Favorite wine

Hey SR Only: Manage to get into French Laundry?
I like Cabernet and Pinot Noir, depending on mood and food. Right now I am having a glass of Red Mare (Napa) Cabernet and enjoying it very much. It seems pretty good for the money.

For some reason I have found that most lady friends have preferred Pinot Noir. Also I've known a few ladies who don't drink red wine at all and prefer Chardonnay, so I try to keep a few bottles around. Rombauer is a pretty good medium-priced choice.

Although I usually like to "buy American", I put quite a few bottles of Bordeaux into my cellar last year. I suppose it's the least I can do to help bail out the beleaguered eurozone.
Hey SR Only: Manage to get into French Laundry? Originally Posted by discreetgent
Lordy, this is gonna sound bad. BTDT, about four times. last time (two or three years ago?) was not great. We maxed. Don't get me wrong it was a mighty fine meal but not to their standards.

Last year went to Cyrus in Healdsburg. Just about as good and more intimate (nice place to take Becky [Ed would have to get a babysitter] for a warm-up to a night with her).

This year was Hot Box Grille (no I am not making that name up). Funky little spot with very good food and service. Maybe ten or twelve tables. Modest price, no it ain't FL. Then down the street was El Molina. Funky Mexican place. Total meal for two was $26 (plus $10 for the six pack). Really fresh and wonderful food. Chicken mole was excellent.

We debated wandering over to Napa and to go to Red, but they like a lot of places closed for vacation. As I think about it the last visit to FL was the first day back for vacation for them, so that was prolly why they were off that time.

Oh last meal in SF the night before heading home was "Out The Door" on Bush Street (not makin' that up either) It is owned by the same folks who own Slanted Door. Another wonderful meal. Lots of buzz and nice people. Open kitchen, we watched the spring rolls being made (all this one woman did was dip the rice paper into water and make the rolls). Ok, not Rick Denko but it was fun. And by not going to Rick's or FL I can save my money to spend on the delightfully ladies here!
Although I usually like to "buy American", I put quite a few bottles of Bordeaux into my cellar last year. I suppose it's the least I can do to help bail out the beleaguered eurozone. Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
CM, I'd be happy to take the furrin' stuff off your hands. I will dispose of it in an appropriate manner. I won't even charge ya for my services.
CM, I'd be happy to take the furrin' stuff off your hands. I will dispose of it in an appropriate manner. I won't even charge ya for my services. Originally Posted by SR Only
Mighty kind of you!

Who says there aren't real gentlemen in this forum!?
The French really do know how to "do" wine. I love American stuff, but given a choice: French (or Italian), or ......
I like Cabernet and Pinot Noir, depending on mood and food. Right now I am having a glass of Red Mare (Napa) Cabernet and enjoying it very much. It seems pretty good for the money.

For some reason I have found that most lady friends have preferred Pinot Noir. Also I've known a few ladies who don't drink red wine at all and prefer Chardonnay, so I try to keep a few bottles around. Rombauer is a pretty good medium-priced choice.

Although I usually like to "buy American", I put quite a few bottles of Bordeaux into my cellar last year. I suppose it's the least I can do to help bail out the beleaguered eurozone. Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
Lesson every bachelor should have learned by the time they have their own place: always have a bottle or two of popularly priced white chilled in the fridge (no fancy wine locker required). A bottle or two of sparkling even better. It might sit for months, but one night (or early morning) it will pay huge dividends

Lordy, this is gonna sound bad. BTDT, about four times. last time (two or three years ago?) was not great. We maxed. Don't get me wrong it was a mighty fine meal but not to their standards.

Originally Posted by SR Only
DTDT???? help with the acronym?
Been There Done That
Been There Done That Originally Posted by SR Only
duh
I am first and foremost a Buy American kind of guy!

This past week we were at an upscale Austin restaurant. The Waiter recommended what he referred to as an "outstanding Australian wine." He claimed it was a better value than the Cabernet we ultimately chose. Yes, the Aussie wine was less expensive but I have a hard time believing it was better!

2005 Silver Oak. (Napa Valley) Rather expensive but absolutely delicious! Later, we all agreed that it proved to be an outstanding choice!

We did not have any cheese with the wine. Therefore, I have nothing more to report at this time! LOL
Glad you enjoyed. SO has some nice stuff!
Glad you enjoyed. SO has some nice stuff! Originally Posted by SR Only
Yes they do! International Wine Cellar gave it a rating of 91.

http://www.wineaccess.com/expert/tanzer/newhome.html
  • Roark
  • 01-13-2011, 11:15 PM
A nicely aged Paulliac, like Pontet-Canet, with a creamy Epoisse and country Baguette. A meal all to itself...
I am surprised that nobody mentioned Port. I'm a big fan of the Ports and Port cheeses... mmmmm. I can't wait to try the 2003 blend. Of course I have to have the Portugal blend... I can't drink alcohol fermented in barrels. A drink of Chardonnay about killed me once. Allergies to trees= beware of certain alcohols.

Japenese Fukki Plum wine is my favorite though. I know, it's inexpensive but it tastes so gooood and it cleans the palate making the flavors of seafood bolster in my mouth. A sip of wine, a bite of lobster, a sip of wine, a bit of steak, a sip of wine, a shrimp... it's orgasmic... wooohooo... it's a party for my taste buds.

Ports and Port cheese for entertaining and snacks. Japenese Fukki Plum wine with my favorite dinners; surfs and turf at the Japenese Steak Houses of course. rarraar!
I was about to write something about Ports. I love them! The only thing with ports is that I cant drink too much of it. I pretty much have a glass as a dessert after dinner. As far as other wines, my favorites are Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz. My favorite Cab is J. Bookwalter from Washington State.

I am surprised that nobody mentioned Port. I'm a big fan of the Ports and Port cheeses... mmmmm. I can't wait to try the 2003 blend. Of course I have to have the Portugal blend... I can't drink alcohol fermented in barrels. A drink of Chardonnay about killed me once. Allergies to trees= beware of certain alcohols.

Japenese Fukki Plum wine is my favorite though. I know, it's inexpensive but it tastes so gooood and it cleans the palate making the flavors of seafood bolster in my mouth. A sip of wine, a bite of lobster, a sip of wine, a bit of steak, a sip of wine, a shrimp... it's orgasmic... wooohooo... it's a party for my taste buds.

Ports and Port cheese for entertaining and snacks. Japenese Fukki Plum wine with my favorite dinners; surfs and turf at the Japenese Steak Houses of course. rarraar! Originally Posted by Lacey Companion