the Day the Music Died.. Michael Jackson Gone 10 Years Ago Today

I am with you Tinman, while some of the early Beatles stuff sucked, most all of the Stones stuff did. And Pat Boone? Oh jeebus please!!!!

I did not like the Animals either, or the Kinks. Are there two worse songs a cover band can do than Lola and House of the Rising sun? And this is coming from a former pro musician. Annd the originals are not that great either. Originally Posted by Look-at-Stupid
When you say most all the Stones stuff sucked, that was like the 13th chime of a clock. An utterance that not only discredits current utterances, but all that preceded or follow. Sorry, Pete Townsend was right when he said they’re the “greatest rock ‘n roll band if all time.” Only The Faces could give them a run for their money, but they were so short lived and never had a proper live anlumn made to capture them at their reputed best.

As for early Rolling Stones singles (arbitrarily say before Satisfaction) probably Heart of Stone, Time is on My Side, as Tears go By, and Last Time are the best.
Child molester. Rot in hell.
In addition to Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett who passed away on June 25, Colonel George Armstrong Custer was also having a bad day out at Little Big Horn on June 25, 1876!
9.25.1980 Bonham
3.19.1982 Rhodes
9.29.1986 Burton
8.27.1990 SRV
All these sad days leave me with one question, "Michael who?"
When you say most all the Stones stuff sucked, that was like the 13th chime of a clock. An utterance that not only discredits current utterances, but all that preceded or follow. Sorry, Pete Townsend was right when he said they’re the “greatest rock ‘n roll band if all time.” Only The Faces could give them a run for their money, but they were so short lived and never had a proper live anlumn made to capture them at their reputed best.

As for early Rolling Stones singles (arbitrarily say before Satisfaction) probably Heart of Stone, Time is on My Side, as Tears go By, and Last Time are the best. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Have you ever been paid money to play a gig or teach lessons? I bet money you have not.

That being said, my opinion stands clear. Three chord bullshit rock music is what it is. Not that great, and that is why we almost never hear the Stones being covered. The Beatles have been covered by everyone from Count Basie and every jazz group you can think of.

Keep your poor opinions to yourself in the future.
In addition to Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett who passed away on June 25, Colonel George Armstrong Custer was also having a bad day out at Little Big Horn on June 25, 1876! Originally Posted by Jed Clampett
Custer was a moron and an idiot.... WAIT! Is a moron and idiot the same thing?
Have you ever been paid money to play a gig or teach lessons? I bet money you have not.

That being said, my opinion stands clear. Three chord bullshit rock music is what it is. Not that great, and that is why we almost never hear the Stones being covered. The Beatles have been covered by everyone from Count Basie and every jazz group you can think of.

Keep your poor opinions to yourself in the future. Originally Posted by Look-at-Stupid
Working musician from age 14 to 17. Made a lot of money for being that young. Typical week was $100-200, which was a shit load of weekly money for a kid in the mid 1970’s. Three night lots of weekends. When I started college, I dropped it. Not exactly a pro, but I’ve played. Wish I still had my B-3, but I do have my old Fender Rhodes and a Korg BX-3.

“Five strings*, three chords, one asshole,” as Keith described it, has its place. And the Stones are one of the two** best bands in that genre. And the genre is perhaps the most prototypical, straight ahead style of rock ‘n roll. Does it have the musical chops and intricate detail or mid to late period Steely Dan? Of course not. The technical wizardry of prog rock warhorses like Yes and ELP? Not at all. The chameleon slickness and policy of David Bowie? No. The catchy melodic pleasantness of ‘the Beatles? Not on your life. It’s straight ahead rock. But it’s great straight ahead rock.

*On many Stones classics, Keith plays open G tuning, which most often uses five strings on the guitar, nit the customary six.

** The other: Faces.
Working musician from age 14 to 17. Made a lot of money for being that young. Typical week was $100-200, which was a shit load of weekly money for a kid in the mid 1970’s. Three night lots of weekends. When I started college, I dropped it. Not exactly a pro, but I’ve played. Wish I still had my B-3, but I do have my old Fender Rhodes and a Korg BX-3.

