What Makes a Legend?

Traveler64...well well well...
Great definition of legend from a pretty legendary BFSE (boyfriend shower experience) if I do say so! Glad to hear from you on this post.

I think legends are different in each person's mind. If you remember them, their laugh, the way they made you feel (physically & emotionally) then that would qualify as a legend in my book. Or, a legendary time.
There are a few ole' legends still lingering around these parts that just can't get enough...he he he...
I have had gentleman walk through my door and say OMG you're a legend and I am finally getting to meet you... (its like are you kidding me, I am just me!!) Originally Posted by fawn

Whatever lady! You are fantabulous F*cking FAWN!

Thanks everyone for the mention of my name. I am proud and flattered to be associated with the ladies that are considered, "Legends".
perhaps you all have a different view of the word legend,

maybe a more appropriate word would be extraordinary?? [see defn below, see esp. the text i bolded].

in my experiences, some of the positively extraordinary woman have been mentioned and some have not yet been mentioned... [in no particular order]
dragonfly, fawnda, ms foster, lexy laye, jenna, indefinable ms. m, sirena dfw, natasha fame, ivy chick, italiana passion, stiletto kitty, tnt kelly, sam milone, dharma, loving kayla, vnurse, sloan mischief, bobbie [from june's tan & dallas spa]

what sets all these women apart, in my book, from the many women i have consulted with over the years is their down-to-earth-ness, their amiability, their total engagement in the consulting session, their willingness to experiment with techniques and/or boundaries, their acceptance [or at least tolerance] of my quirks and their incredible and specific skills!

legend? probably not, since i HAVE ascertained some truths about them that are NOT exaggerated or romanticized!
extraordinary? definitely!!

beautiful? yes!
gorgeous? "dont push it pig!" [joan rivers to ms. piggy in "the muppet movie"]

following from dictionary.com

legend — noun
1. a popular story handed down from earlier times whose truth has not been ascertained
2. a group of such stories: the Arthurian legend
3. a modern story that has taken on the characteristics of a traditional legendary tale
4. a person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits
5. an inscription or title, as on a coin or beneath a coat of arms
6. explanatory matter accompanying a table, map, chart, etc
7. a. a story of the life of a saint
b. a collection of such stories

Origin:
1300–50; 1900–05 for def. 4; Middle English legende written account of a saint's life < Medieval Latin legenda literally, (lesson) to be read, noun use of feminine of Latin legendus, gerund of legere to read; so called because appointed to be read on respective saints' days.

mid-14c., from O.Fr. legende (12c.), from M.L. legenda "legend, story," lit. "(things) to be read," on certain days in church, etc., from neuter plural gerundive of L. legere "to read, gather, select" (see lecture). Used originally of saints' lives; extended sense of "nonhistorical or mythical story" first recorded 1610s. Meaning "writing or inscription" (especially on a coin or medal) is from 1610s; on a map, illustration, etc., from 1903.

Can be confused: fable, legend, myth
Synonyms
1. Legend, fable, myth refer to fictitious stories, usually handed down by tradition (although some fables are modern). Legend, originally denoting a story concerning the life of a saint, is applied to any fictitious story, sometimes involving the supernatural, and usually concerned with a real person, place, or other subject: the legend of the Holy Grail. A fable is specifically a fictitious story (often with animals or inanimate things as speakers or actors) designed to teach a moral: a fable about industrious bees. A myth is one of a class of stories, usually concerning gods, semidivine heroes, etc., current since primitive times, the purpose of which is to attempt to explain some belief or natural phenomenon: the Greek myth about Demeter.

Antonyms
1. fact.

extraordinary - adjective
1. beyond what is usual, ordinary, regular, or established: extraordinary costs.
2. exceptional in character, amount, extent, degree, etc.; noteworthy; remarkable: extraordinary speed; an extraordinary woman. (it originally read "man" but i changed it for this post -pmd)
3. (of an official, employee, etc.) outside of or additional to the ordinary staff; having a special, often temporary task or responsibility: minister extraordinary and plenipotentiary.

1. very unusual, remarkable, or surprising
2. not in an established manner, course, or order
3. employed for particular events or purposes

Origin:
1425–75; late Middle English extraordinarie < Latin extr?ordin?rius beyond what is ordinary. See extra-, ordinary

Synonyms
1. inordinate. 2. uncommon, singular, rare, phenomenal, special, signal.

Antonyms
1, 2. common, usual.
Don't want to age myself,,,but are we not forgetting Diana and her sister Kris...
My mind keeps going to Diana Of Dallas and her sister Kris...
Where are they today....Legends of the past, but still legends to admire.
Probably needs a thread of its own but we could take this totally negative and talk about the "Legends in their own minds"....
Probably needs a thread of its own but we could take this totally negative and talk about the "Legends in their own minds".... Originally Posted by mtabsw
Those threads can be found in the review forum.

Now back to the "legends" theme....I have been with some very legendary ladies and they all have the same thing in common, I TOTALLY felt that I was the center of their world when I was in their presence.
A "legend" in a provider sense, would have to have a few qualities, not in any order:

Consistent over and beyond "service" skills, through reviews and/or first hand knowledge

Absolutely no YMMV, nor "going through the motions" sessions

Consistency in being dependable, there when you need/want her

No drama while is session, just making sure the hobbyist is her world for the time he is there and treats him like he is a king, not a wallet

I am sure there are many other factors, but IMO, these are the top 4 qualities.
A "legend" in a provider sense, would have to have a few qualities, not in any order:

Consistent over and beyond "service" skills, through reviews and/or first hand knowledge

Absolutely no YMMV, nor "going through the motions" sessions

Consistency in being dependable, there when you need/want her

No drama while is session, just making sure the hobbyist is her world for the time he is there and treats him like he is a king, not a wallet

I am sure there are many other factors, but IMO, these are the top 4 qualities. Originally Posted by bigdog0311

Very well put, dog. Legends should be a positive.
And here I got all excited when I saw the title of this thread that it was gonna be about historical Legends like Leonidas....

*sigh*....always a bridesmaid, never a bride....or...you know...something like that with a little more masculinity behind it...
  • fawn
  • 09-06-2011, 08:48 PM
And here I got all excited when I saw the title of this thread that it was gonna be about historical Legends like Leonidas....

*sigh*....always a bridesmaid, never a bride....or...you know...something like that with a little more masculinity behind it... Originally Posted by Ghostdncer

You mean like the Duke?
*sigh*....always a bridesmaid, never a bride....or...you know...something like that with a little more masculinity behind it... Originally Posted by Ghostdncer

Baby, we need to exchange bridesmaids stories. Bring the tequila.
Traveler64...well well well...
Great definition of legend from a pretty legendary BFSE (boyfriend shower experience) if I do say so! Glad to hear from you on this post. :snog Originally Posted by ItalianaPrincess
All I can say Lita is you are are one of those legends, so are your legendary assets, and so is your legendary skill set!! Dang girl!
Baby, we need to exchange bridesmaids stories. Bring the tequila. Originally Posted by Lana Warren
Tequila I got! And stories of 12 weddinings...including one where I was actually the groom, Best Man for 3, groomsman for 7, and one where we got the groom drunk and put him on a plane to New York the night before he was marrying the Anti-Christ...

So technically Best Man for 4....I WAS just doing my job....

Course it kinda depends on what kinda Tequila you'd like...I do have options...
You mean like the Duke? Originally Posted by fawn
Duke...?....of Wellington?...that guy wasn't a Legend...he was first class prick....

Or were we talking about the immortal John Wayne?

*postscript* my Tortoise is up late bathing...and splashing...he never does that...passed his bedtime damnit...