It's time for a change in my life, too.

Hey Tinny, I know its a tough time ... all the changes and all, just double the fiber in your diet and the gin will not matter.
TinMan, first of all my heart was in my throat when I saw the title and that wasn't FUNNY! I still remember fondly our sparring and jousting in the good ol' days and don't want to see another old fart leave.
And now I'm realizing that Gordon's isn't the best of gins? WTF?
  • MojoR
  • 08-08-2013, 07:52 PM
I so support your decision. While Bombay is a nice gin, Hendrick's is far superior!

If you ever get to Amsterdam I would suggest that you also try some jenever. Gin is a Dutch invention and oude jenever is still very much made the traditional way and differs nicely from modern English Gin.

So, proost (to your health) and enjoy your Hendrick's.
See cowboy45, we can change our sparring to subjects of liquor! We can show the young 'uns how us old knights can evolve!
I so support your decision. While Bombay is a nice gin, Hendrick's is far superior!

If you ever get to Amsterdam I would suggest that you also try some jenever. Gin is a Dutch invention and oude jenever is still very much made the traditional way and differs nicely from modern English Gin.

So, proost (to your health) and enjoy your Hendrick's. Originally Posted by MojoR
Great point about the Dutch gins. I've never tried any, but I remember this article about them: http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2...comeback/?_r=0

When we finalize the gin question, let's open up the Vermouth bucket of worms!
Gin was meant to be drunk in gin and tonics, not martinis. I think we need to have a long, heart-to-heart talk one day soon. Much may hang in the balance. Don't be hasty. This is an important decision. But is you only hear one thing I say, hear this, "Tanqueray!"
Saw this headline and I thought you were leaving...

Gin - Beefeater
Vodka - Grey Goose
Bourbon - Knob Creek
Wine - Cabernet or Pinot Grigio
Beer - Bellhaven
Smokes - Red Dragon
Women - P411 (Well, ECCIE, too)
Prolongus, the title of the thread made a little more sense in the context of some others in Coed Discussions, where I originally posted it.

It loses its punch over here in the Sandbox. Just glad everyone took it in good humor, as intended.

Also good to see so many people looking out for my best interests!
Except for the way Gin smells and tastes I love it.....
  • MojoR
  • 08-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Great point about the Dutch gins. I've never tried any, but I remember this article about them: http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2...comeback/?_r=0

When we finalize the gin question, let's open up the Vermouth bucket of worms! Originally Posted by slowmover
That is a nice little article. Brings back memories of warming up at the Olofspoort brown cafe in Amsterdam.
Alcohol is my second favorite subject. But it's a distant second.
Are you still sticking with the heartbreak motor oil?

Anyone that knows that reference without looking it up
gets a quarter.
Hendricks is infused with cucumber. Regardless of your sweet/dry preference, that flavor matters in every cocktail mentioned.

Hell...we aren't even talking about the differences between Genever, old tom, and London dry, let alone pot stills vs. modern stills, etc. All gin ain't created equal. They are as varied as "whiskey" when you get past the martini crowd.

Those who will talk about the topic, instead of talking about their other favorite spirits, are dicing about brand, rather than type. Which, I can understand, to some extent. If you are a Bombay vs. Beefeater person, that's one thing. They are both London drys.

But Hendricks, even as a dry, has a flavor component that throws it into a different class, IMO.

Tinman: if you just want a different London dry, my suggestion is Plymouth. It's a great staple at my bar.

Also, Grace gets -5 Internets for only being exposed to gins that have juniper in them, hence the "pine" problem. There are several styles that don't feature that at all. :P

TThog is also -5 Internets for being so myopic as to think that gin should be limited to quinine-infused beverages for the prevention of malaria. There is much more to the history of this spirit than just some Colonial mischief on the sub-continent.

For those that would rather just drink, explore and learn about why gin can be awesome: google is your friend on: The Pegu Club Cocktail, Corpse Reviver #2, and the Negroni.
Are you still sticking with the heartbreak motor oil?

Anyone that knows that reference without looking it up
gets a quarter. Originally Posted by bojulay
I'm drinking heartbreak motor oil and Bombay Gin,
Straight from the bottle. Twisted again

Rest in peace, Warren. Wherever you are.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum,
Hoist the mainsail - here I come.
Ain't no room on board for the insincere.
You're my witness,
I'm your mutineer.

I was born to rock the boat.
Some may sink but we will float.
Grab your coat, let's get out of here.
You're my witness,
I'm your mutineer.
I don't think it's a brand thing with me. It may very well be that I like the London Dry alternatives.

I was at a social event years ago where I was introduced to Tanqueray #10. I took an immediate liking to it over other gins. Perhaps it's an "anything but London Dry" bias?

Don't know, but I need to experiment more until I find the answer. Plymouth and Rangpur may need to be next on the list.