S0 Texas is opening back up.. What are you doing??

Hopefully any subsequent shutdowns will be more robust with fewer people and businesses being deemed essential. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
For a liberal, you don't seem to have much sympathy or compassion for the low wage worker who lives paycheck to paycheck or the small business owner running a small Mom-and-Pop restaurant or store or barber shop. Don't tell me about PPP, because they still have rent and utilities and other expenses to pay and it isn't going to cover that. The government can't print enough money to save them from what is being inflicted on them.
Yes, staying at home for two years would be extremely difficult and should be avoided. The way to do have a three to four month SERIOUS social distancing policy, and then to test everyone every week or so. Isolate or even quarantine those who test positive. And track and trade all of their contacts within a minimum period. Then everyone Who has had any contact with them is isolated for 15 days. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
What you're describing here sounds to me like a police state.

Test everyone every week? Are you serious? Even an enormous operation like the census doesn't seem to be able to find everyone in a month or two, much less every week. What about the homeless? Or itinerate workers? Who's going to go find them? And can you imagine the lines at the testing centers? That will make the Drivers License office look like nothing. And with social distancing and 6-foot spacing the line will stretch for miles. And even though there's a lot of testing capability in the major labs, I seriously doubt there's capacity to process 330 million tests every week. What about the logistics or handling and transporting the samples, and the communication problem of getting the results back to the person who was tested? What about following up on the positive results, who is going to handle that? The resources don't exist to pull it off.

In any event, all of this shutdown stuff isn't going to work. It's sounding more and more like Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx are going down the wrong path. The virus won't go away until there's a vaccine or until herd immunity develops. There won't be a vaccine soon enough to really help in the near term, so the best we can reasonably do without destroying the economy is to recommend those we know to be vulnerable take precautions, regulate situations like nursing homes and similar facilities, and let everyone else go about their business until sufficient immunity develops. See what Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH, FACPM, FACP, FACLM has to say about that: https://davidkatzmd.com/. More highly-qualified experts are emerging that agree with him.
I don't know about Dallas, but Longview has some restaraunts that are seating.
For a liberal, you don't seem to have much sympathy or compassion for the low wage worker who lives paycheck to paycheck or the small business owner running a small Mom-and-Pop restaurant or store or barber shop. Don't tell me about PPP, because they still have rent and utilities and other expenses to pay and it isn't going to cover that. The government can't print enough money to save them from what is being inflicted on them.
What you're describing here sounds to me like a police state.

Test everyone every week? Are you serious? Even an enormous operation like the census doesn't seem to be able to find everyone in a month or two, much less every week. What about the homeless? Or itinerate workers? Who's going to go find them? And can you imagine the lines at the testing centers? That will make the Drivers License office look like nothing. And with social distancing and 6-foot spacing the line will stretch for miles. And even though there's a lot of testing capability in the major labs, I seriously doubt there's capacity to process 330 million tests every week. What about the logistics or handling and transporting the samples, and the communication problem of getting the results back to the person who was tested? What about following up on the positive results, who is going to handle that? The resources don't exist to pull it off.

In any event, all of this shutdown stuff isn't going to work. It's sounding more and more like Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx are going down the wrong path. The virus won't go away until there's a vaccine or until herd immunity develops. There won't be a vaccine soon enough to really help in the near term, so the best we can reasonably do without destroying the economy is to recommend those we know to be vulnerable take precautions, regulate situations like nursing homes and similar facilities, and let everyone else go about their business until sufficient immunity develops. See what Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH, FACPM, FACP, FACLM has to say about that: https://davidkatzmd.com/. More highly-qualified experts are emerging that agree with him. Originally Posted by billw1032

I own two small businesses. And it’s not my plan, it’s one developed by epidemiologists and a Nobel prize winning economist. Had it been implemented, we’d only be shut down three to five months once it started. Now we’re on a rollercoaster that is going to be going two Yo three years and will likely have at least a few more six week plus shutdowns to keep medical facilities from becoming overwhelmed the way they were in NYC, Spain, and Italy. See link below for nickle description of their work.

And opening businesses Back up won’t do one bit of good if people deaths continue to rise. People, at least the vast majority of people, aren’t coming back to stores, restaurants, etc. until they think it’s safe.

