Weather

We should be thankful if the consequences of Harvey are not as severe in the Houston area as forecast, but we are a long way from being out of danger. As the media indicated, this is an ongoing multi-day event, with torrential rain, flooding, and numerous pop-up tornadoes possible, and damage has already been confirmed in our vicinity. I'm under both a flash flood AND a tornado warning at this very moment, which makes me quite nervous as the Irish Chihuahua Refuge has been severely spanked by Mother Nature before. I'm appreciative of the advisories I'm getting both by cell phone and on TV.

Personally, I think preparing for the worst while hoping for the best helps insure that I'm not caught with my pretty panties down in a disaster. I took the appropriate precautions as suggested by the media and stocked up, and am very glad I did. As predicted, my access road in and out is underwater, and the creek is still rising, so I won't be going anywhere for quite some time. (My home is on a hill, so if I flood, Noah is coming with the Ark for us all.) My entertainment will be restricted to bargain basement bin movies, meatloaf, Munchos, M & Ms, and Monopoly this weekend. Just hoping the power stays on, as the trees are swaying ominously, and all of this moisture may weaken root systems. Flashlights and chainsaw ready.
I am from Texas..spent most of my life dealing with tornados,floods,hurricanes and such...I had enough to know its better to be prepared and cautious..... I even spent 4 hot muggy days in a 3rd floor apartment with a 2 year old during hurricane Ike in new orleans..that was enough for me!
I think I would rather deal with snow. Lol

Stay safe everyone!
Pretty sure this storm is not a joke. I have family in Rockport and we are discussing who is going to put them up now since they are most likely homeless. The damage is still be assessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNBmV0BzWII
Pretty sure this storm is not a joke. I have family in Rockport and we are discussing who is going to put them up now since they are most likely homeless. The damage is still be assessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNBmV0BzWII Originally Posted by CurvyKatie
Wowsa. I recognize the remains of many of the structures in the vid. So sorry for your folks and others affected, CK. Been there, done that. Lost my previous residence to a storm in 1994 plus some of my beloved pets to raging water that rose unexpectedly in the wee hours when Lake Conroe authorities released the flood gates on the dam without warning. My house downstream was condemned, 95% of my possessions ruined, including my vehicle and the home-based business that was my sole support. I was homeless for over 4 months during the holidays, lived in a friend's garage with my remaining critters until I gathered the money to put a down payment on the place I'm in now. (And let me send a shout-out to the Salvation Army and the Red Cross, who stepped in to help and provided me with a new bed to sleep on in that garage, a microwave and a small fridge for vittles, space heaters to keep the drafty room warm, and vouchers for food, clothing, and other necessities. Wonderful organizations in time of need, so start donating NOW as I'm sure they will need funds.) Tragic memories, but that trite adage about what doesn't kill us makes us stronger IS completely true.

Wishing the best for your family. Only thing that really matters is that they survived the calamity healthy. All else can be overcome.
On Click2, it would be better if Rachel, Britta and Jennifer posted some taint for you. Originally Posted by TryWeakly
Fox news "commentator" just stated a little while ago while the camera was pointed a doorway in the Austin State EM Headquarters waiting for the Governor to give a press conference ...

.. "that is the door way Governor Abbott will walk through shortly"!

And "Lee" got transferred by C-SPAN?
Would he have gotten flak if he said "rolled through" ? Me thincks that there might be backlash ifn he did.
Would he have gotten flak if he said "rolled through" ? Me thincks that there might be backlash ifn he did. Originally Posted by TryWeakly
Probably ... but he could have simply said ....

"that's the door the Governor will be entering" ..... OR!

Nothing at all!!!!!

(I noticed he wasn't there after the break!. Perhaps on his way to Port Lavaca to fill in during the "clean up" for next six weeks!)

Its never a joke to those affected by the storm.

But as hurricanes go Harvey was a big nothing. The over hype by the media should serve as a wake up call to the media.

It is a joke. Most of the damage is unknown which means that nothing really happened. Trust me if the storm hit hard, you would know quickly what the damage entailed. I am sure some people will suffer but it seems to be mostly surface in comparison to other storms that were truly catastrophic from the loss of life and the severe damage to property. I suspect a lot of FEMA fraud to come out of this storm. People want to collect.
You are a real dipshit WolfWhistle. Yes something happened. Yes there are homes lost. My family is NOT trying to collect from fema and now with the flooding we have six different households that are flooded out in our family and they are all needing places to go. I suspect the flooding has now gotten to some of you.

Everyone please stay safe and watch out. The flooding came in the middle of the night for our and aunt and uncle who just barely got out.

What is it gonna take for you to grow up WolfWhistle and act like a real fucking human being? I am sure even your own mother can't stand you.
(And let me send a shout-out to the Salvation Army and the Red Cross, who stepped in to help and provided me with a new bed to sleep on in that garage, a microwave and a small fridge for vittles, space heaters to keep the drafty room warm, and vouchers for food, clothing, and other necessities. Wonderful organizations in time of need, so start donating NOW as I'm sure they will need funds.)
Originally Posted by Fancyinheels
Personally I was gonna go to Amazon.com and send some pet food over to the animal shelters. I hear they are overwhelmed over here in Austin where many animals have been sent (speaking of charities).
Yeah it was a joke ok...
hope everyone is safe.
I almost venture out for the fight .. glad I stayed home
You are a real dipshit WolfWhistle. Yes something happened. Yes there are homes lost. My family is NOT trying to collect from fema and now with the flooding we have six different households that are flooded out in our family and they are all needing places to go. I suspect the flooding has now gotten to some of you.

Everyone please stay safe and watch out. The flooding came in the middle of the night for our and aunt and uncle who just barely got out.

What is it gonna take for you to grow up WolfWhistle and act like a real fucking human being? I am sure even your own mother can't stand you. Originally Posted by CurvyKatie
I would normally say something witty or smart in the spirit of Houston but since you are so stressed out I won't say anything except to look at the time of my post. I am not a meteorologist and weather forecasting isn't exactly 100 percent accurate. Here's lookin at you, kid.
Yeah it was a joke ok...
hope everyone is safe.
I almost venture out for the fight .. glad I stayed home Originally Posted by Makeoutbandit
If Houston had been built better, that is having a better roads and a more viable drainage system, there wouldn't so much flooding. It always floods more or less whenever it rains in Houston. This mismanaged city has potholes older than some adults.
But as hurricanes go Harvey was a big nothing. Originally Posted by pyramider
Thank you on behalf of all those in the Port Lavaca area and inland.