is limited to leading the legislative branch unless both the President and Vice President are incapacitated or removed from office. In that case she is third in line for the Presidency.

But in the meantime she has no business telling the Joint Chiefs not to follow the President’s orders. Gen. Milley hardly needs the lecture, as he has been dealing with Mr. Trump for 15 months and isn’t about to indulge an unlawful order, much less an effort to launch nuclear weapons.

Mrs. Pelosi’s call to Gen. Milley is itself a violation of the separation of powers by seeking to inject herself into an executive-branch military decision. She can offer advice all she wants, but this call at this time has the sound of an order. It might even be construed by some as its own little coup—conniving with the military to relieve of command the person who remains the elected President.

What if an adversary leaps on the news and decides this is the moment to stage some military action when the U.S. is consumed with internal conflict? Does Gen. Milley now have to consult with the Speaker before he acts in America’s defense? How anyone thinks her intervention would restore good constitutional order to government or some modicum of sanity to politics is a mystery.

Mr. Trump failed his constitutional test on Wednesday. But Mrs. Pelosi showed awful judgment with her grandstanding over the nuclear launch codes. Late Friday she announced that she’s also revving up the impeachment machinery. So much for calming political tempers. Originally Posted by lustylad
It is the role of congress to declare war except in the case of an attack. Congress has every right to try to ensure a deranged ousted president doesn't do anything stupid in his last days in office.
  • oeb11
  • 01-10-2021, 02:45 PM
Ummm - 'r' - please check your Constitution - the house is only a 'part of Congress" - it is the lower house. .

Why impeach, and forward to the Senate months later????

show a medical evaluation validating your opinion, Please.

And - answer a question - what in teh world are the DPST's thinking - forwarding an impeachment case on a POTUS no longer in office. .??? I recognize impeachment failed earlier in Trump's term - and is still unlikely to pass a Senate on a 66% required vote after biden's inauguration..

of course - Until biden is inaugurated - with radical harris and her marxist wet dreams - One may hold an opinion independent of the thought control police of 'teh' DPST party.

such as- my opinions.
  • oeb11
  • 01-10-2021, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by lustylad
A Coup of Pelosi’s Own

The House Speaker publicizes her nuclear option to protect the world from Trump.

By The Editorial Board

We scoured the U.S. Constitution Friday afternoon and it’s definitely not there: the provision allowing the Speaker of the House of Representatives to intervene in the military chain of command to protect the world from President Trump.

Mrs. Pelosi told her Democratic colleagues that she spoke Friday morning to Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, “to discuss available precautions for preventing an unstable president from initiating military hostilities or accessing the launch codes and ordering a nuclear strike.” She posted the “Dear colleague” letter on her website to make sure the world got the message. A spokesman for Gen. Milley told reporters the chairman “answered her questions.”

The press and left-wing Twitter (we repeat ourselves) love the idea of the Speaker inserting herself into the chain of command as a rebuke to an erratic President. But it’s an abuse of her own power, which is limited to leading the legislative branch unless both the President and Vice President are incapacitated or removed from office. In that case she is third in line for the Presidency.

But in the meantime she has no business telling the Joint Chiefs not to follow the President’s orders. Gen. Milley hardly needs the lecture, as he has been dealing with Mr. Trump for 15 months and isn’t about to indulge an unlawful order, much less an effort to launch nuclear weapons.

Mrs. Pelosi’s call to Gen. Milley is itself a violation of the separation of powers by seeking to inject herself into an executive-branch military decision. She can offer advice all she wants, but this call at this time has the sound of an order. It might even be construed by some as its own little coup—conniving with the military to relieve of command the person who remains the elected President.

What if an adversary leaps on the news and decides this is the moment to stage some military action when the U.S. is consumed with internal conflict? Does Gen. Milley now have to consult with the Speaker before he acts in America’s defense? How anyone thinks her intervention would restore good constitutional order to government or some modicum of sanity to politics is a mystery.

Mr. Trump failed his constitutional test on Wednesday. But Mrs. Pelosi showed awful judgment with her grandstanding over the nuclear launch codes. Late Friday she announced that she’s also revving up the impeachment machinery. So much for calming political tempers.

LL is exactly correct - but the Constitutional separation of powers, and common sense - have never been nazi pelosi's strong point
As she clearly showed herself to be the power mad, preening center of attention desirous DPST callow,lying, hypocritical politician she has always been, and always will be.

nazi Pelosi controlling the nuclear codes - well - the DPST's have attempted less intelligent maneuvers, and will again.
I just want to know who Pelousi is going to be bitching about on Jan 25th.
She needs a deflection target so some folks don't realize she's nothing but a windbag balloon about to pop.
Ummm - 'r' - please check your Constitution - the house is only a 'part of Congress" - it is the lower house. .