Restaurants are a very tough case. Especially places that get all or almost all of their income from dine in. They in fir a very rough couple of years and sadly the vast, vast majority of them will perish no matter what we do. Operating at 25% or half capacity won’t help them, and will only spread more contagion. And as someone who loves fine dining, and travels four or five times a year to other cities for long weekends or more primarily to eat out, it’s heartbreaking and tragic. I gave friends and acquaintances who are permanently shutting their restaurants. Others who are riding out shutdowns. And others that are trying to make a go at least temporarily to take out. All of their alternatives are frankly miserable. And it’s heartbreaking.

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...ce-coronavirus
I don't know about Dallas, but Longview has some restaraunts that are seating. Originally Posted by averageguy12367
So does Dallas. And it’s a cluster fuck, which is all we should expect given the horrible national and statewide leadership.

https://blogmaverick.com/2020/05/07/...-its-not-good/
I have been in Dallas all week...and it seems like lots of people are still out n about
I have been wearing my mask!
So does Dallas. And it’s a cluster fuck, which is all we should expect given the horrible national and statewide leadership.

https://blogmaverick.com/2020/05/07/...-its-not-good/ Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Why wouldn't you blame the local dictators?
  • Aoi
  • 05-20-2020, 02:45 PM
Why wouldn't you blame the local dictators? Originally Posted by friendly fred
Because he doesn't want to blame Democrats.
  • Aoi
  • 05-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Why wouldn't you blame the local dictators? Originally Posted by friendly fred
Because he doesn't want to blame Democrats.
Healthy people (i.e. those without hypertension, diabetes, heart disease and obesity) have very little to fear.

Either way, as soon as the strip clubs open up I'm going to see some live, naked women! Originally Posted by friendly fred
Me too but I’m getting their numbers this time.
I agree the worst is yet to come.. I too believe sometime in June we will see soaring death rates.. I am very sympathetic to the people needing to work, and I do not think it can be done safely. At some point workers will let their guard down and become infected.. I also believe the reference to provider contact is a valid concern. You are not going to expose your lady friends information to a tracer for many reasons.. Nor they yours hopefully... This includes affairs, suburban massages, etc. etc. So tracing is going to be ineffective as well.. Our only hope is a treatment or vaccine no matter how long it takes.. .
  • Aoi
  • 05-20-2020, 05:41 PM
I agree the worst is yet to come.. I too believe sometime in June we will see soaring death rates.. I am very sympathetic to the people needing to work, and I do not think it can be done safely. At some point workers will let their guard down and become infected.. I also believe the reference to provider contact is a valid concern. You are not going to expose your lady friends information to a tracer for many reasons.. Nor they yours hopefully... This includes affairs, suburban massages, etc. etc. So tracing is going to be ineffective as well.. Our only hope is a treatment or vaccine no matter how long it takes.. . Originally Posted by Zee Man

So wait twenty fucking years for a vaccine?

What else do you think? People should have their cars repo'd to prevent vehicular fatalities?
So wait twenty fucking years for a vaccine?

What else do you think? People should have their cars repo'd to prevent vehicular fatalities? Originally Posted by Aoi
Either that, or drive super slow like everything is a school zone.

We should make chopping down trees illegal - fuckers get hurt doing that all the time.

Maybe we should make it illegal to be outside when lightning strikes!
Me too but I’m getting their numbers this time. Originally Posted by FunMonday
Sounds like a good strategy!
I agree the worst is yet to come.. I too believe sometime in June we will see soaring death rates.. I am very sympathetic to the people needing to work, and I do not think it can be done safely. At some point workers will let their guard down and become infected.. I also believe the reference to provider contact is a valid concern. You are not going to expose your lady friends information to a tracer for many reasons.. Nor they yours hopefully... This includes affairs, suburban massages, etc. etc. So tracing is going to be ineffective as well.. Our only hope is a treatment or vaccine no matter how long it takes.. . Originally Posted by Zee Man
Zee "Man"?

Maybe you should consider changing your name?

If it makes you feel any better we have a treatment - convalescent plasma.
  • BLM69
  • 05-20-2020, 06:44 PM
I just hope professional sports come back, football and basketball, the rest could stay shut down