Craiglist killer commits suicide....

• 08-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Whether he committed suicide or not he had not been convicted and even if he was guilty is it really something to laugh and make jokes about? Originally Posted by Whispers
What could be funnier?
Jesus may have been the forgiving type, but bear in mind that he was allegedly the son of a God who killed off 99.999% of the world's population in Noah's Flood for their "wickedness," and smote a passel of Egyptian soldiers, many just doing their jobs as ordered by the Pharoah, for chasing the Israelites through the Red Sea after sending a plague to kill off all of Egypt's firstborn sons. Sounds a wee bit spiteful to me. The pendulum seems to swing heavily toward accounts of divine vengeance rather than clemency, Armageddon being the big swat we're all looking forward to. Where do we get our vindictive streak from? The Bible! The whole Christian concept of Hell is eternal punishment, so where's the mercy in that?

Don't get the fallen Catholic schoolgirl in me started on the iniquities of religion. That's why I have 6 chihuahuas. "Dog" spelled backward is "God," ya know. I have a pantheon who expect blind devotion in the Temple of Furry Faith. Originally Posted by Fancyinheels
I think I have found a new lady crush! You made my morning Fancy. Fucking beautiful
Truly Amazing......

I understand and support the need for a death penalty for certain crimes although I believe a life spent in solitary confinement in a maximum security prison to be more of a punishment.......

What I do not understand or support are people celebrating or rejoicing at the death of another human being.

Whether he committed suicide or not he had not been convicted and even if he was guilty is it really something to laugh and make jokes about? Originally Posted by Whispers
This guy severed all societal ties when he murdered a complete stranger for shits and giggles. He picked women, specifically a sex workers, because he knew they were the weakest targets with the least recourse (which is fairly typical of serial killers). He was robbing women for the thrill of it and ended up killing one of them. He bought the gun he used months beforehand using a fake ID. He was also keeping trophies (their panties), another sign of a developing serial killer. He was also a sexual thrill seeker as evidenced by his apparent obsession with BDSM and transvestites (not meaningful in and of itself, but it adds to the constellation of evidence). He committed another robbery two days after committing murder. That isn't the act of a man who feels remorse--Why would I feel the least bit of remorse or sympathy for him? As far as I'm concerned, he's human only in the strictest biological sense, he's scum who was luckily cut short at the beginning of his criminal career.

P.S. Let's not pretend that evidence in this case was lacking and that there was credible question as to his guilt. There was video surveillance footage of him at the hotels where the crimes occurred. One of the victims picked him out of a photo line up. E-mail correspondence between him and the victim originated from his IP address. The gun used to kill the girl was found in his home as were panties from the victims.

Howdy, Folks!

Hmm...shouldn't the title to this thread read, "Suspected Craiglist killer commits suicide....?"

Or, "Alleged Craiglist killer commits suicide....?"

Or, something to that effect?

Last time I checked in this country, it was presumed innocent until proven guilty.

That particular concept within law is a *very* good one, IMHO. Originally Posted by Baloney Pony
Sure it is. But this isn't the courtroom or a media outlet.

Should the lady in Iran/Iraq? (not sure where) be stoned to death as sentenced ?...... will the same people here celebrating the death of this man be silent regarding those in that country that celebrate the death of someone that broke a law they tend to believe in? Originally Posted by Whispers
If we're going to place sharia law on level with American law and presume that offenses such as disobeying your father or having sex outside of marriage are on level with murder (and indications of being a burgeoning serial killer), then I don't think we're going to have a rational discussion.
This story in general freaks me out in a way I cant not describe and for reasons I can not freely post but someone said this has to be on of our biggest nightmares and you could not be more right on that one

Yes if he is truly guilty then his death may be a good riddance but he also left many unanswered questions that other suriving victims and family will for sure never have answered....I also think he took the easy loser coward *ussy way out way out..he doesnt have to deal with what he did anymore but everyone left in the after math has been given a life sentence so to speak due to his actions

I'm not gonna be popular for saying this, but given that this guy is not clearly a total scumbag, is it possible that he may not really be the predator that prima facae circumstances suggest?

Do we really know what led to the homicide? Do we know that he set out to kill someone? Is it possible that she tried to rip him off, or something else happened? Originally Posted by glad_he_ate_her

New last night had some friend of his on and she said looking back so of the then geeky this he did then seem very creepy after the fact...
It was also stated he had robbed a few ladies of this nature to support his gambling habit..
The US is one of the only countries in the "developed world" which still practices capital punishment AND has the highest documented incarceration rate in the world. Look at the map below for countries that practice the death penalty. The US is the same color as some of the more totalitarian and brutal regimes.

