Early voting for Texas State senate seat

I don’t think non-citizens should be allowed to vote. Of course, citizenship should be able to be defined by the governmental entity in question. I’d think all “states rights” supporters would agree with that, Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Yes, depending on how far we could take "states rights" with respect to previous issues arising from that concept.

Local control of schools and voting districts comes to mind.
Seems like we're talking about the same thing.
Seems like we're talking about the same thing. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
"Seems," but not. An "issue" with the California Model of Illegal Voting in local elections ... the ILLEGAL VOTERS are "registered" to vote on the same voter registration list the county/state elections utilize, and "registrars" in California have openly admitted that in news interviews.

Another more direct "issue" is that local elections, like cities and school districts, have a greater potential for impact on locals than do statewide or district elections (state or federal offices). That's particularly critical in California, which rejects Federal jurisdictional matters (unless they want a handout) and systematically have set up "sanctuary" jurisdiction for the illegals ... who vote for the folks setting up the "sanctuary" or "school system" that provides them cover and an education on the taxpayers' tit.

BTW: That was an argument for issuance of driver's licenses in California to illegal aliens, and they were claiming the licenses are "marked" to ID their nonlegal status in this country .... but they whine about "voter" registration IDs? Why?
If they're allowed by statute to vote in those local elections, then they're not ILLEGAL VOTERS are they?

Are these voters paying taxes in those school districts?

Are they documented immigrants?

Are their children in the schools?

Again, I don't think non-citizens should be allowed to vote in Federal elections. The claim that they are is false.

Of course, this thread isn't about that. It's about the special election for the Texas Senate seat vacated by the convicted Carlos Uresti.

Are they documented immigrants?

Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Illegal aliens are NOT "documented immigrants" ...

... unless one wants to claim they are "documented" if they hold a passport from their home country ... and that's not what is customarily meant by that phrase, which is a major problem in attempting to have a sensible discussion in "immigration reform"!

If a "local" governmental body passes a law or ordinance stating clearly that a person illegally living in this country is entitled to vote in the elections held by that governmental body then for that governmental body (in the absence of any higher, restrictive laws or court decisions) can count their votes for that election "legally" for that body's elections.

Taxes: Perhaps sales taxes, but property taxes or income taxes?

One should probably do some serious investigating into the California "social benefits" system .... one reason why the State has been so in debt and having to increase taxes to pay for all the bullshit they've legislated. Why do you think businesses and employees fled the State years ago ... and if you pay electricity you are paying part of their unpaid electrical bills they left when they ran from the State ... approved by the Texas PUC in the form of rate hikes when they've been requested. Their "sales tax" contribution is marginal at best.

Why do you think Pelosi wanted "Obaminable" Care? To bailout the State's health care bullshit for their RETIREES!!!!!!! Now they've banned "fossil fuels" by 10 years off .. .if not sooner .... while preventing Western states from shipping coal overseas!!!!
non-citizens voting in local and federal elections.

its not a big deal. that was common before early 1900s. When people noticed this and started criticizing the process in both local and federal elections. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm

So you don't think illegal aliens being allowed to vote is a big deal?? Wow.

I don’t think non-citizens should be allowed to vote. Of course, citizenship should be able to be defined by the governmental entity in question. I’d think all “states rights” supporters would agree with that,

Yssup, Citizenship is NOT a state rights issue, since Citizenship is and always Should be a FEDERAL level power.

Seems like we're talking about the same thing. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
I want to end federal oversight of schools and voting districts - you agree with that?
So you don't think illegal aliens being allowed to vote is a big deal?? Wow. Originally Posted by garhkal
consider the context of what I said.

Prior to 1900, U.S. was mostly an open borders country. so it was reasonable to say that was not a big deal for non-citizens to vote in local, state and federal elections. no one really thought about it nor objected to their presence.

I think the change might have something to do with Theodore Roosevelt. He spoke of his disdain for hyphenated nationalities and what it means to be an American. that might have something to do with the change of thinking on who should be voting.

btw, I do think that non-citizens should not vote in state & federal election but do take a pass on them voting in local elections.
I want to end federal oversight of schools and voting districts - you agree with that? Originally Posted by friendly fred

the school thing needs to end. its ridiculous and never should have taken place. demographics will beat the courts every time. the ruling made it worse, its more segregated than it was.

best part is that the Northern schools were carved out of the oversight after voters in several democratic districts complained.
the school thing needs to end. its ridiculous and never should have taken place. demographics will beat the courts every time. the ruling made it worse, its more segregated than it was.

best part is that the Northern schools were carved out of the oversight after voters in several democratic districts complained. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
It essentially created a demand for suburban housing to escape the hell of urban schools for those who work hard and make money.
Obviously, you could stay in the rich section of town and send your kids to private schools, too. My girls all go to Hockaday.
So you don't think illegal aliens being allowed to vote is a big deal?? Wow.

[/I]

Yssup, Citizenship is NOT a state rights issue, since Citizenship is and always Should be a FEDERAL level power.

Originally Posted by garhkal
Not citizenship. Voting eligibility. I’m trying to agree with you.
I want to end federal oversight of schools and voting districts - you agree with that? Originally Posted by friendly fred
Wow!

I want root beer and the end to all unilateral military intervention by the US. Do you agree with that?

LOL,
Wow!

I want root beer and the end to all unilateral military intervention by the US. Do you agree with that?

LOL, Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
You are obfuscating and as such deserve to be maligned by all good people.