75 Years Ago Real Americans Took On Real Nazis

Pre-eminent author-historian Stephen Ambrose noted and wrote that perhaps no other general -- British or American -- could have worked as well with both the pugnacious Churchill and FDR while harnessing and directing the genius talents of three prima donna generals such as Montgomery, Patton and Bradley. So, you're very wrong in your assessment of Eisenhower. Originally Posted by I B Hankering

Montgomery, I know he was an arrogant prig of a primo.

Patton has his issues.

Bradley, he was a prima donna? He didn't strike me as one.

DeGaulle, now that is a boorish prima donna if there is one.

Monty & DeGaulle... now that is a toss up....
Montgomery, I know he was an arrogant prig of a primo.

Patton has his issues.

Bradley, he was a prima donna? He didn't strike me as one.

DeGaulle, now that is a boorish prima donna if there is one.

Monty & DeGaulle... now that is a toss up.... Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
In his book, "Bitter Victory: The Battle for Sicily, 1943," author/historian Carlos D'Este relates that Montgomery's myopic focus for the mission at hand made him appear as more of an egoist than he actually was. Patton's opinion of Montgomery was more projection than fact. Hence, in that regard, the movie Patton wholly misrepresents Montgomery's character. D'Este also relates that Bradley was really a back-biting SOB: tearing others, e.g., Patton, down behind their backs. It disturbed me to learn that, because I'd always admired Bradley. I've really not read much about De Gaulle.
  • Tiny
  • 06-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Great thread. Thanks to the posters here, especially IB for his keen analysis of the personalities of the allied generals. Also to Barleycorn for the family story, and reminding us about the Battle of Midway. If there's any battle in the history of America that would demonstrate divine intervention, that's it.