Harris the Hyena!!!!

The party not in power is known as the opposition.

In smarter, more genteel days, even as the “loyal opposition.”

Just in case you need reminding... the opposition party in the US is the remains of the Republican Party.

The rest of your bluster is just chest puffin there, buddy. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
There's only 2 things I enjoy about Parliamentary Government:

1.) The debates where they outright insult each other, and occasionally shoes are thrown or violence ensues. (I believe Robin Williams once described British Parliament as "Congress with a 2 drink minimum")

2.) The minority party leader is called the "Shadow Minister", and that's just a fucking cool title.
There's only 2 things I enjoy about Parliamentary Government:

1.) The debates where they outright insult each other, and occasionally shoes are thrown or violence ensues. (I believe Robin Williams once described British Parliament as "Congress with a 2 drink minimum")

2.) The minority party leader is called the "Shadow Minister", and that's just a fucking cool title. Originally Posted by GastonGlock
3.) the minority opposition also has the Shadow Cabinet.

2 drinks min? u need to up that to 3 or 4 drinks min. they quaff a lot of beer.
Shadow Guberments
3.) the minority opposition also has the Shadow Cabinet.

2 drinks min? u need to up that to 3 or 4 drinks min. they quaff a lot of beer. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
Shadow Guberments Originally Posted by rexdutchman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78FG7etXcyc
This thread touches on what disturbs me most in today's political climate. The utter lack of RESPECT to opposing views (and yes, I too have been guilty at times). In this country, one can vote Republican, Democrat, Independent, or even Communist as their choice. One can debate issues with those of opposing views in this country. Been that way since the beginning.

What has changed in recent times is that some no longer respect that privilege and resort to name calling, labeling, and shaming those of different viewpoint rather than debate issues of difference on their merit.

Perhaps a function of the internet age where every village idiot has a voice, IDK. Shit, I might also be a village idiot.

Thing is, I expect the leaders of ou country to be above village idiot level and to comport themselves appropriately when interacting with foreign leaders, press and public. They can do what they want DCD, but should be aware that the door is not always closed. Business is not diplomacy and diplomacy is not business.

The level of disrespect to those with opposing views has devolved to the current state and I fear that it tears the very fabric of our nation. I have my opinion as to where the mentality started, but it doesn't matter. The U in USA doesn't stand for YOU. We should recognize that, learn to compromise on occasion, and continue to RESPECTFULLY foster the benefits this country has provided to the PEOPLE for over 200 years.
This thread touches on what disturbs me most in today's political climate. The utter lack of RESPECT to opposing views (and yes, I too have been guilty at times). In this country, one can vote Republican, Democrat, Independent, or even Communist as their choice. One can debate issues with those of opposing views in this country. Been that way since the beginning.

What has changed in recent times is that some no longer respect that privilege and resort to name calling, labeling, and shaming those of different viewpoint rather than debate issues of difference on their merit.

Perhaps a function of the internet age where every village idiot has a voice, IDK. Shit, I might also be a village idiot.

Thing is, I expect the leaders of ou country to be above village idiot level and to comport themselves appropriately when interacting with foreign leaders, press and public. They can do what they want DCD, but should be aware that the door is not always closed. Business is not diplomacy and diplomacy is not business.

The level of disrespect to those with opposing views has devolved to the current state and I fear that it tears the very fabric of our nation. I have my opinion as to where the mentality started, but it doesn't matter. The U in USA doesn't stand for YOU. We should recognize that, learn to compromise on occasion, and continue to RESPECTFULLY foster the benefits this country has provided to the PEOPLE for over 200 years. Originally Posted by reddog1951
AMEN BROTHER!
Did you insult the Vice President of the United States?

Seems kinda un-american... Originally Posted by pfunkdenver
Pot meet kettle. You're both black.
Really!

I've always thought voting (regardless of who you vote for) was the most American thing you could do.

But, apparently, if someone votes for a candidate, you don't like, that's un-American?

I'd say discouraging ANY voting is un-american! Originally Posted by pfunkdenver
No, voting for someone who is going to hurt this country is definitely Un American. Anyone who voted for the Harris-Biden ticket should turn in their social security card and leave.
No, not Republicans. Patriots. There’s a difference. If you’re a fan of Hillary, Obama and Biden, you’re clearly not a Patriot. Originally Posted by bambino
No, voting for someone who is going to hurt this country is definitely Un American. Anyone who voted for the Harris-Biden ticket should turn in their social security card and leave. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
I don't think it's possible for me to have a logical, civil discussion with either of you. You both seem to believe you are right, and I'm wrong, no matter what, and anything I post is a waste.

Best of luck to you!
No, voting for someone who is going to hurt this country is definitely Un American. Anyone who voted for Trump should turn in their social security card and leave. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Fixed it for you.
Bittermen.

The level of disrespect to those with opposing views has devolved to the current state and I fear that it tears the very fabric of our nation. I have my opinion as to where the mentality started, but it doesn't matter. The U in USA doesn't stand for YOU. We should recognize that, learn to compromise on occasion, and continue to RESPECTFULLY foster the benefits this country has provided to the PEOPLE for over 200 years. Originally Posted by reddog1951
A few thoughts on this:

1.) I put a lot of the blame on the internet because it does a small handful of things:
A.) It gives everyone a soapbox, and gives people the false impression that the world wants to hear what they have to say.
B.) Because they're not saying it directly to a person's face, people have a habit of sharing things publicly that they elsewise wouldn't, both personal information, as well as opinions.
C.) Because people like to get online to bitch or brag, it gives the impression that the world is on fire, and is driving people into anxious mindsets and actions.
D.) Because of this anxiety, people go looking for communities that share their anxieties, and it turns into masturbatory groupthink at best, and radicalization and terrorism at the worst.

2.) Because of the above, you have a multitude of groups who want things they consider "rights" (see "healthcare is a right" and "housing is a right") and the same groups wanting to take away the rights of others, (limits on free speech, repealing the 2nd amendment), or other radical changes in government. And becuase of the above, people are very passionate about it to the point of violence.

I don't think this is exclusively a US problem, this is a global problem, and everyone is having a problem with it, with countries all reacting differently with different levels of lockdown or restriction.
I don't think it's possible for me to have a logical, civil discussion with either of you. You both seem to believe you are right, and I'm wrong, no matter what, and anything I post is a waste.

Best of luck to you! Originally Posted by pfunkdenver
Why would anyone argue a point if they thought they were wrong. Don't ever use either logical or civil in a sentence again. The truth will strike you dead.
So basically you’re saying that you really believe the fake news, mean spirited and often race based Opinions you post. Never mind there are rarely links attached and you post them with gusto and zeal.

I believe the majority of “conservatives” on this board don’t believe all that fake news grocery store check out line bullshit, but are using ECCIE as a sounding board for their frustrations.

But now we know you’re a true believer. Alrighty then.