Top 10 Most Miserable Cities in the U.S.

I call complete bullshit on NYC. I have a daughter who lives there and loves it. I visit often and probably spend 6 weeks a year there. It's a great town. Very safe. Lots of culture. Great restaurants. And a thriving business community.
I call complete bullshit on NYC. I have a daughter who lives there and loves it. I visit often and probably spend 6 weeks a year there. It's a great town. Very safe. Lots of culture. Great restaurants. And a thriving business community. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
+1

I go to NYC at least 2-3 times every year for biz and have always looked forward to the bright lights, big city! Except in the dead of winter, of course!
+1

I go to NYC at least 2-3 times every year for biz and have always looked forward to the bright lights, big city! Except in the dead of winter, of course! Originally Posted by bigtex
to hook up with Assup?
to hook up with Assup? Originally Posted by cptjohnstone

As far as I know I have never met a NYC lady named Assup. Which borough does she live in?
I agree here with TexTushHog and Bigtex. Visits to NYC are always quite a delight.

I understand that the violent crime rate is now substantially lower there than in many other large U.S. cities. (That was not the case 20 years or so ago.)

How it found itself on a top 10 "most miserable city" list is a mystery to me.
As far as I know I have never met a NYC lady named Assup. Which borough does she live in? Originally Posted by bigtex
HE says he lives in Harlem with his blow up doll wife

but now that Houston is in the American League you will have many more chances
but now that Houston is in the American League you will have many more chances Originally Posted by cptjohnstone
No more chances than we had in the National League! Or were you not aware that the Mets played in Queens all of those years?

Bottom line: If you can't find something meaningful and worthwhile to do in NYC, you're not looking too hard!
Well, that's something BiSex has never been accused of. Looking "too hard".

NYC is fabulous. Don't get up there as often as I'd like.

Muskogee, you're one confused dipshit!
Chicago is a great town, too. There's lots of violence in a small hand full of neighborhoods, but they're not the ones that you're likely to visit (or live in, unless you're dirt poor). Not sure what their criteria are.
I call complete bullshit on NYC. I have a daughter who lives there and loves it. I visit often and probably spend 6 weeks a year there. It's a great town. Very safe. Lots of culture. Great restaurants. And a thriving business community. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
As long as you don't want to buy a large soda there, sure.
Any city is miserable if you live in the shithole part of town.

I live in Houston, in a great part of Houston but Lord knows there are some parts I steer clear of. Same with every city. It is hell to be poor as the late great Marvin Zindler used to say! Originally Posted by WTF
How are things in Acres Homes? It is a great part of Houston if you judge it based on stray dogs and the availability of crack whores.
Actually NYC is a good place to be if you are poor....probably the best in America....

It is also one of the best cities to live in if you are mega wealthy.........

But if you are in the middle class, living in New York is a miserable existence.
did gary indiana have an upsurge of prosperity under mitch daniels?

it used to be mentioned in every list of actual or near miserability
I agree here with TexTushHog and Bigtex. Visits to NYC are always quite a delight.

I understand that the violent crime rate is now substantially lower there than in many other large U.S. cities. (That was not the case 20 years or so ago.)

How it found itself on a top 10 "most miserable city" list is a mystery to me. Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
NYC is fabulous. Don't get up there as often as I'd like. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
I think Whirly gets closer to the truth about the difficulty of living there if you are middle class.

There is no city in the US that is more fun to visit. Living there full time, however, can be a grind. If you are single and wealthy, it is fabulous. If you are middle income and trying to raise kids, it can suck the life out of you over time. That is why so many move out to the suburbs - try to give the kids a place to play and see some trees. But then you have to spend an hour plus each way on the trains.

I suspect that NYC made the list because of whining, complaining NYers who are tired of the long commutes, lousy service, and high prices - not so much because of crime, bankruptcy, or poverty. NY is on the list for a different reason than the other cities.

If you are visiting and staying in a hotel, you don't notice those things.

If you are young, making good money, and not tied down, you also don't notice those things.