95 have abolished it.
9 retain it for crimes committed in exceptional circumstances (such as in time of war).
35 permit its use for ordinary crimes, but have not used it for at least 10 years and are believed to have a policy or established practice of not carrying out executions or is under a moratorium

if you think the prosecutor really cares for the truth to come out, you are sadly mistaken. They just want to win a case, like a notch on your rifle barrel after a kill.

How many of you remember Illinois - where a study showed innocent people had mistakenly been put to death?

In January 2000, Governor George Ryan of Illinois imposed a moratorium on the imposition of the death penalty in Illinois. In reviewing death penalty cases since 1977, he determined that 13 death row inmates in the state had been cleared of murder charges, compared to 12 who had been put to death. Some of the 13 inmates were taken off death row after DNA evidence exonerated them; the cases of others collapsed after new trials were ordered by appellate courts. "There is a flaw in the system, without question, and it needs to be studied", Ryan said. Ironically, the Republican Governor had campaigned in support of the death penalty. Ultimately in January 2003, Governor Ryan commuted all death sentences to prison terms of life or less Originally Posted by shaft.drive
I am against the death penalty but not for moral reasons. It is too expensive. The cost of putting someone on death row is much higher than life in prison. Also the death penalty does not prevent recidivism. The death penalty is not practical.
He was robbing women for the thrill of it and ended up killing one of them. He bought the gun he used months beforehand using a fake ID. Originally Posted by txtraveler07
Actually, he was robbing them to pay for his serious gambling problem.
I am against the death penalty but not for moral reasons. It is too expensive. The cost of putting someone on death row is much higher than life in prison. Also the death penalty does not prevent recidivism. The death penalty is not practical. Originally Posted by rekcaSxT
I'm pretty sure that the death penalty very effectively prevents recidivism...eventually.
um, I'm pretty sure that on a case by case basis the death penalty, when executed, definitely and instantly cures any recidivism

how many of us had to look up the meaning for recidivism?
Just as hobbyists like Travis Co., I like Austin because it is a bastion for those who may be in a minority, but are tolerated.

Go ahead and support taking a life if you like. It may take a generation or two before this changes, but it will.

I cannot give a life, so I am against taking one. I am pro choice but anti death penalty. I am pro euthanasia though which is against the law
an entire rant typed and deleted....carry on with both sides of the argument

why would you expect another generation or two to impose some change, what kind of change are you implying may happen?

So, given the choice today with Adolph Hitler or Josef Stalin (or any other # of horrific people) standing before you for judgement you would recommend life without parole?
I know the definition of recidivism. Although I could have been more specific, the THREAT of the death penalty does not prevent recidivism. Convicted killers on death row have killed while facing the death penalty, have escaped and killed, etc... plus the majority of murderers are not serial killers, no the death penalty (or the threat of it) does not prevent recidivism.
It works in England where the cops don't carry guns, violent crimes unless terroristic in nature (IRA) just don't happen. But then, we do tend to coddle people way to much here in the US.

Case in point, San Francisco has decided that the reason our children are to fat is the toys in a Happy Meal. Never mind that parents no longer promote healthy diets, exercise, and a life away from video games, dvd's, etc.... Apparently the San Francisco parents cannot say NO if the kids say "I want a happy meal tonight so I can get that cheap ass toy". Abdication of responsibility is the first step to abdication of all civil rights.
So, given the choice today with Adolph Hitler or Josef Stalin (or any other # of horrific people) standing before you for judgement you would recommend life without parole? Originally Posted by kittyloveratx

Solitary Confinement / Life without the Possibility of Parole.....

Yes..... In my opinion.... A Punishment worse then death......
(1) why would you expect another generation or two to impose some change, what kind of change are you implying may happen?

(2) So, given the choice today with Adolph Hitler or Josef Stalin (or any other # of horrific people) standing before you for judgement you would recommend life without parole? Originally Posted by kittyloveratx
(1) a more humane generation that will not tolerate the death penalty

(2) Hitler was revered by Germany in his time. A whole nation bought the idea of a supreme race; even though Germany had intellectual giants during the time of Hitler

Stalin's great purge killed over a million people.

One does not have to go that far back. There are totalitarian & brutal regimes today that are a scourge on this planet.

What difference does it make if even such people, once convicted are allowed to live .....as long as they are not a danger? Is killing them somehow going to bring any of those they have killed back to life?
I wish Hitler hadn't been a pussy and killed himself. They could have a whole tv show about how people pay thousands of dollars just to kick him in the balls once.

I am not a fan of the death penalty as I have said. However in the case of Hitler the cost would be worth it. BUT the reward of seeing him miserable for the rest of his life instead of taking the bitch way out would be worth it.

I was trying to find the quote from George Carlin where he talks about fencing off one of our square states and putting all the crazies and murderers in there with live ammo, and let them take car of themselves.