Why impeach, and forward to the Senate months later????

show a medical evaluation validating your opinion, Please.

And - answer a question - what in teh world are the DPST's thinking - forwarding an impeachment case on a POTUS no longer in office. .??? I recognize impeachment failed earlier in Trump's term - and is still unlikely to pass a Senate on a 66% required vote after biden's inauguration..

of course - Until biden is inaugurated - with radical harris and her marxist wet dreams - One may hold an opinion independent of the thought control police of 'teh' DPST party.

such as- my opinions. Originally Posted by oeb11
His recent deranged actions don't require a medical evaluation.

It requires 66% of the present Senators. Not all Senators have to be present. One thing for sure is he will get a trial this time in the Senate, which didn't happen last time. A conviction this time means he is done politically forever. Republicans should be on board with this. None of them should be looking forward to debating him in the future. They'd be smart to totally oust him. America needs to rid David Koresh of the white house and the cult that follows disbanded.
  • Old-T
  • 01-10-2021, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by lustylad
A Coup of Pelosi’s Own

By The Editorial Board

LL is exactly correct - but the Constitutional separation of powers, and common sense - have never been nazi pelosi's strong point
As she clearly showed herself to be the power mad, preening center of attention desirous DPST callow,lying, hypocritical politician she has always been, and always will be.

nazi Pelosi controlling the nuclear codes - well - the DPST's have attempted less intelligent maneuvers, and will again.
Originally Posted by oeb11
Poor pitiful tantrum. Take a deep breath.

ANY Congressman is within their rights to talk and ask questions, not only "advise" as you erroneously say.

Since almost any person would equate use of nuclear weapons to an act of war, that too makes it the legitimate preview of the Congress. If we were already at war with the target, that would be different, but at the moment I am pretty sure the list of countries we are at war with is quite small.

So no, she did not "execute her own coup", but as your hero The Fuhrer you have no use for truth when lies serve you better, do you?

Lastly, had she told the CJCS that he must listen to her about when to launch, I would agree with your point--that would be way out of her lane. But I missed the part where she was supposed to have said that. An honest misspeak by you? An honest oversight by you? It could be. But then we may be hit by a huge stealth asteroid this evening and all this is moot. But I doubt it. In both cases.

I will be very blunt: I think Pelosi is scum. My ideal election result for last Nov would have been Trump, Pelosi, and McConnell being all sent into retirement. But in this case what she did was prudent and within her authority--at least as far as what was reported.

But that doesn't stop the zombies and stormtroopers on here from passing along some dumb stuff they find, and in your case embellishing it in your special way.
  • oeb11
  • 01-10-2021, 06:17 PM
Thank u for your opinion.

i do agree about nazi pelosi - she is a feckless hack - just as Schumer.
I do suggest that you read the Constitution - LL is correct.
Nancy is rocking in a free world and keeping the world safe from the unhinged pos
until Biden/Harris take over and make America smart again

Does ob1 still not make any since or Wtf
  • Old-T
  • 01-10-2021, 06:46 PM
Thank u for your opinion.

i do agree about nazi pelosi - she is a feckless hack - just as Schumer.
I do suggest that you read the Constitution - LL is correct. Originally Posted by oeb11
I saw LL post the article--I must have missed his own comments. I often think his thoughts are worth reading, even the ones I disagree with.

But in this case I do not see anything in the constitution that says--or implies--a separation of conversation. IF she was stating that she had the authority to usurp control, I would completely agree with you. I did not see that in the piece.

For 30+ years dealing with various parts of the DC bureaucracy, including Cabinet level to Congress level, I have seen a consistent set of guidelines for actions between Exec & Leg branches. Depending upon the topic, any cross branch conversations have to be OK'd at "an appropriate level". The CJCS & the Speaker are assumed to be "an appropriate level" and have the authority (and judgement) to know what is allowed and not. Unless Trump or SECDEF had said in advance "Don't talk about XXX", the CJCS would be assumed to be able to decide what he could/could not talk about with Congress.

IF the conversation was, "What safeguards are in place?", I would think any CJCS would consider that within his purview to talk in general terms. If the conversation went to "I am telling you not to let Trump do that without my approval", or anything like that, I expect Milley would have quickly ended the conversation and ignored the demand.