“Five strings*, three chords, one asshole,” as Keith described it, has its place. And the Stones are one of the two** best bands in that genre. And the genre is perhaps the most prototypical, straight ahead style of rock ‘n roll. Does it have the musical chops and intricate detail or mid to late period Steely Dan? Of course not. The technical wizardry of prog rock warhorses like Yes and ELP? Not at all. The chameleon slickness and policy of David Bowie? No. The catchy melodic pleasantness of ‘the Beatles? Not on your life. It’s straight ahead rock. But it’s great straight ahead rock.

*On many Stones classics, Keith plays open G tuning, which most often uses five strings on the guitar, nit the customary six.

** The other: Faces. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Cannot really say I care for Yes or ELP.....rock is rock, and I do not care to have it mixed with classical or country. Each genre stands on its own quite well. Steely Dan? MOST all of their stuff past their first album still stands up quite well today. Especially Asia and Gaucho still sound like they would merit airplay to this day.
Asia and Gaucho still sound like they would merit airplay to this day. Originally Posted by Look-at-Stupid
for the record, you meant to say "Aja", not post about "Asia", the ELP/Yes copycat band

TTH likes the Faces? pretty good Rolling Stones copycat band.. not exactly, but certainly influenced by the Glimmer Twins.

too bad Rod Stewart's voice didn't make it to age 30.. well it did, but it didn't REALLY.. I know people who love his 80's shit, I tell them Rod's early 70's stuff was 100 times better, they look at me like I'm some Relic, LOL
for the record, you meant to say "Aja", not post about "Asia", the ELP/Yes copycat band

TTH likes the Faces? pretty good Rolling Stones copycat band.. not exactly, but certainly influenced by the Glimmer Twins.

too bad Rod Stewart's voice didn't make it to age 30.. well it did, but it didn't REALLY.. I know people who love his 80's shit, I tell them Rod's early 70's stuff was 100 times better, they look at me like I'm some Relic, LOL Originally Posted by Chung Tran
Ouch, true, Asia did suck huge donkey balls.
We should be so lucky today to have such “second-rate” bands as the Kinks and the Faces. It’s a testament to how amazing were the mid-sixties through early seventies that one can minimize with a straight face some of the aforementioned bands of that era.
We should be so lucky today to have such “second-rate” bands as the Kinks and the Faces. It’s a testament to how amazing were the mid-sixties through early seventies that one can minimize with a straight face some of the aforementioned bands of that era. Originally Posted by TinMan
you are so right. I think there are several reasons music was so great during that period:

1) Stereo was new, it opened up more possibilities in sound (Psychedelic, for example) that bands wanted to explore

2) the huge initial success of the Beatles.. every kid ran and got a guitar after watching Ed Sullivan, not to mention other English bands raced to copy and compete

3) music education was actually taught in public schools.. budget decisions and competing claims from other "electives" killed that during the 1970's

4) music was a Brotherhood.. your learned your neighbor or schoolmate played Drums.. "hey, let's start a Band".. good musicians learned about other good musicians, and they wanted to play together.. sort of like playing Golf with a scratch golfer makes your game better. "Super" Groups sprang up, with talent on every instrument.

5) the Corporations did not understood rock music, they poured millions of dollars promoting Streisand and Johnny Mathis (and the like), while Rock flourished artistically, away from Corporate influencers that would "cheeze and destroy" the music. by the late 1970's, though, Corporations had wedged their way in.. Saturday Night Fever was a mega-seller, so EVERYBODY followed, went disco.. even Kiss and the Rolling Stones were affected. by 1981, and MTV, it was all over.. Corporations ruled, 80's pop spawned many huge-selling albums, with 6-7 big hits on each.. marketing overdrive.. of course streaming destroyed that, the Corporations barely squeezed 12 good years of profit.
Drugs, Chung. Don’t forget the drugs. How the hell does the world’s greatest pop band come up with “Tomorrow Never Knows”, much less get EMI to include it on a major album?

It proves you’re right, though....the Corporations really had no idea what was going on, thank the good lord.
Drugs, Chung. Don’t forget the drugs. How the hell does the world’s greatest pop band come up with “Tomorrow Never Knows”, much less get EMI to include it on a major album?

It proves you’re right, though....the Corporations really had no idea what was going on, thank the good lord. Originally Posted by TinMan
LOL!! Damn, for a second or so I thought you might be talking Garth Brooks....but sadly country these days has too much rock in it.
Paint it Black, Rocks!!!