Info requested from current or former waiters/waitresses

I usually just double the tax, rounded up the the nearest dollar, unless the waiter comped me on something or did something extraordinary to get more.
When I eat out alone (which is fairly often) the bill will run somewhere between $8 and $15 if I don't have a beer or mixed drink. If the service is decent - and I base that on how often the waitstaff checks on me AFTER I am served - then I do $3 - $5. If there is alcohol involved, I go to 25% and round up to the nearest dollar - always in cash because that gives the waitstaff the maximum amount of "discretion" if there is some sort of "tip out" involved.

Tip jars at the cash register of fast food restaurants where you get the food at the counter - you're fucking kidding me, right?
Im not sure what I tip, I do however tip very good. Im guess 25%, sometimes more.

I haven't ate by myself in a very long time, I guess when it comes to tipping, it would not matter.

I do try to tip decent, I may run into that waitress/waiter again.
When I eat out alone (which is fairly often) the bill will run somewhere between $8 and $15 if I don't have a beer or mixed drink. If the service is decent - and I base that on how often the waitstaff checks on me AFTER I am served - then I do $3 - $5. If there is alcohol involved, I go to 25% and round up to the nearest dollar - always in cash because that gives the waitstaff the maximum amount of "discretion" if there is some sort of "tip out" involved.

Tip jars at the cash register of fast food restaurants where you get the food at the counter - you're fucking kidding me, right? Originally Posted by Randy4Candy
because nobody likes a goon
because nobody likes a goon Originally Posted by cptjohnstone
Ahhh, the voice of personal experience...only an Agro-American would think putting a tip jar on a counter would justify a gratuity - especialy since those folks aren't base paid like waitstaff. I'm surprised that in this drought that Stoolwater T&T was able to keep the strings saturated well enough for you darlin's to have communications.

BTW, how much do you tip the counter guy at the Shit'N'Git there in Stoolwater?
Ahhh, the voice of personal experience...only an Agro-American would think putting a tip jar on a counter would justify a gratuity - especialy since those folks aren't base paid like waitstaff. I'm surprised that in this drought that Stoolwater T&T was able to keep the strings saturated well enough for you darlin's to have communications.

BTW, how much do you tip the counter guy at the Shit'N'Git there in Stoolwater? Originally Posted by Randy4Candy
did you eat today?

as to Shit'N'Git he is a very good friend of mine but it is call OnCue and they are kicking the shit out 7-11 in OKC

are you in Denton, finishing your degree, you only post miday so your job at Mcdonalds is the night shift?
a blast from the past, based on the strippers I have dated, pretty common

now the real question is, what do you tip at Sonic Originally Posted by cptjohnstone
Sonic carhops make at least minimum wage, not 2.13 per hour like waitresses. I usually give them 2 to 4 dollars.
did you eat today?

as to Shit'N'Git he is a very good friend of mine but it is call OnCue and they are kicking the shit out 7-11 in OKC

are you in Denton, finishing your degree, you only post miday so your job at Mcdonalds is the night shift? Originally Posted by cptjohnstone
nope, cpl onestone, handin' 'em out...
TXRocket and Little Stevie are great tippers along with a few others. If your service and food were great over tip your waitress and ask her to bring a 5 or 10 to the cooks. IT BLOWS their minds because no one ever tips the cook. I know because I was the cook and remember the few times some class act tipped me.
nope, cpl onestone, handin' 'em out... Originally Posted by Randy4Candy
that is what I said, handing out napkins at Mac's, that is what most zerou students and grad's do
I am a waitress I usually expect a small tip. My single tables are easier to manage and less work. But I always leave more than 5, 10, 15 regardless of my bill
I live on the road and eat out all the time as well. I rarely tip based on the check for the reasons you cite. I base my tip on a couple of things: how long I was there (how many times the waiter made a trip back to my table, and how long I took up the table from someone else who would be tipping), how many courses I ordered, and the quality of the service, of course. I rarely tip less that $2.50 per person at the table. That's pretty much my base. (This is for U.S., BTW. Different rules in Europe.)